RQG Character Creation Spreadsheet (multi-lingual) now includes Weapons & Equipment! And 日本語!

PhilHibbs

v1.9.4 Beta 1: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1W7_VCCvzULrC2if_U6udGIt6hHK6w4RiZyRAjMN0QOU/edit?usp=sharing

• Added all the Spirit and Rune spells to the translation sheet
  • French translations added for all spells (thanks @sireRage)
  • Formatted CharSheet for printing and added HP and MP tracks
  • Adjusted widths and positioning of spell columns, added points columns for spirit and rune
  • Removed Enc 1 for Claw natural weapon

• 4 months later...

Firstly, I've promoted the latest version from beta to release, the only change is I had the numbers and % the wrong way around for the second column of passions.

Secondly, this is an opportunity for a shameless bump for the benefit of folks that are starting new games with the release of the slipcase, and want an online tool to help create and track their characters.

• Like 1

v1.9.5: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12RHsYJeJw8NtSubDE--MENwd6rhfZVe-9WgFeG52cwM/edit?usp=sharing

• Corrections to French translation based on the quickstart (thanks again @sireRage)
  • Beginning of German translation based on the quickstart (thanks @Joerg and @Oracle)
    Only the core game terms are translated to German so far, the instruction text, family background, cultures, occupations, weapons, and spell names are not done yet
Edited by PhilHibbs

21 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

Is there any chance these files can be in a place other than googledocs??

Thx

They aren't files as such, they are Google Sheets objects. They may be partially functional if converted to ODS spreadsheets, but the macros would almost certainly not work as I think the macro language is JavaScript with Google's spreadsheet library. Some of the formulae might be a little bit broken as well. I will have a go and see how functional it is, and I might upload a version to the forum at the week-end.

I don't think there is an alternative free online spreadsheet tool out there that can compete with Google's.

4 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

They aren't files as such, they are Google Sheets objects. They may be partially functional if converted to ODS spreadsheets, but the macros would almost certainly not work as I think the macro language is JavaScript with Google's spreadsheet library. Some of the formulae might be a little bit broken as well. I will have a go and see how functional it is, and I might upload a version to the forum at the week-end.

I don't think there is an alternative free online spreadsheet tool out there that can compete with Google's.

I confirm that macros don't work when saved as .ods

Bummer :(

I don't want Googledocs for a few reasons... not least of all because I'm currently in China, and google requires VPN to work... and that's very iffy.

Also, it means needing an account (I don't like having too many accounts, and Google isn't my friend), and requires constant internet access (ie, not as easily transportable as I'd like). Not having a version I can carry around on my and update any time I feel like it is annoying.

Done.

Known issues

• None of the macros work, so fill in your dice rolls or characteristics, skill details, and culture/occupation/cult/personal choices manually.
  • Check boxes do not work, so put in a 1 next to the five enhancement spells (cells AA12-AA16) in order to get the small numbers to show.
  • Check boxes for skills and runes are just a cell border so are not very easy to see.
Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Done.

Known issues

• None of the macros work, so fill in your dice rolls or characteristics, skill details, and culture/occupation/cult/personal choices manually.
  • Check boxes do not work, so put in a 1 next to the five enhancement spells (cells AA12-AA16) in order to get the small numbers to show.
  • Check boxes for skills and runes are just a cell border so are not very easy to see.

Many many many thanks!!!!

• 7 months later...

Phil, thanks so much for having done such a tremendous amount of work. The crunchier the system, the more work to automate character gen and the more benefit it gives to all the users. 

I might do my own mod to auto-generate the grandparent and parent history. Although I like the history, I really don't like having to manually go through a printed algorithm. Was there something in particular that made you not add this option?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Singemonkey said:

Phil, thanks so much for having done such a tremendous amount of work. The crunchier the system, the more work to automate character gen and the more benefit it gives to all the users. 

I might do my own mod to auto-generate the grandparent and parent history. Although I like the history, I really don't like having to manually go through a printed algorithm. Was there something in particular that made you not add this option?

I couldn't think of a good way of representing the event chains.

I suppose that part could be manual, with a click button to roll on each table, the modifiers shouldn't be too hard to encode. I was a little wary of how much text I should copy-paste into the spreadsheet, as all that text is Chaosium copyright.

Edited by PhilHibbs

On 6/2/2018 at 2:42 AM, PhilHibbs said:
  • The following occupation skill values are incorrect and should be changed from and to: Chariot Driver - Whip 0%⮕+25%; Entertainer - Lore (any) 0%⮕+10%, Herder - Cultural Ranged Weapon +10%⮕+30%.

I just added this "known bug" to the head post. Thanks to @sireRage for finding it.

There is a BIG update coming soon! Really excited about tis one - it's not really a big change to my sheet as such, just a couple of new features that tie in to an announcement from elsewhere that I guess should be coming soon. I'm waiting for that to drop before releasing an accompanying change to the sheet. I might do a branch release to fix the issues mentioned above.

*Edit* v1.9.5a: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1heO8XgQvGYPe_O8HrUns5qcMV7bN4oCI5ZsMyCwas0M/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 11:44 PM, PhilHibbs said:

just a couple of new features that tie in to an announcement from elsewhere that I guess should be coming soon.

Really? Did I miss an announcement?

That being said, good work Phil, well done on the sheet.

Quick question, the Alternative Rules snapshot found here https://runequest-glorantha.fandom.com/wiki/Google_Sheets_Character_Creation_Workbook_by_Phil_Hibbs shows an alternate rule with "Use profession skill bonus values from the French edition"

What is different in the French edition? 

