Sci-Fi

soltakss

I know it isn't BRP, but the OGL looks easier to use and Mongoose already has RQ and Traveller SRDs, making it easier to base Sci-Fi D100 rules on RQM.

The latest draft of a RuneQuest Sci-Fi SRD is at http://www.soltakss.com/rq_scifi.doc. Feedback and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, let me know what I am missing, what I have done wrong and what I need to change.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A really excellent job you did there, almost a complete science fiction RPG

in its own right. :thumb:

I am currently working on a new setting, a barren desert world this time, and

your material has become a very useful reference for my BRP-Traveller-Cross-

over System for the new campaign - thank you very much ! :)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Thanks. It has taken about 2 months, off and on. It helped that I based it on the Traveller/RQ/S20 Future/D20 Traveller Lite/D20 Paranoia Lite SRDs that are all OGL and OGC.

There is a lot more I could do with it, but the basics are there.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

Two Months:eek: I wish I could work half that fast.

Most of it was copy, paste and alter, so it wasn't that difficult. The hardest part is to try and fit it all together. My wife's away at the moment so I haven't got much else to do with my time.

I caught the Geeks/ Fans thing in the intro and spewed coffee on my computer screen.

There, not only an unfinished set of Sci-Fi rules but also a handy screen-washing utility. Two for the price of one. :)

Thanks.

I haven't thought about approaching Chaosium for several reasons:

• Those rules are based on several SRDs/OGLs and hence are incompatible with the BRP licence
  • I haven't got enough time to dedicate to polishing a document enough for publication
  • The core ruls are not enough , for publication you really need a good setting and I don't have any ideas about a setting
  • In the past I have shied away from writing anything for official companies

I might tidy it up a bit as an OGL RQ supplement, but I am in two minds about that at the moment.

• 2 months later...

That's an awesome document. I've been slowly working on a similar document and you just saved me tons of time. Now I just need to digest what you've put together and add a section for mutants and I've got what I need. I'm looking to run a science fantasy/post apocalyptic type game and needed psionics and sci-fi weapons.

I just want to tell you again how absolutely awesome this document is. There's some great jokes in there too. You *really* should figure how to publish this, even if you make a throw away setting. I've never played Traveler, but love the concept. I read Fading Suns, but walked away feeling it was Dune or Traveler for Dummies. (It had some neat ideas) There's a game out there called Lightspeed (I think), which is a kitchen sink of SciFi and SciFan.

I can't believe anyone with the patience to put a document like this together can't come up with even a paltry campaign premise in his sleep.

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

I just want to tell you again how absolutely awesome this document is.

That never gets tired - thanks :)

There's some great jokes in there too.

Thanks - I have to be careful as some people don't like jokes slipped into rules systems, but you need some to lighten things a bit.

You *really* should figure how to publish this, even if you make a throw away setting.

The trouble is that not many people will just purchase a Sci-Fi Rules supplement. Also, if I published it then it would need to be for Mongoose RQ as I don't like the licence agreement for BRP and BRP is not OGL based so I would have trouble justifying the fact that it is based on the Traveller/D20 Modern OGL SRDs.

I can't believe anyone with the patience to put a document like this together can't come up with even a paltry campaign premise in his sleep.

I have seen loads of settings that are poor, or at best OK, and don't really want to come up with another one. The ideal thing would be a setting that could use parts of other settings or a really good standalone setting. I have some ideas but they are basic, at best.

The other thing is that the rules need a lot of tidying up to make them consistent and to take out a lot of the non-RQ stuff that is still there. All the equipment needs costing, Tech Levels need sorting out and so on. I haven't the time at the moment or the inclination.

I have been offered some artwork if I ever publish it, but that would increase the page count even further. It's at 210+ pages at the moment without artwork, proper layout, text boxes and scenario seeds, so it could well end up at 250 pages, which is a big book to publish myself.

How many people would want to buy something like this? Probably not that many, especially as Mongoose has a new version of Traveller.

I've got no experience of publishing books - I normally stick to my website and producing short articles for fanzines. So, it would be a big commitment in terms of time and money to publish. I can't think of any other reasons, but I'm sure that I will be able to given enough time :) ...

It really is an excellent document, and I use it quite often to expand and

improve my own BRP-Traveller crossover system. :thumb:

By the way: Soltakss, would it by possible to post an announcement here

in this thread whenever you have created a new version - I almost missed

the step from version 0.4 to version 0.5 ? - Thank you ! :)

(Charlie Chan)

It really is an excellent document, and I use it quite often to expand and

improve my own BRP-Traveller crossover system. :thumb:

Have you got anything in your BRP-Traveller system that could improve or add to the RQ-SciFi SRD?

By the way: Soltakss, would it by possible to post an announcement here

in this thread whenever you have created a new version - I almost missed

the step from version 0.4 to version 0.5 ? - Thank you ! :)

Sure, no problem, I hadn't realised that people were following the versions.

Have you got anything in your BRP-Traveller system that could improve or add to the RQ-SciFi SRD?

Unfortunately not. :(

In my system I use the character generation system of Mongoose Traveller

and then convert the characters into a BRP version tailored to my setting.

