RQG Corrections Thread

MOB

p.257 Befuddle spell (second paragraph)
Each melee round, the victim can attempt to shake off their Befuddlement. That is all the victim can do in that melee round. The victim must roll D100 greater than their INT×5 (due to the confusion of thought processes, where smarter targets are led into dizzying mental labyrinths while dull-witted ones can simply act),

INT×5 rule is same as RQ3. But Characteristics is same as RQ2, So animals don't have INT.
What happens if I cast Befuddle spell on an animal? Will it be automatically shaken off?
Or,  Is the attempt by the animal not allowed?

• Thanks 1

Actually, this is not a mistake point. You can ignore it if you intentionally do so. But it is a very important matter for me.

p.272 Divine Intervention: Procedure (second paragraph)
In appealing for divine intervention, the adventurer must first permanently sacrifice 1 Rune point and then the player must state in a precise way what their adventurer wishes the divine intervention to achieve.

Paying the cost first will mean you need a cost even if you fail. On old (RQ2/RQ3) rule, no cost was required for the failed appealing for Divine Intervention.  It seems to be too expensive to permanently consume 1 Rune point for failing attempts.

Can you change it to temporary consumption?

On 6/3/2018 at 7:39 PM, oltamy said:

A charioteer gets a whip, but there are no stats for one. 

Yelmalio geas says no use of flails - easy, as there are no stats for flails. 

The charioteer whip isn't a combat weapon. If it were statted as a weapon, the charioteer would potentially kill their animals through normal use. 

Future expansions will have stats for flails (and likely for combat-usable whips). 

I am pretty sure this is an error. Very many characters are shown as left handed, either because of the original art or because the original art has been flipped in the design process. 4 of the Pre-generated characters are shown holding their primary weapon in their left hand, only one with it in her right hand and two without handedness shown. In the developed world left handedness is no more than 30% of the population, and in the developing and historic world it is much less frequent. almost unheard of in military contexts. I think if handedness were evenly distributed in Glorantha we would have heard about it. I would expected left-handed characters to have that noted either in the stats or in nicknames. This isn't a solitary incidence. p137 shows a whole army of left-handed hoplites. p193 strike ranks are illustrated left handed as are the ranged weapons on p211. the guard  on p221, etc.

52 minutes ago, Chris Gidlow said:

I am pretty sure this is an error. Very many characters are shown as left handed, either because of the original art or because the original art has been flipped in the design process. 4 of the Pre-generated characters are shown holding their primary weapon in their left hand, only one with it in her right hand and two without handedness shown. In the developed world left handedness is no more than 30% of the population, and in the developing and historic world it is much less frequent. almost unheard of in military contexts. I think if handedness were evenly distributed in Glorantha we would have heard about it. I would expected left-handed characters to have that noted either in the stats or in nicknames. This isn't a solitary incidence. p137 shows a whole army of left-handed hoplites. p193 strike ranks are illustrated left handed as are the ranged weapons on p211. the guard  on p221, etc.

Character generation says that you can choose or roll handedness. It says that dragonewts are left handed, but doesn't mention that chaos is left handed, as was the case. We always used to joke that it was easy to detect an ogre as it would be left-handed.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

p47 The Runes & Cults Table doesn't include Foundchild, although Foundchild is included in the 2 Cult Lists/Writeups later on

p379 - The Black Fang cult has a section on Rune Priests that says "Spirit cults don’t have proper Rune Priests, so Priests of Black Fang are shamans, instead. Like most shamanpriests, they can sacrifice POW for the cult’s Rune points.", but the previous section on Spirit Cults has Shamans, with "Rather than traditional Rune Priests, in these cults the shamans tie themselves to the spirit, gain what few Rune spells are available, as well as the ability to teach the spirit’s magic to their followers.", so just replace "Rune Priests" with "Shamans" in the Black Fang writeup and amend the paragraph.

p416 "However, any ability listed on the adventurer sheet at or above 75% with an experience check box cannot be trained—it must be improved through experience." and p417 "As with training, an ability listed on the adventurer sheet at or above 75% with an experience check box cannot be researched—it must be improved through experience.", but p417 under the Training Cost Table has "* If ability can be trained above 75%.". These are inconsistent statements.

p417 "No characteristic may be increased for any reason (except through magic) beyond the maximum amount rollable on the characteristic dice (in most cases, 18 for humans) plus the number of dice rolled (2D6+6 counts as 3 dice for SIZ and INT, and 3 dice for the rest). Thus, humans may not normally have any characteristic higher than 21.", but p418 has "To determine if POW increases, add the adventurer’s maximum rollable POW not including any Rune characteristic modifier (i.e., 18 for humans) plus the minimum rolled POW (3 for humans)." and "Example: Harmast wishes to increase his DEX through training and research. His species maximum for DEX is 18, and the minimum is 3. Together, these equal 21. ", the last 2 are not consistent with the first. The first is the RQ2 way, the last two are the RQ3 way.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

It says that dragonewts are left handed, but doesn't mention that chaos is left handed, as was the case. We always used to joke that it was easy to detect an ogre as it would be left-handed.

I did not remember that one. Do you remember the source per chance (not in RQ2 Core book or Cults of Terror as far as I (and Ctrl F) know...) please?

4 minutes ago, 7Tigers said:

I did not remember that one. Do you remember the source per chance (not in RQ2 Core book or Cults of Terror as far as I (and Ctrl F) know...) please?