12 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

Quick question, the Alternative Rules snapshot found here https://runequest-glorantha.fandom.com/wiki/Google_Sheets_Character_Creation_Workbook_by_Phil_Hibbs shows an alternate rule with "Use profession skill bonus values from the French edition"

What is different in the French edition? 

It's probably too soon to answer precisely because french rules are still unpublished and under corrections, but to say it shortly, some more skills are added to the occupational skills in the character creation chapter and a few ones are slightly modified

Edited by sireRage
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sireRage said:

It's probably too soon to answer precisely because french rules are still unpublished and under corrections, but to say it shortly, some more skills are added to the occupational skills in the character creation chapter and a few ones are slightly modified

I am surprised and intrigued that the French edition will have tweaks. I wonder what else will differ...

On 7/4/2020 at 11:09 AM, PhilHibbs said:

Aha, someone found the Easter egg. That's the upcoming announcement, French edition support. Rumbled!

Oh wow I didn't expect the French edition to do any changes to the rules... I was already surprised to see an additional adventure in the preview PDF, when I thought these (along with any "original content") would go in separate books.

My first reaction was to go check the occupation skill bonuses for the Hunter in the French version and YES, PEOPLE, WE DID IT (let's take credit for this shall we? :) ). The Hunter went from 140 points in the English version to 200 points in the French version. I haven't checked what other changes have been made, and frankly I'm not sure what I can share at this point anyway.

I'm wondering @PhilHibbs what's your relationship with the French edition? Are you just a multilingual guy who backed the crowdfunding campaign, or are you involved in it in any way?

• Like 2

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

19 hours ago, lordabdul said:

I'm wondering @PhilHibbs what's your relationship with the French edition? Are you just a multilingual guy who backed the crowdfunding campaign, or are you involved in it in any way?

No, I didn't back it and I'm not involved. My French isn't really good enough to enjoy having a copy (despite having just spent 3.5 months stranded in France). I don't remember the full story but someone, I think it was @sireRage but I'm not entirely sure, contacted me a while back, before the Deadcrows deal, and asked if I would consider adding French language support to this tool and so I did. Actually I think Spanish might have been the first, yes that's right, and I asked around for other languages and Sire stepped up. Since then he has been providing me with the official translations to fill in the "guesswork" that he and I (and Google) did earlier.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 2

Studio Deadcrows are just about to start shipping the French edition of the RuneQuest: Adventures dans Glorantha books, so here is my supporting update. I can't wait any longer, the secret was out a few days ago anyway!

v1.9.6 Beta 3: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IvICdOCOdB0p5MP3Y7w6CLKdFD7WyM9ByNuOOU3Ta8o/edit?usp=sharing

• Corrections to French translation based on the Studio Deadcrows edition of the rules (thanks again @sireRage).
  • Sorting of skills alphabetically (optional separate operation to translation).
  • Implementation of alternative occupation skill percentages from the Studio Deadcrows edition.
  • Implementation of alternative General Hit Points calculation from RQ3.

I'm keeping it at "beta" level for now, please post here or PM me, either if you've found any issues, or if you've given it a good thrashing and can't find anything wrong!

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Studio Deadcrows are just about to start shipping the French edition of the RuneQuest: Adventures dans Glorantha books, so here is my supporting update. I can't wait any longer, the secret was out a few days ago anyway!

v1.9.6 Beta 3: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IvICdOCOdB0p5MP3Y7w6CLKdFD7WyM9ByNuOOU3Ta8o/edit?usp=sharing

• Corrections to French translation based on the Studio Deadcrows edition of the rules (thanks again @sireRage).
  • Sorting of skills alphabetically (optional separate operation to translation).
  • Implementation of alternative occupation skill percentages from the Studio Deadcrows edition.
  • Implementation of alternative General Hit Points calculation from RQ3.

I'm keeping it at "beta" level for now, please post here or PM me, either if you've found any issues, or if you've given it a good thrashing and can't find anything wrong!

That's great Phil, looks good. I really enjoy the various options you provide between.

Regarding the Occupational skills of the French edition, I have no clue how it came to be but going through it it seems to make a lot of sense. I am sure this change was not made without Chaosium's approval and I suspect that if they agreed to it, they may implement it themselves in a future printing of the rules.

13 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

That's great Phil, looks good. I really enjoy the various options you provide between.

Regarding the Occupational skills of the French edition, I have no clue how it came to be but going through it it seems to make a lot of sense. I am sure this change was not made without Chaosium's approval and I suspect that if they agreed to it, they may implement it themselves in a future printing of the rules.

Thanks a lot, always good to hear. And yes, I heard that the changes were discussed and approved. There is one that I am not entirely sure about and that is the change on the Cult Skills, Ernalda gets Sing +15% rather than +10%, that's such an isolated and small change that it could be a typo.

If you want to see the full list of changes, un-hide the "Occupation French" and "Occupation English" tabs, and the "Cult French" and "Cult English".

Edited by PhilHibbs

• PhilHibbs changed the title to RQG Character Creation Spreadsheet now with French edition support!

Thanks a lot Phil for the huge work!

One small bug that I can report, when translated (in french) if you remove a rune to get a CHA increase instead, then it changes the rune back to english and the augment is not calculated. For example if you delete the "Terre" rune (in W3), then you will get the "Earth" rune in W8 and therefore a zero value in X8. A very minor bug though...

Thanks again,

Christian

Edited by ChristianD
  • Thanks 1