Jump to content
MOB

RQG: Reviews Thread

Recommended Posts

The reviews are coming in over at DTRPG. As the last poster says, "LOL some people"

1292634826_ScreenShot2018-06-05at8_45_50pm.png.83fc6bce11dfeb1955e0f8058636ff7f.png

The pig in question:

693895695_ScreenShot2018-06-05at11_45_24pm.png.d5f5c75c9ccab30931d4e5628e42039e.png

Edited by MOB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moderator Hat: This thread is for reviews of RQG. Please start a new thread to further discuss the merits of RQ Fantasy Earth.

Edited by MOB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MOB said:

The reviews are coming in over at DTRPG. As the last poster says, "LOL some people"

1292634826_ScreenShot2018-06-05at8_45_50pm.png.83fc6bce11dfeb1955e0f8058636ff7f.png

The pig in question:

693895695_ScreenShot2018-06-05at11_45_24pm.png.d5f5c75c9ccab30931d4e5628e42039e.png

There isn't a big enough palm for my face after reading that... maybe tell him that the pig is only sleeping (as I like to tell kids and anyone listening when I see roadkill).

Edited by Grievous
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice comprehensive review, thanks!

It seems that no review mentionned that RQ:G is the perfect introduction to the Glorantha Sourcebook.
Outside the same layout and fonts, we understand now GSb choices and why some "basic" information was considered missing for complete newbies.
Hats off Jeff!

Edited by 7Tigers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soltakss said:

Here is my review.  Very short summary: I liked it and may well use most of it as my default RuneQuest, but with Revolution skills.

The 'gaining shamanic abilities' makes more sense if you read Sandy Peterson's Shaman doc from ages back, from which this system was entirely lifted.  (I know, because I'd stolen it earlier to use in my game).  https://web.archive.org/web/20091018044347/http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk:80/docs/ (you may have to try a few times, it's DEEP in the wayback archives, I timed out twice before it came up).  In that version not all taboos are equal, they only provide SOME reset based on how substantive they are.  So if your next point-buy is 2 characteristic points, you could drop it to 1 with a rather trivial taboo (don't eat bison meat - because who actually plays out what KIND of meat they're eating?).  But if your next point-buy was 4, that trivial taboo would only drop it to 3.  You'd need something major like 'never use a missile weapon' or somesuch meaningful to drop it from 4 to 1.  Make sense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Juegos y Dados (Spanish) says, "Appearing almost 40 years ago for the first time, RuneQuest returns with the vitality of always".

And Bell of Lost Souls says, "if you’re looking for a fantasy game that gives you a taste of something different, then check out RuneQuest. Or if you’re looking for more of Glorantha, I’m morally obligated to mention King of Dragon Pass–a hero’s journey-esque exploration of the world that cast you as the ruler of a people in the valley of Dargon’s Pass–every time I mention RuneQuest. Happy Adventuring!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"A game steeped in both real-world and fictional history, where wild myths meld with a realistic approach to rules… Ultimately, RuneQuest succeeds in carving out a powerful niche in the crowded world of fantasy roleplaying, building something that is truly unique."—Tabletop Gaming Magazine

https://www.tabletopgaming.co.uk/board-games/reviews/runequest-roleplaying-in-glorantha-rpg-review

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MOB said:

"A game steeped in both real-world and fictional history, where wild myths meld with a realistic approach to rules… Ultimately, RuneQuest succeeds in carving out a powerful niche in the crowded world of fantasy roleplaying, building something that is truly unique."—Tabletop Gaming Magazine

https://www.tabletopgaming.co.uk/board-games/reviews/runequest-roleplaying-in-glorantha-rpg-review

That's got to be one of the best leading-paragraphs I've read in a long time:

In a market stuffed to the gills with fantasy RPGs, RuneQuest offers something a little different from the heroic norm – something a little deadlier, rooted in a time of bronze and barbarians, where historic realism mixes with raw, primitive magic that hangs in the air like early morning mist.

...and a great closing too:

 The world of Glorantha won’t be for everybody, but those who give it a chance may find its blend of earthy realism and heady mysticism utterly intoxicating. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RPGNet says:

"Greg Stafford's supreme creation brought fully up to date with the presentation it deserves and tremendous added depth. A fitting memorial.

STYLE - 5/5: Chaosium is producing some of the best-looking books in gaming right now, and RuneQuest Glorantha is not only probably the best of the best, but also both a superb representation of its setting and a fitting tribute to it.

SUBSTANCE - 5/5: Can it go higher than 5?"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2018 at 5:04 PM, styopa said:

That's got to be one of the best leading-paragraphs I've read in a long time:

In a market stuffed to the gills with fantasy RPGs, RuneQuest offers something a little different from the heroic norm – something a little deadlier, rooted in a time of bronze and barbarians, where historic realism mixes with raw, primitive magic that hangs in the air like early morning mist.

...and a great closing too:

 The world of Glorantha won’t be for everybody, but those who give it a chance may find its blend of earthy realism and heady mysticism utterly intoxicating. 

The reviewer stopped by at the Alexandra Palace show in London last month and played in the RQG demo session I ran.
Seemed like a nice guy and it was a really fun game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
"The RuneQuest flavour that made every version of the game from its inception so refreshingly different is fully on view. The Introduction warns: "every creature is an individual. Even a trollkin or a rubble runner might get a lucky critical hit against a far more skilled and better equipped foe." No mookish cannon fodder for murder hobos here, but that's always been the RuneQuest way, and more power to it. Your inner 12-year-old is not going to get an outing at Chaosium's expense." —from the glowing review of the RQG Bestiary on RPG.Net

STYLE: 5. The revitalized Chaosium has been putting out some dazzling books, and this one is no exception - especially with the vivid and loving renditions of the various beasties and beings.

SUBSTANCE: 5. Not just a compendium of creatures, but an indispensable companion, steeped in Gloranthan lore and thoroughly inspirational.
 
 
Review of Glorantha Bestiary - RPGnet RPG Game Index

 

https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/17/17808.phtml

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A great new review of the new RQ!

White Box and Beyond says of the new RQG: "…this is a very impressive book. The art, binding and writing is all first rate. I would say it is the most attractive book I own. Looks are great, but the real value goes deeper than appearances. The content of RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha is up to the standards set by its appearance."

http://whiteboxandbeyond.blogspot.com/2018/10/jeff-richards-runequest.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×