The only potentially interesting parts could be the skill level conversion ta-

ble and the attribute conversion table, both somewhat "streamlined" to fit

my setting:

The skill levels:

Skill level 0 = 40 %

Skill level 1 = 60 %

Skill level 2 = 70 %

Skill level 3 = 80 %

Skill level 4 = 90 %

The attributes:

Trav 02 = BRP 03

Trav 03 = BRP 04

Trav 04 = BRP 06

Trav 05 = BRP 08

Trav 06 = BRP 10

Trav 07 = BRP 11

Trav 08 = BRP 13

Trav 09 = BRP 15

Trav 10 = BRP 16

Trav 11 = BRP 17

Trav 12 = BRP 18

For the Traveller part of the character generation I also use a modification

of these pre-enlistment options found in another forum:

SFRPG • View topic - Missing a Traveller University

There are also a couple of house rules, for example a modification of the

research rules from the Ringworld RPG, but all this is in German.

I am sorry, but I am afraid I have nothing of value to offer. :(

(Charlie Chan)

Impressive work you have done. Only one complain, there is no submachine gun in the weapon list. Personally i think that the SMG is the best weapon in the traveller universe, its light,portable and have automatic fire, perfect for starship corridors and shady starports alleys.

Tor.com Space is wide and good friends are too few: Cherryh’s Merchanter novels

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Unfortunately not. :(

In my system I use the character generation system of Mongoose Traveller

and then convert the characters into a BRP version tailored to my setting.

The only potentially interesting parts could be the skill level conversion ta-

ble and the attribute conversion table, both somewhat "streamlined" to fit

my setting:

That's an interesting way of doing it.

The skill levels:

I'll use these in an Appendix, if that's OK with you.

For the Traveller part of the character generation I also use a modification

of these pre-enlistment options found in another forum:

SFRPG • View topic - Missing a Traveller University

That is very useful, thanks. I'll ask for permission to use it.

I am sorry, but I am afraid I have nothing of value to offer. :(

I don't know, that was useful in itself. Thanks.

Impressive work you have done. Only one complain, there is no submachine gun in the weapon list. Personally i think that the SMG is the best weapon in the traveller universe, its light,portable and have automatic fire, perfect for starship corridors and shady starports alleys.

No submachine gun? There are some automatic pistols and rifles, but you are right. I'll have a look at GORE, Future World and Ringworld to see if there are stats I can use.

For me, the Weapons Section is not the most important part of the RQ Sci-Fi SRD so I haven't spent a lot of time on it. That's why it is near the end of the document. I know that other people like a lot of weapons, but to me they are much of a muchness.

As to SMGs being the best weapon of the Traveller universe, that's probably true. However, the Traveller universe isn't the best for weapons. It could be possible to use weapons from many different settings, but they would be very similar.

In any case, any "slug thrower" is dangerous in a vacuum environment. If there is a chance of puncturing the hull then they shouldn't be used. I would prefer to use an energy wepon of some kind. Babylon 5's PPGs, Star Trek's Phasers, Star Wars' Blasters and so on are all examples of energy weapons that can be used in space and on planets. They have limited ammunition but are at least as good as a SMG.

However, I have no knowledge of weaponry, so I am talking mostly out of my backside :) ...

That's an interesting way of doing it.

I very much like the Mongoose Traveller character generation with its

careers and events, especially the additional careers from Spica Publi-

shing's supplement Career Book 1 (they fit my setting almost perfect-

ly), but I very much prefer BRP rules for the actual roleplaying. :)

I'll use these in an Appendix, if that's OK with you.

Yes, of course. :)

By the way, there are BRP stats for a SMG in Vile's conversion of the

weapons from Traveller's Striker rules here in the download section,

you would only have to copy them. ;)

(Charlie Chan)

I very much like the Mongoose Traveller character generation with its

careers and events, especially the additional careers from Spica Publi-

shing's supplement Career Book 1 (they fit my setting almost perfect-

ly), but I very much prefer BRP rules for the actual roleplaying. :)

I am working on doing a Traveller-Style Character Generation for RQ, but the trouble is that only a couple of the Professions have made it into an OGC document, so I am very limited in which professions I can cover.

By the way, there are BRP stats for a SMG in Vile's conversion of the

weapons from Traveller's Striker rules here in the download section,

you would only have to copy them. ;)

Ah, I had forgotten it was there - he said I could use his stuff as well, so that's perfect. Thanks again - and you said you couldn't help! :)

In any case, any "slug thrower" is dangerous in a vacuum environment. If there is a chance of puncturing the hull then they shouldn't be used.

Thats true but that can be fixed with special ammunition.

Kinetic energy weapons "slug throwers" are very good in an atmosphere. Lasers dont work well in dense atmosphere and underwater, if we are doing it the hard way "Sci Fi".

If we are sticking to the Traveller universe, its very old school in technology.

Apparently i am an gun munchkin.

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Guest Vile Traveller

I am working on doing a Traveller-Style Character Generation for RQ, but the trouble is that only a couple of the Professions have made it into an OGC document, so I am very limited in which professions I can cover.
Actually, the Mongoose Traveller SRD does name all the basic professions, so you can put them into your document. You are substantially re-writing the character generation process, after all. Remember, the SRD is not so much a system reference document as a list of Traveller terms that 3rd party publishers can use without getting into trouble.

Ah, I had forgotten it was there - he said I could use his stuff as well, so that's perfect.
Let me just remind you, then: BRP Central - Downloads - Striker! Sidearms

That's true but that can be fixed with special ammunition.
I actually prefer the use of slug throwers inside spacecraft, as the ammunition can be tailored specifically not to penetrate vital bits.

Apparently i am an gun munchkin.
Nothing wrong with that! :innocent: