Crowd Sourcing RQG stats for The Coming Storm and the Eleven Lights

Ian Cooper

Ok- I've finally revised my original contribution- correcting some typos and adding references:

Some thoughts on running Eleven Lights in Runequest Glorantha. I hope you find this useful and/ or sparks off some thoughts on how you would run the game.

Character creation- adapting the core book 

The Runequest core book character creation assumptions will need to be modified for a “Coming Storm” campaign:

1.    All PCs will be from the same clan- the Red Cow clan, rather than the diverse backgrounds outlined in the core books. RQG page references- p24, p60 & p103-109.

2.    Define early on which clans the PCs’ mother come from = p 11-12 of the “Coming Storm” gives you some advice- it will provide plot hooks for characters- the different Clans marry out. 

3.    Default starting date for the Coming Storm campaign is 1618, not RQG’s 1625 plus. Use the parents’ and grandparents’ family history in character creation- Runequest core book p27- 36. As you PCs will have not gone through the Hero Wars, they will start with a lower base values than the default assumptions in RQG, but higher than default RQ2. They will rapidly progress during the campaign, 

4.    The Red Cow clan is not an urban clan, so ignore the following occupations (RQG corebook p28):
Chariot Driver
Entertainer
Noble
Philospher
Scribe 
Thief (remember cattle rustling isn’t really considered theft if you’re the one doing it)

[NB: check other posts  for disagreements over this- some good points made ]

5.    The cults of the clan are given on page 15 of the Coming Storm- the following page references are to the RQG core book: (cults in order of popularity)
Ernalda (p75 & p 292-294)
Orlanth (p76-77 & p 300-302)
Barnatar (NPCs only- good for clan, not so good for adventurers)
Seven Mothers (NPCs only- unless you want to subvert the adventures- in which case, go ahead)
Heler (see Engizi the Sky Titan p75 & p292)
Yinkin (p79 & p310)
Odayla ( p76 & p300)
Engizi the Skyriver Titan (p75 & p292)
Vinga (as Orlanth Adventerous, only cooler p76-77 & p 300-302)
Issaries (p76 & p298) 
Humakt- NPCs only

[NB: check other posts  for disagreements over this-  some good points made]

6.    No PCs should be severed from society eg no Humakt or Babeestor Gor- PC actions and decisions should have consequences for their clan/ faction/ nation.

[NB: check other posts  for disagreements over this-  some good points made]

7.    The Red Cow clan are “Axe Orlanthi” (p10 Coming Storm)- the values listed for cultural weapons in RQG p60 should swap the axe/ spear and broadsword to reflect this. 

Passions

Passions will need to be adapted and personalised to reflect the campaign setting.

Loyality: Red Cow Clan 

Devotion: deity as per normal

Love: family- this should include the maternal side of the family which means links and bonds with other clans.

Hate: this should reflect traditional clan enemies such as Ogres, Telemori, the Lunar Empire.

If you have “rattle born” PCs (Coming Storm p13) then this should be recorded as a “Flaw” starting at 60%. As GM or PCs use to establish the maturity or otherwise of decision making by a “rattle born” PC. 

As campaign progresses- there are references to “directed improvements”  (a Heroquest game system term) to factions. Under Runequest Glorantha rules, this should be reflected as a  loyalty passion starting at 60%. It is quite likely that PCs will gain conflicting passions- this is to be encouraged by the GM.

The passions are one of the major changes to Runequest Glorantha compared to previous editions such as RQ2. GMs reinforce player decisions at key moments with mechanical improvements. This will emphasise to players that they have made a key social decision, with consequences for future play.

Heroquesting

There are two heroquests in the Eleven Lights:
1. The Stealing of the Giant’s Cows (Eleven Lights p30-36). This is an annual “this world” heroquest and the PC’s partipation can be moved from year to year as the campaign flow dictates.

2. The Three New Stars- a Glorantha changing heroquest which takes places in 1621-22 (Eleven Lights p 115-143).

Until the Gamemaster’s book is published with guidance on running heroquests in RQG, I can offer no advice. It us quite possible that if you start a campaign in autumn 2018, by the time you will need the heroquest rules, they will be available. (Or not)

Major NPC statistics 

The Coming Storm details 60 NPCs with portraits of each by Rachel Khan. The majority of NPCs do not require complete RQG statistics- many are your kith and kin and physical violence should be considered unthinkable. 

