RQG Character Creation Spreadsheet (multi-lingual) now includes Weapons & Equipment! And 日本語!

PhilHibbs

2 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Ok. And yes I have changed everything else as you said.

I meant have you changed others words from my original file when importing them to your file ? Have you only changed pourpre to cramoisi or is there others french terms modified ?

6 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

v1.8.3 Beta 2: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11tvadYQJ7ooyVPeuZpHqFBstTJ21psSgcCsGahFZHSI/edit?usp=sharing

• Fixed some French translations, made more space for "Cadence"

fine thx

But you didn't took my last french version

11 minutes ago, sireRage said:

I meant have you changed others words from my original file when importing them to your file ? Have you only changed pourpre to cramoisi or is there others french terms modified ?

fine thx

But you didn't took my last french version

I missed out "Cadence", somehow. I thought I had copied it, but other than that I think I used your latest.

The only differences now are:

Parler natale Parler langue natale
Conn. Connaissance
Actu Actuel
Une année calme Année calme
Tué au combat Mort au combat

These are mostly for space.

I want to change "Marchand" as it's a duplicate phrase, it's the translation for both "merchant" and "tradetalk". What would you suggest? I put "Marchandais" for Tradetalk, as that seems like a word for a language. Can you improve on that?

Edited by PhilHibbs

19 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

The only differences now are:

Parler natale Parler langue natale
Conn. Connaissance
Actu Actuel
Une année calme Année calme
Tué au combat Mort au combat

These are mostly for space.

I want to change "Marchand" as it's a duplicate phrase, it's the translation for both "merchant" and "tradetalk". What would you suggest? I put "Marchandais" for Tradetalk, as that seems like a word for a language. Can you improve on that?

I sugest

• "Langue natale" instead of "Parler natale"
  • Ok for "Conn."
  • I do not see space problem with this one, and on charsheet it's better to get the full word. Align right Y+Z26 from charsheet and everything's fine with "Actuel". By the way, "Current" on Translation/Line 27 isn't used anymore.
  • ok
  • If you want. "Mort au combat" is more common in french but your version is understandable.
  • I made a mistake in my translation : translation/line136 : Homeland lore must be translated to "Conn. région" (I understood homeland as the native land so it was weird to see more than one occurence on charsheet)
  • As a french user, I see no problem to have a human character marchand in occupation who speaks la langue marchand. As far as I understand, Tradetalk appears in "Speak (Tradetalk)" and Read/Write (Tradetalk), so there is no ambiguity on the usage of Treadetalk/Marchand in theses situations. And Merchant/Marchand is clearly identified as an Occupation. I can't see any reason to make two differents words. If for some reason you really need two differents words, Marchandais is really too strange. I suggest "Marchand" as "Occupation" and "Négoce" for Tradetalk but, I say it again, better is simpler and two Marchand are fine in french.

Updates  are done on my usual translation file (except for Marchand and Mort au combat)

Thanks

14 hours ago, sireRage said:

• As a french user, I see no problem to have a human character marchand in occupation who speaks la langue marchand. As far as I understand, Tradetalk appears in "Speak (Tradetalk)" and Read/Write (Tradetalk), so there is no ambiguity on the usage of Treadetalk/Marchand in theses situations. And Merchant/Marchand is clearly identified as an Occupation. I can't see any reason to make two differents words. If for some reason you really need two differents words, Marchandais is really too strange. I suggest "Marchand" as "Occupation" and "Négoce" for Tradetalk but, I say it again, better is simpler and two Marchand are fine in french.

The reason is so that a French character sheet can be translated back to English. You can't translate Marchand back to two different things. I always knew that there would be problems like this, languages do not have a 1:1 map. In a couple of places I put a space at the end to make an artificial distinction, but I can't do that with an occupation and a language for various reasons.

Nice job, thanks

I still prefer Actuel to Actu on charsheet, especially since the full version of current is no longer used anywhere in the sheet. So I propose to remove the "Current" word from the translations and only work with Curr./Actuel.

By the way, is it possible, to simplify the translation process ? I though it was maybe possible to migrate the translate button to Chargen/somewhere under A13 and make the macro associated copy/paste the right language col using the choice made in chargen/A13 ?

For example, the user choose "Français" on Chargen/A13 and click on translate (wich is placed near there, on the same sheet), and the translate macro makes a copy of the french column from translation and launch the translation process as usual.

By this way, non english users can use the sheet without having to dive into others tab and make copy/paste not so obvious to everyone.

Nice job, thanks

I still prefer Actuel to Actu on charsheet, especially since the full version of current is no longer used anywhere in the sheet. So I propose to remove the "Current" word from the translations and only work with Curr./Actuel.

Oh, and you didn't took into account my other points : "Langue natale" instead of "Parler natale", Homeland lore must be translated to "Conn. région" instead of "Conn. pays natal"

my translation file, on google drive is roughly up to date

Charsheet/Ab57 isn't translated (spirit lore = "Conn. des esprits" or "Conn. (Esprits)", as you prefer)

By the way, is it possible, to simplify the translation process ? I though it was maybe possible to migrate the translate button to Chargen/somewhere under A13 and make the macro associated to copy/paste the right language col using the choice made in chargen/A13 ?

For example, the user choose "Français" on Chargen/A13 and click on translate (wich is placed near there, on the same sheet), and the translate macro makes a copy of the french column from translation and launch the translation process as usual.

By this way, non english users can use the sheet without having to dive into others

Edited by sireRage

1 hour ago, sireRage said:

By the way, is it possible, to simplify the translation process ? I though it was maybe possible to migrate the translate button to Chargen/somewhere under A13 and make the macro associated copy/paste the right language col using the choice made in chargen/A13 ?

