RQG Corrections Thread

MOB

Page 384

Unless otherwise specified in the spell description, it costs
1 additional magic point to increase the intensity of a spell
by one level; or double the amount of magic points if it
uses a Rune or technique that the sorcerer has not mastered.

Page 385

Sorcery Strength table

Intensity, Magic Point Cost (mastered/unmastered), Damage

1 (base), 0, 1D3
2, +1/+2, 1D3

These both imply that the cost can only ever be doubled once, regardless of how many runes/techniques are not mastered.

Page 386

Example: Damastol also knows the Logical Clarity spell (Truth
+ Dispel) at 42%, but because his affinity with the Illusion rune
is through its opposite (Truth) and because he only knows Dispel
as an insight of Summons, it costs 4 magic points to cast, plus 4
magic points for each additional level of intensity.

This implies that the +2 in the intensity tables might be more than that if there are two runes/techniques that are not mastered. If the spell has 4 like Attract Missiles, and all four are unmastered, it is +16 MP per level! The tables could easily say "+1/+2/+4..." to clarify this, and p384 could say "or double the amount of magic points per Rune or technique that the sorcerer has not mastered."

Page 392

Conflagration

Damage table is unnecessary, as it is identical to the spell strength damage table. Other spells state "with the amount determined by consulting the Sorcery Strength table on page 385", this one could do so too.

Page 400

Steal Breath

This spell allows the caster to convert 3 cubic meters of air
into 1D6 magic points per round. Every 2 levels of strength
added to the spell add another 3 cubic meters of air to be
converted into 1D6 more magic points.

Is this really 1D6 per round for 25 rounds, for just 2 points? Or is it just 1D6, with extra strength required to extend it to further volumes of air over subsequent rounds?

Page 254

Each point of spirit magic requires 1 point of CHA.
An adventurer’s maximum potential spell capacity
equals their CHA.

Page 384

A sorcerer may manipulate spells up to their Free INT, a
value equaling their INT minus the number of points of
sorcery and spirit magic possessed.

So sorcerers are limited by both INT and CHA? Are non-sorcerers limited in their spirit magic by INT as well?

Page 357

The fetch must maintain enough POW
to keep these captured spirits, at a ratio of 1 point of POW
to 1 point of captured spirits’ POW. If the POW is lost, the
spirits depart, always with the largest first, and weakest last.

Presumably a shaman can choose to release a smaller spirit prior to spending the Fetch's POW. I don't think it actually says anywhere that a shaman can voluntarily release a spirit from their Fetch at all!

1 hour ago, PhilHibbs said:

So sorcerers are limited by both INT and CHA? Are non-sorcerers limited in their spirit magic by INT as well?

No, sorcerers are limited by INT and Free INT.  However, knowing spirit magic counts against their Free INT.

Spirit magic is limited by CHA - you have to show the spirits who is boss.  And non-sorcerers are not limited in spirit magic by INT or Free INT.

If you want to become some weirdo warlock following Argrath with a mix of magics, though, you get affected.

page 338 

Sever Spirit
3 Points
Ranged, Temporal
This spell acts as a sword to cut the bond between the body and spirit of the target. The caster must make a successful POW vs. POW resistance roll. If successful, the target dies. If unsuccessful, the target takes 1D6 damage to general hit points.

Temporal =15 min. This spell can be used several times?  (RQ3= Instant / RQ2= also "15 min")

RQ2 Sever Spirit was "one use for rune masters". I think it it too powerful reusable for initiates ...

2 minutes ago, mallion said:

page 338 

Temporal =15 min. This spell can be used several times?  (RQ3= Instant / RQ2= also "15 min")

RQ2 Sever Spirit was "one use for rune masters". I think it it too powerful reusable for initiates ...

Yes, in the new rules, Sever Spirit only kills the target for 15 minutes, then they come back to life again. This is clearly as it always should have been. 😁

• Like 2

Page 80:

VASANA'S SAGA

Her Battle skill has gone down, it was 70% on page 79, now it is 65% including +5% category modifier. Also Farm should be 35% not 30%, Javelin should be 25% not 20%.

Edited by PhilHibbs

Conversion Guide Pg 434:

"Skills
While many skills are equivalent between these two editions,
there are significantly more RQ:G skills, and some RQ:G
skills appeared in supplemental RQ2/3 material and were
not described in the core rulebook.
. . If the base chance of the skill is higher in RQ2/3,
add the difference in base chances to the new skill
value. For example, Evaluate Treasure (RQ2) has a
base chance of (10) while in RQ:G the Evaluate skill
has a base chance of (05). Add +5 to the Evaluate
skill when converting an RQ2 adventurer to RQ:G.
These modifiers are provided below."

The table with modifiers is above

BUT the whole section confuses me if the earlier version base was higher than RQG add to the score you are bringing across? Should that not be deduct? Conversely where the RQG base score is higher and Climb & Jump are examples there is no modification - surely this is where there should be an add?

OR is there something missing entirely? An assumption that what is being bought across is not the existing (RQ2 or 3) value BUT the level of change so current minus base minus attribute modifier = result And this is then added to the RQG base plus attribute modifier to get a new total?? If so this is never actually said.

On 6/2/2018 at 4:56 AM, Oracle said:

Barbarian Town vs. Exile Stead

In all new maps as well as in the section about the Prax Region the Pol-Joni town at the eastern side of the Stormwalk Mts. is called Barbarian town.

But in the map depicting Vasana's journey on page 19 it is called Exile Stead.

Long-time Glorantha fans will know, that both names are used for the same town, but people new to Glorantha may not get this. It's nowhere explained, and in fact in the map on page 19 Exile Stead is even located at a different place than Barbarian Town on the new maps (In fact according to all other exiting maps, especially in the Argan Argar Atlas and in the Guide, the location of Barbarian Town at Sounder's River in the new maps is wrong).

I'm fairly sure there are two places. Barbarian Town as in the Pol Joni centre needs to be where they are which is North on the march between Sartar & the Good Place in Prax.

Exile stead (which does move a bit) has to do with the Herotland exiles ??

So we have one missing me thinks?

4 hours ago, Furry Fella said:

I'm fairly sure there are two places. Barbarian Town as in the Pol Joni centre needs to be where they are which is North on the march between Sartar & the Good Place in Prax.

Exile stead (which does move a bit) has to do with the Herotland exiles ??

So we have one missing me thinks?

Both names describe the same place.

Exile Stead refers to the Berennethtelli survivors of the conflict with Lokamayadon that led to the immolation of Brolarulf the Poet, who fled to the outskirts of Prax to avoid further damage from this feud. This is where Harmast Barefoot grew up and managed to get initiated despite Lokamayadon having usurped the initiation myth, leading an entire generation of Heortling initiands to their deaths or at least spiritual damage and unable to reach Orlanth.

Here's a thread discussing this:

Dundealos tribal lands used to end a good way north of this, but when the tribe was dismantled by the Lunars who constructed the New Temple on their lands, significant portions of that tribe fled south and re-populated the hard to secure farmland (but ok grazing) around this place.

You might say this was the traditional "oasis" for the Pol Joni, but saying it was their center would ignore their dominance in the higher quality grazing grounds between Adari and Swenstown.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

8 hours ago, Furry Fella said:

if the earlier version base was higher than RQG add to the score you are bringing across? Should that not be deduct?

I believe the intent is to keep your overall level the same.  So you reduce the base level by 5%, but add to your overall skill to compensate.

I may have overseen this in this long thread, but something seems to be slightly inconsistent in the combat rule :

. . If both combatants have combat skills of greater
than 100%, the combat skills of each is reduced
by the amount the highest skill is above 100%.

So actually during combat, the final chances of success never go beyond 100% (except if one of he combatant neither parries nor dodges, a very unlikely event). Then, on same page:

the chance of a special or critical success continues
to increase or decrease, based on the final
modified chance of success

...hence based on the 100% for the highest skilled fighter, and a special never go beyond 20% and a critical beyond 5%

Which contradicts the following:

Thus, a Wind Lord
with a 150% sword skill has a 30% of a special
success, and an 8% chance of a critical hit

... which he will never enjoy because his final modified chances of success will never go beyond 100%

Or did I miss a point ?

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

10 minutes ago, Zit said:

I may have overseen this in this long thread, but something seems to be slightly inconsistent in the combat rule :

So actually during combat, the final chances of success never go beyond 100% (except if one of he combatant neither parries nor dodges, a very unlikely event). Then, on same page:

...hence based on the 100% for the highest skilled fighter, and a special never go beyond 20% and a critical beyond 5%

Which contradicts the following:

... which he will never enjoy because his final modified chances of success will never go beyond 100%

Or did I miss a point ?

I take it to mean that the reduction to 100% doesn't count into the "final modified skill", it comes after that as it were.

No idea if that's correct, but the only way I can make sense of the text.

8 minutes ago, Zit said:

...his final modified chances of success will never go beyond 100%

Or did I miss a point ?

You only reduce skills over 100 if both characters have over 100. So if Mr 150% is facing 90%, he has a 30% special chance.

I'm not a fan of the rule about reducing skills, as most people will have several different skills and you will end up doing loads of subtraction all the time. "No, I'm dodging, I have 142 in that, I parried last round and I have 135 in shield".

• Like 1