RQG Corrections Thread

MOB

28 minutes ago, HorusArisen said:

Any good suggestions? And it’s not exactly unrelated to the issue of errata is it.

How about here? 

• Like 2

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

43 minutes ago, waltshumate said:

pg 207

. . STR/DEX: The minimum necessary STR and
DEX required to handle the weapon. An excess
of STR makes up for a lack of DEX, on a 2 for 1
basis. Thus, an adventurer with a 10 STR and a
12 DEX can use a rapier (which requires a 7 STR
and a 13 DEX). If both STR and DEX are below
the requirements, all attacks and parries with the
weapon are performed at half skill.

Should this be

If STR or DEX are below the requirements, all attacks and parries with the weapon are performed at half skill.  Otherwise in the Rapier example if you have a STR of 7 or more your DEX is  irrelevant. It seems to be the RQ2 rule with the half skill bit added. In RQ3 you had -5% for each point DEX and STR were below the minimums.

To me the text you quoted is clear.

If both STR and DEX are below the requirements, all attacks and parries with the weapon are performed at half skill. A character with DEX 11 and STR 11 will be able to wield a Rapier at normal skill, although his style will be markedly variant from the normal style.

It isn't clear whether excess DEX can make up for lack in STR.

Given the availability of spirit magic spells that cause temporary increases in either of these stats, it makes sense to train a weapon even if it cannot be used without a penalty without that boost. I do wonder whether having too low stats lets you roll your skill increase ticks against full or against half skill, though. Can training under adverse conditions make improvement easier?

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

To me the text you quoted is clear.

If both STR and DEX are below the requirements, all attacks and parries with the weapon are performed at half skill. A character with DEX 11 and STR 11 will be able to wield a Rapier at normal skill, although his style will be markedly variant from the normal style.

It isn't clear whether excess DEX can make up for lack in STR.

Given the availability of spirit magic spells that cause temporary increases in either of these stats, it makes sense to train a weapon even if it cannot be used without a penalty without that boost. I do wonder whether having too low stats lets you roll your skill increase ticks against full or against half skill, though. Can training under adverse conditions make improvement easier?

According to the last sentence BOTH characteristics have to be below the requirements, which clearly not the case in the example.   If the last sentence was " After adjustment for excess strength, if either  STR or DEX  are below the requirements, all attacks and parries with the weapon are performed at half skill."  it would be clear. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HorusArisen said:

Asked earlier but how will we know when the pdf is updated with corrections? Apparently Chaosium don’t do emails like Drivethrurpg.

I’d like to keep buying direct from the Chaosium store but it’s going to be frustrating if I keep having to ask have there been any updates.

I'd note that I purchased the main Call of Cthulhu 7th edition titles through Chaosium and as they've updated the pdf, I have regularly received notice of that via email.

At some point there will likely be an errata thread for RQG as there is here for Call of Cthulhu: 

On 6/3/2018 at 2:57 PM, oltamy said:

Page 33: "determined By the Occupation table on page 63".

There is no ocuupation table on page 63.

— 

20 hours ago, metcalph said:

p390.  New spells have a beginning percentage of 1D6 + magic skills category bonus.

I saw that, but that section is about learning a spell in game. There's no indication (to me, anyway) that it also applies at character creation. That's a valid interpretation, to be sure, but either way, it seems unclear to me.

Edited by mr_batguano

p. 415, second column, fourth paragraph says that for an experience roll, "A modified roll over 100 is always a success", but p. 416, first column, fifth paragraph says that "a result of 100 always merits improvement". Suggest changing "A modified roll over 100" on p. 415 to "A modified roll of 100 or more".

Edited by trystero

— 

p. 200, first column, paragraphs seven and eight: "Any subsequent parry is at a cumulative –20% penalty for each additional parry" and "Subsequent parries are at a cumulative –20% penalty" are superfluous. May I suggest dropping paragraph eight and recasting this portion of paragraph seven as "Each subsequent parry suffers a cumulative –20% penalty", omitting the redundant "for each additional parry"?

Edited by trystero

— 

Index: not all page-number entries are hyperlinked. In the entry for "Melee Weapon", for instance, pp. 61, 65, 300, 302, and 305 are not hyperlinked (but the other page numbers listed in the same entry are).

— 

First of all, I apologize for my clumsy English: I write much worse than I read.

Although it is not exactly an errata (maybe it could be considered an errata by omission), I consider it's a surprising lack that has caused great discussions in my near 30 year group of RQ3 players, and that is a standard in modern games:

Why isn´t there an extensive example of a complete combat, with different situations, movements, SR calculations, results, etc? 