I was thinking that myself. I will look into it.

I've translated the wiki page.

here's the link to the french version

https://runequest-glorantha.wikia.com/wiki/Création_de_personnage_avec_Google_Sheet_par_Phil_Hibbs

I let you juge the possibility to change the wiki adress during the translate process, or adding this link into your first post, with the sheet link.

Good luck

Edited by sireRage
  • Thanks 1

v1.8 Alpha 2: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fAW74SjicDK_eOI3NcSj5xItKiAIvA0cUXjWsiTpipQ/edit?usp=sharing

• Fixes to French translation

9 hours ago, sireRage said:

I've changed some wordings and added "spirit lore".

Don't bother anymore with Marchand : Merchant will be "Marchand." and "Tradetalk", "Marchand"

For Actuel/Actu. I changed them to "Actuelle" and "Actuel"

I thought I had already applied most of those changes of yours, I think I might have lost a version somewhere.

I'd rather not have visible disambiguations in things that the user interacts with, like the profession list or skill names, so I think I'll stick with the zero-width space, unless that's causing you a problem?

I removed the duplicate entry for "Instructions on the wiki".

12 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

I thought I had already applied most of those changes of yours, I think I might have lost a version somewhere.

Lost in translation 😊

There's just one omitted translation : Line 136 : "Homeland lore" have to be "Conn. région"

And everythings will then be fine for me.

v1.9: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gLCGxM8OKBOZDDst5tsoYN31jcSqd6mfSRnqqUqJOkY/edit?usp=sharing

• Fixed another French translation

@sireRage Can you check over the French instructions, please, I've attempted to update it to describe the new translation mechanism but I probably bungled something!

Edited by PhilHibbs

17 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

v1.9: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gLCGxM8OKBOZDDst5tsoYN31jcSqd6mfSRnqqUqJOkY/edit?usp=sharing

• Fixed another French translation

@sireRage Can you check over the French instructions, please, I've attempted to update it to describe the new translation mechanism but I probably bungled something!

You're right, I forgot some old translation system on the wiki page. I reworked the translation chapter on the french page to give hints how to add a new language or modify an existing one (for example to be closer to the official french rules if they appear someday).

I realize just now the count column usage. It's there you see if there is two times the same expression in the column, right ?

If so, ther is still "(a) normal year" which give same french term "Une année calme" and "devoured/Fed to the Crimson Bat" giving "dévoré par la chauve souris pourpre"

39 minutes ago, sireRage said:

I realize just now the count column usage. It's there you see if there is two times the same expression in the column, right ?

If so, ther is still "(a) normal year" which give same french term "Une année calme" and "devoured/Fed to the Crimson Bat" giving "dévoré par la chauve souris pourpre"

LOL! Yeah I'm not too worried about those. Getting subtleties like that lost in translation isn't as important as "Merchant" and "Tradetalk" getting merged.

• Thanks 1

v1.9.1 Beta 1: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10Fc20ZIOI8ZZk-Bg6twcJHWDPzIH4QY5Y9Oazlwoiao/edit?usp=sharing

• Fixed language skills for non-humans.
  • Added Minotaur as a playable race.
  • Shortened the names of language skills in French and Spanish.

I felt that "Langue natale ( Langue des Bêtes)" and " Hablar propio ( Habla de la Tormenta)" are too long (they don't fit) and repetitive, so I just prefixed the distinctive part with d' for both French and Spanish. So now you get "Langue Natale (d'Bêtes)" and "Hablar propio ( d'Tormenta)". Speak now becomes Parler Langue and Hablar Lengua to make them more consistent.

2 hours ago, sireRage said:

Is there enough room for

L. des Bêtes instead of d'Betes ?

And

L. des Ténèbres instead of d'Tenebres ?

For "parler langue", I think it's wasting space, but maybe you have an idea behind this modification?

The logic is, I moved the word "Langue" from inside the parentheses to outside, so you get "Parler Langue (d'Bêtes)". This means that "Langue Natale (d'Bêtes)" will fit, whereas "Langue Natale (Langue des Bêtes)" did not fit. You just saw "Langue Natale (Langue de" for pretty much every language.

So now both prefixes (Langue Natale and Parler Langue) contain "Langue", and the part in parentheses doesn't need to.

If you'd like the language name to be longer, I could contract to "Lang Nat" and "Parl Lang" which would give a bit more space to expand the language name to "des Bêtes" etc.

Edited by PhilHibbs

Considering "Parler langue" a pleonasm and the fact that d' is in french only usable before a vowel,  I propose some changes for the languages names translation.

• keep "Parler" for the speak skill and take for:
  • Darktongue Des Ténèbres
    Earthtongue De la Terre
    Spiritspeech Des Esprits
    Boatspeech Marin
  • Stormspeech Des tempête
    Firepeech Du Feu
    Beastspeech Des Bêtes
  • Why did you went back to "Conn. Pays natal" for "Homeland lore" ?        Previous correction was "Conn. région" and it was perfect.  Please, place "Conn. région" as the traslation of "Homeland lore".
  • "Cowbell" is intented to describe a bell around cow's neck ? if yes, "Sonnaille" is OK.

Done.

v1.9.2: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1byEn5Jg0_IMHKwAjuxMbZqWjp_hIcZujufAapHq41-w/edit?usp=sharing

• Amended a few translations related to language names

Bear in mind that you can always amend the translations and keep your own master copy that you then use as a basis for creating new characters. The only complication then is if you want to pick up a new version that I create.

Forthcoming features:

• Alternate rules, such as RQ3 Category Modifiers.
Edited by PhilHibbs