Moorcock thanked in the new RQG!

smiorgan

I am one of those people who read all the credits... And I have found this in the new RQG book. Curious, isn't it? I don't read too much into it, but it made me think "Send the guy a copy of RQG! Maybe the sheer beauty of the book can convince him to license a full color edition of Stormbringer!" 

image.png.4303b6fa009e9b48bad848618ebc67ea.png

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Thot said:

Stormbringer 6 should be done. If necessary, create a world for it that captures the general mood of Moorcock's writings without plagiarizing him.

A World based on Magic, perhaps?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

26 minutes ago, Thot said:

Magic World's default setting does not strike me as particularly Moorcock'ish. You?

No, not especially, but the mechanics of Stormbringer/Magic World are pretty flexible. If Chaosium were to revive MW as a line, and they wanted a a more "Moorcockian" setting vs. the Southern Reaches; the idea of a multiverse might be more tightly bound into it and then add in some existential "doom" hanging over the world and you're in the ballpark.

Much as I appreciate all the hard and loving work that went into Magic World, it is the antithesis of the production qualities I see in the new RQG.

"This is preposterous! Must we welcome each scoundrel of time into our midst, to satiate himself on our good things, meanwhile perverting our customs?"
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

Dear God no. Re-attaching the MW rule set as it now exists to the Elric IP would throw under the bus Ben's original intent for the game to showcase Lynn Willis & co's fantastic rule set unencumbered by the constraints of that IP and the game was genuinely improved by its absence IMO (and I was a fan of Elric! back in the day).

Frankly, the Elric saga as it now exists needs a very different rule set anyway. 

54 minutes ago, Rhialto the Marvellous said:

Much as I appreciate all the hard and loving work that went into Magic World, it is the antithesis of the production qualities I see in the new RQG.

Production values wise it certainly was - personally I'd love to see a new edition of Magic World which got the same devotion to its production quality that RQG has received: I am fully aware that's not going to happen however.

As to whether RQG is a superior rule set: since I'm not a Gloranthanphile, it fails at the first hurdle for me and nothing I have picked up about the rules in themselves suggests I'll find much to my taste either. I shall be intrigued to see  a print copy when it finally hits UK FLGS however.

The thanks is a nice nod to the early days of RPG publishing however.

Nick

• Like 6

2 hours ago, NickMiddleton said:

...personally I'd love to see a new edition of Magic World which got the same devotion to its production quality that RQG has received: I am fully aware that's not going to happen however.

Me too, and a shame that won't happen. 

"This is preposterous! Must we welcome each scoundrel of time into our midst, to satiate himself on our good things, meanwhile perverting our customs?"
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

1 minute ago, Rhialto the Marvellous said:

Me too, and a shame that won't happen. 

Me three... the biggest shame is that despite what Chaosium have previous stated, they aren't interested in licensees of the mechanics... 

Marcus

Stormbringer! - Exploring the worlds of the Eternal Champion at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com

Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org

DCtRPG.info - Supporting Dark Conspiracy across the decades - http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.com

3 hours ago, soltakss said:

I would note that I stated on something like this - right here on this forum - but even getting people to agree on a skill list was nigh impossible :P

• Like 1

Stormbringer! - Exploring the worlds of the Eternal Champion at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com

DCtRPG.info - Supporting Dark Conspiracy across the decades - http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.com

On 6/2/2018 at 10:58 AM, smiorgan said:

I am one of those people who read all the credits... And I have found this in the new RQG book. Curious, isn't it? I don't read too much into it, but it made me think "Send the guy a copy of RQG! Maybe the sheer beauty of the book can convince him to license a full color edition of Stormbringer!" 

It's probably a thank you for letting them use Elric, especially when they did so for far longer than Moorcock had expected. 

I'd love to see then do a new version of Strombringer, preferably one with input from Moorcock. Apparently he wasn't all that happy with some of the liberties taken with the Young Kingdoms in the RPGs. 

• Like 2

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

9 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Apparently he wasn't all that happy with some of the liberties taken with the Young Kingdoms in the RPGs. 

The comments by Moorcock I have read mentioned two reasons of discontent: 1) Chaosium not paying royalties (or not paying what was due), 2) ugly artwork in some of the books. Never read anything about changes to the setting.

Recently Moorcock had commented positively about the French 'Mournblade' RPG - by Département de Sombres Projets, which has striking art. So he is not against licencing for rpgs  in general. Unfortunately the lady who was the main creative force behind Département died leaving the company in dire straits.

I am sure  New Chaosium can meet and exceed Moorcock's art standards- and hopefully be able to pay the royalties. ☺️

42 minutes ago, smiorgan said:

The comments by Moorcock I have read mentioned two reasons of discontent: 1) Chaosium not paying royalties (or not paying what was due), 2) ugly artwork in some of the books. Never read anything about changes to the setting.

I read something posted by MM where #1 was stressed (basically he expected SB to be a sort of one off-which makes sense for how games were back then), but he did make a passing comment about some of the setting stuff. To me it looked like the sort of thing that happens when an RPG ompany fleshes out a setting. 

42 minutes ago, smiorgan said:

Recently Moorcock had commented positively about the French 'Mournblade' RPG - by Département de Sombres Projets, which has striking art. So he is not against licencing for rpgs  in general. Unfortunately the lady who was the main creative force behind Département died leaving the company in dire straits.

I am sure  New Chaosium can meet and exceed Moorcock's art standards- and hopefully be able to pay the royalties. ☺️

Yeah I expect they could. If they will is another thing. They got a lot of stuff on thier plane right now, and a high quality, paid liscensed Strombringer would require a bigger committment than what SB has had in the past. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

On 6/4/2018 at 9:11 AM, Marcus Bone said:

Me three... the biggest shame is that despite what Chaosium have previous stated, they aren't interested in licensees of the mechanics... 

Marcus

Our position is unchanged. While Chaosium won’t be publishing anything further for Magic World ourselves, we will continue to sell the Magic World core rulebooks for the foreseeable future. We are happy to see Magic World material (supplements, sourcebooks and accessories) coming out as licensed/fan-produced product. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MOB said:

Our position is unchanged. While Chaosium won’t be publishing anything further for Magic World ourselves, we will continue to sell the Magic World core rulebooks for the foreseeable future. We are happy to see Magic World material (supplements, sourcebooks and accessories) coming out as licensed/fan-produced product. 

How about a licensed better version of the core rules?

49 minutes ago, goldenwheeldancer said:

How about a licensed better version of the core rules?

For now, no, because we still have over a thousand copies of the MW core books left in stock.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MOB said:

Just a note, I have contact Michael directly as to why I made the statement I did, and this is now happily cleared up. As a big MW and Chaosium fan in general, I like the direction that Michael and the rest of the team are going with all their lines (even the new RQ looks really cool and I'm not a RQ fan :P) 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, seneschal said:

Sounds like time for a promotion of some sort.  😀

There is the strong prospect of some licensed MW material coming out (from more than one licensee) in the foreseeable future. We will likely time a promotion of our MW core books to coincide with such a release.

• Like 5