RQG Corrections Thread

MOB

Page 70

Philosopher

(Sorcery spell) +10% is listed twice and (Sorcery spell) +20% once, I'm guessing that means you get three spell skills, but they are jumbled up in among other skills which is a bit odd.

Edited by PhilHibbs

On 6/9/2018 at 6:41 AM, hanataka said:

Actually, this is not a mistake point. You can ignore it if you intentionally do so. But it is a very important matter for me.

p.272 Divine Intervention: Procedure (second paragraph)
In appealing for divine intervention, the adventurer must first permanently sacrifice 1 Rune point and then the player must state in a precise way what their adventurer wishes the divine intervention to achieve.

Paying the cost first will mean you need a cost even if you fail. On old (RQ2/RQ3) rule, no cost was required for the failed appealing for Divine Intervention.  It seems to be too expensive to permanently consume 1 Rune point for failing attempts.

Can you change it to temporary consumption?

This is intentional. 

Adventurers have many more opportunities to increase their POW during Sacred Time, and it's assumed that they will be sacrificing additional POW to earn as many Rune points as much as possible, so they can use Rune magic. 

We're not eager to allow Divine Intervention attempts (considering these can be augmented!) at the cost of something as easily-recovered as a Rune point.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Page 70

Philosopher

(Sorcery spell) +10% is listed twice and (Sorcery spell) +20% once, I'm guessing that means you get three spell skills, but they are jumbled up in among other skills which is a bit odd.

Yes, these should have been alphabetized. 

2 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

Opposed Rolls.

RQG p.142: "To make an opposed roll, both participants roll their respective abilities. If both participants succeed, the winner is whoever achieved the better result." 

RQG p.144 says that a tie is "where both participants achieve the same type of success but roll the same number."

Which is "the better result" if both participants achieve the same type of success but roll different numbers? Is it the higher or the lower rolled result?

We'll clarify the language in the .pdf and for future printings. Ultimately, it's results you're comparing, not specific dice numbers. 

• Thanks 1

Page 314:

Resistance Roll

An adventurer may try to augment
their chance of success with the resistance roll by using an
appropriate ability or through Meditation (see Increasing
Chance of Success with Magic on page 244).

The Meditation section on pages 244-245 doesn't say anything specific about the resistance roll, only casting chance. Are the bonuses for Meditation, Ritual Practice, Dance, Sing, or speaking a magical language intended to be added to both?

Edited by PhilHibbs

46 minutes ago, Jason Durall said:

We'll clarify the language in the .pdf and for future printings. Ultimately, it's results you're comparing, not specific dice numbers. 

So if both roll a success it it is irrelevant who rolled higher or lower?

1 hour ago, Jason Durall said:

Just comparing the quality of results, just as if you parried an attack. 

Which means a huge number of ties, and a big advantage for passive/defensive characters when there is one.

Page 359, 
Gain First Shamanic Ability makes it very clear that only the first Shamanic Ability is for free.
I find no glue that taboos would be tide to Shamanic abilities. 
Adding Shamanic Abilities gives an impression that you may pay more characteristics to gain more abilities. And taboos tells you to restart the counter. 
Does this mean that if you get on stage 4 (earlier) two success, one loss and 3 success, you get one ability for free, pay 1 for next, two for third, then the counter is reset, pay 1 for the fourth, two for fifth and 3 for sixth?

image.png.c6b561c2cf1daef10331aa1e85c268e3.png

Edited by Risto Welling

9 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Page 314:

The Meditation section on pages 244-245 doesn't say anything specific about the resistance roll, only casting chance. Are the bonuses for Meditation, Ritual Practice, Dance, Sing, or speaking a magical language intended to be added to both? 

As I understand it, you can augment any skill with any other skill so long as it passes GM approval. So the order of events would be:

1. PC spends time meditating before the spell and makes a meditate roll.
  2. PC makes the spellcasting roll, with or without the bonus
  3. PC rolls to augment the resistance roll with the meditate skill. It's unclear whether a failed roll in step one would prevent this roll from happening. Probably a "ask for GM approval" situation.
  4. PC rolls on the resistance table with the augment modifier (good or bad).

We have reached the deadline where we need to send RQG to print, so this thread is now closed.

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed here, it is greatly appreciated!

Subsequent correction suggestions should be posted on this new thread (which we will open once the updated PDF is released). We will continue to update PDFs on the Chaosium website, DriveThru RPG, and Bits & Mortar but any later approved corrections will now go into a subsequent printing of the book.

Edited by MOB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• MOB locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Yes, the deadlines have been reached. Many thanks to all who participated and contributed.

I cannot help but be reminded of another speech given:

STAND BACK! Be silent! Be still!... That's it... and look upon this moment. Savor it! Rejoice with great gladness! Great gladness! Remember it always, for you are joined by it. You are One, under the stars. Remember it well, then... this night, this great victory. So that in the years ahead, you can say, 'I was there that night, with Arthur, the King!' For it is the doom of men that they forget.

And with that I thank you all for being a part of this latest tribal edit. I was there, with you, and it is not our doom to forget. A new PDF is forthcoming, such is our fate...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

• 2 years later...