Particularly, it could be confusing for new players the SR system when there are multiple actions in the same turn: move, attack, weapon change, missile weapons with s/SR fire rate, spells, etc.

Considering how numerous the examples are in other sections, it would be convinient to solve all the doubts derivated from the complex RQ combat system, a good, extensive, one-page ilustration.

Edited by kiryamo
  • Like 2

Bandits are listed on page 65 as having cuirboilli cuirass, and hide or quilted skirt. Neither cuirboilli cuirass, hide skirts, nor quilted skirts are listed on the armor table on page 215. The protection rating is listed on page 65, which is good, but there's no way to tell what the ENC, Cost, or Move Silently modifier is.

• Like 1

Back cover, second column, paragraph six (fifth bullet in list): There seems to be a word missing before "sorcery": "A guide to the Runes and other types of magic, from spirit magic, sorcery, to incredible Rune magic…". Suggest changing to "A guide to the Runes and other types of magic, from spirit magic, to sorcery, to incredible Rune magic…".

(I also think it's a little weird to say "Runes and other types of magic" and then mention "Rune magic", but that's not an error, just a matter of taste.)

— 

p. 57, second column, tenth paragraph: "if a bonus would make a skill start below 00%, write in 00%" is confusing, since bonuses add. Suggest changing to "if a skills category penalty would make a skill start below 00%, write in 00%".

— 

On page 209, the chart about hammers, maces and clubs. The maul (typically used by Uzko and dealing 2D8 dg) is listed as having a STR requirement of only 11 (instead of 17 in the previous RQ3 edition) whereas the heavy mace (dealing 1D8 dg) has a STR requirement of 13. Plus the ENC is only 3 (that might not being a mistake however since the ENC rules seem different from the previous edition in which it used to be 5).

Edited by jps

Hi, 

p. 295, on top of the right column, about Eurmal's associated cults, more precisely the other lightbringers, it is said that Eurmal provides no magic to them (nor do they provide magic to him). However some lightbringers cult description  says otherwise :  he is said to provide Clever Tongue to Issaries (p. 299 left column) and Lankhor Mhy(p. 299), Charisma to Orlanth (right column, p. 302). A trickster trick ?  

[And there's the issue on p. 148 in the example of damage to the head, incorrectly limited to two time initial damages (I see someone transmitted it to MOB, my mail is copied on one of the first messages in the present thread - thanks)]

p. 6, second column, paragraph ten: "Some D4s have the result number at the base of the pyramid, while others have it on the bottom"… don't "base" and "bottom" mean the same thing in this context? Suggest changing to "Some D4s have the result number at the base of the pyramid, while others have it at the top".

• Haha 1

— 

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

In order to meet our print deadline, please list any suggested corrections on this thread by SUNDAY JUNE 10 AT 12 NOON US EASTERN TIME (that's 5PM GMT).

Please remember to quote the page number, the error, and the suggested correction. We're looking to fix any typos and inconsistencies before we go to print. Word-smithing, layout improvements, challenges to Gloranthan lore, “gee I wish you would add”, or similar, are simply not helpful at this stage.

After the print deadline, we can still update the PDF, but any later approved corrections will have to go into a subsequent printing of the book.

• Thanks 2

• MOB pinned this topic

Logical Clarity spell p.396 is given as Dispel Truth when I'm pretty sure it should be Dispel Illusion. The example of Damastol using it on p.386 gives it as Dispel Truth again but the rest of the example refers to Illusion currently making no sense. And Dispelling Truth is hardly conducive to logical clarity so I think a minor error has appeared in these two entries. 

1 hour ago, CJ said:

Logical Clarity spell p.396 is given as Dispel Truth when I'm pretty sure it should be Dispel Illusion. The example of Damastol using it on p.386 gives it as Dispel Truth again but the rest of the example refers to Illusion currently making no sense. And Dispelling Truth is hardly conducive to logical clarity so I think a minor error has appeared in these two entries. 

Someone who has studied and mastered the power of Truth would be better at casting Logical Clarity than someone who has studied the power of Illusion.

7 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Someone who has studied and mastered the power of Truth would be better at casting Logical Clarity than someone who has studied the power of Illusion.

That is so but the Technique is Dispel. If it were Summon Truth absolutely. In all other Dispel the Technique reduces the influence of the Rune. Plus the example cited mentions Illusion and makes no sense if this is not a wrong symbol typo?