No, can't remember the source, but we always played it that way as it was mentioned somewhere.

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

No, can't remember the source, but we always played it that way as it was mentioned somewhere.

I don't remember it either.  Dragonewts - definitely left-handed.  Humans - supposed to be predominantly right-handed.  Chaos - whatever suits its purpose.

58 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

I don't remember it either.  Dragonewts - definitely left-handed.  Humans - supposed to be predominantly right-handed.  Chaos - whatever suits its purpose.

From HISTORY OF THE HEORTLING PEOPLES, pg. 42:

c 615. OBDURAN BORN
When Obduran was bom the midwife said, "He is left
handed, we must kill him." Of course the mother protested,
but she had no say in this. But the Grandmother intervened,
and took the child and said, ''This is one in a million. I will
be the mother of a god." She raised him in the forests.

Page 203, right-hand column:

If the adventurer fumbles the withdrawal, the weapon breaks, no matter what it’s hit points were at the time.

If the adventurer fumbles the withdrawal, the weapon breaks, no matter what its hit points were at the time.

• Like 1

Page 205, Fumble chart. 
Both results, 99 and 00, are excluding only themselves, which makes it legal to roll them both and so end up rolling 4 fumbles. Is that planned? Or should the 3 results be the worst case scenario?

Also, please clarify if Attack results 87--92 allows parry or dodge. 
Also please clarify how Fumble charts "wide open" results are dealing with Attack & parry results chart. (ie Critical vs Fumble states Automatic hits (? How does this differ from others that don't say so?), does maximum damage. And the defender is losing armors protection and then rolling the fumble, that states attacker gets automatical critical hit or hit with full possible damage. Does that mean the fumbler gets 2 hits? Or possibly 4 similar results and 5 hits??). 

Edited by Risto Welling

Page 146, Results of Damage

"When an adventurer has taken enough damage to reduce their total hit points to 0 or less, then the adventurer dies at the end of the current melee round unless healed or otherwise brought to positive hit points." RuneQuest p. 146

This rule either needs to be revised to be instant death or changed to the following melee round. With actions being declared at the start of the round, it is pointless to allow the adventurer to live until the end of the same round when another adventurer cannot do anything to help, and just prolongs their inevitable fate. I would argue dying the following round makes for a more interesting game as fellow adventurers try and heal their fallen companion.

• Like 1

129/420

Page 202, Skills over 100% Combat. 
Please clarify what happens in following situation: 
True Iron Mostal, with Combat skill 350 % hits Super Hero with Shield Parry 250%. 
By the rules the latter would have 00% change could not success parrying. But the last punctual states, that the Super Hero has 50% change to special parry and 13% change to critical parry.

".While the actual chance of hitting remains no
better than 95% (due to rolls of 96–00 failing),
the chance of a special or critical success continues
to increase or decrease, based on the final
modified chance of success. As with other skills or
abilities, the final modified value is always the one
used to determine the chance of special or critical
successes, as well as fumbles. Thus, a Wind Lord
with a 150% sword skill has a 30% of a special
success, and an 8% chance of a critical hit."

Page 203, Splitting Attacks. 
Please clarify, what are the "magical benefits or augments that bring the skill over 100%"
Or does that mean "any modifier"? ie. the Fumble result that gives the attacker +25% or a modifier from beneficial attacking position etc. 
Please clarify how this works with skills over 100%. (is the reduction done before or after splitting) And if the "natural" refers to the natural skill or the modified (the one where the reduction is done). 

Page 206, Crushing
Please clarify how Crushing works with negative damage modifier from STR+SIZ. 
(does it really make your attack worse to hit harder..)
And I suggest a change that if damage modifier from STR+SIZ = Zero or less, then it's ignored and instead add 4. 

Page 207 => jump to 210. 
Feels strange that a sentence is continued after 2 full pages. 
If Impaling won't fit wholly to page 207, should it be moved to 210? 

(And is H or CT needed? Would it be simpler to mention one or more of C, I or S?) 
(To continue, H is including Claws (only slash), but still Claws as Unarmed Attacks chart is Critical Type CT. Conclusion, H and CT are confusing even writer). 

Edited by Risto Welling

On 6/8/2018 at 2:44 AM, PhilHibbs said:

I make it 5 years. 2.5 per season, 5 seasons, 5*5*2.5=62.5 which with a decent knowledge bonus and vocational choice gets you 90. It's still a bit excessive though.

You need two Lore skills at 90%. Starting characters have about 60% and 35% in another. They need another +90 skill points or so, plus they need to donate 10% of their time to the cult.  So figure about 8 years of nothing but training and cult duties, but assuming it is 5 years what player character is willing to do that while the rest of the party adventures?

On 6/8/2018 at 7:20 AM, Risto Welling said:

Some credist are First name - Last name, and others, Last Name -First name. 
Not a big deal, but could be same for all. Would make it easier for people to recognize them later on.  

I can't find a single instance where this is the case. Could you point me at a specific example?  

Thanks for all the feedback, folks! 

We can only make a limited number of fixes to the print files, as page substitutions are both costly and run the risk of adding additional errors. 

I'm keeping track of this thread for future reference, and the .pdf will be updated regularly and for future printings. 

Regrettably, some portion of the comments here can't be addressed, as they're more along the lines of suggestions than actionable errors. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1