There are perhaps three ways to use statistics as and when necessary:

1.    The “quick and dirty” method- each major NPC has runes against their name- for social combat assign a percentage against a suitable rune on the fly and use an opposed role against the PC’s ability (RQG p142-144). 
Example: a PC is using his orate ability to persuade Chief Broddi Strong Kin that he be allowed to take part on “the stealing of the giant’s cows” heroquest despite having brought the clan into trouble recent. Broddi will resist with his Mastery rune at 95%. 

2.    The reduced statistics method:

Chief Broddi Strong Kin 

Runes: Mastery 95% Air: 80% Darkness or Earth  50% (not given in Coming Storm but refects clan’s friendly terms with trolls or go for earth)

Orate: 80%;  Charm 65%; Intimidate 50%; Intrigue 80% 

Speak Tradetalk 50%; Speak Stormspeach 35% Speak Darktongue 25%
Insight human 60%; Insight Trolls 30% Clan lore 75% 

3.    Cut, paste and tailor the sample Chief/ clan warriors/ rune priests statistics from Gamemaster Adventures book in the GM packs:

Typical Militia: page 15

Vingan Queen: page 22-24

Royal Bodyguards: page 24

Orlanth High Priest: page 25-26

Ernaldan High Priestess: page 26-27

Humakti Rune Lord: page 30

There’s range of more normal NPCs which can be used for raiders etc.

Beast statistics

Sample statistics for Telemori, giants, the Crimson Bat are given in the  Glorantha Bestiary.

One little quirk between Heroquest and Runequest, Heroquest uses the imperial measurement system, while Runequest uses the superior metric system, so Willandring the giant is 35 ft tall in Heroquest; roughly 10.5 metres tall in Runequest. The statistics I rolled are not that much different from the Bestiary but are presented as an example for you:

Willandring the Giant

35 foot tall- the clan blacksmith 

Hobbled, sad demour,  large nose and bearded  

Rune:Disorder 95%

STR:  66    CON: 16   SIZ:  64 INT:   POW: 16 DEX:  11  CHA: 6

Total hit points: 38

Hit location                          AP/ HP

1-4 Right leg                           13/10

5-8 Left Leg                            13/10   

9-11 Abdomen                       13/10               

12 Chest                                 13/13

13-15 Right Arm                     13/9     

16-18 Left Arm                       13/9
19-20 Head                            13/10   

Maul 85% 2D8 + 7D6 SR4

No magic 

Note: Willandring is hobbled by an injury inflicted on leg by Karganar Blood- Eye, the clan founder. Healing Willandring is a major plot point and so I would recommend that only the Rune magic “Heal Body” is effective (RQG p330).

A quick and dirty Telemori Shaman (ie probably needs more fleshing out in a campaign):

Jag Sor- Telemori Shaman

STR: 22     CON: 11   SIZ:  12 INT: 16   POW:  11 DEX: 11 CHA:  11

Beast 75% Chaos 25%

Hate humans 80%

Magic weapons and iron only can harm

Hit points 11

Hit location Armour/. Hit points

1-2 Right Hind leg 1 3

3-4 Left hand leg 1 3

5-7 Hindquarter 1 5

8-10 Forequarter 1 5

11-13 Right foreleg 1 3

14-16 Left foreleg 1 3

head 1 4

Bite 60% 1D8+1D4 SR 9

Snake Fetch

Spirit magic: heal, glamour, slow, vigour

POW 14

INT 11

CH 14

Magic points 14

Gloranthan Bestiary references:

Giants: pages. 45-46

Wolfbrothers/ Telemori: pages 85-87

Ogres: pages 103-104

Cattle: page 142

Horses: pages 145- 148

Shadowcats: page 159

Wolves: page 162

Spirits: pages 164- 173 [ includes Naiads page 171]

Wyters: pages 173-174

Elementals: pages 176 - 182

Crimson Bat: Pages 188- 190

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Dimbyd said:

4.    The Red Cow clan is not an urban clan, so ignore the following occupations (RQG corebook p28):
Chariot Driver
Entertainer
Noble
Philospher
Scribe 
Thief (remember cattle rustling isn’t really considered theft if you’re the one doing it)

Not sure why you'd ignore:

• Entertainer (there are or can be skalds, particularly attending Broddi);
  • Noble (king/queen, and all thanes and their offspring count as Noble);
  • or Scribe (there's always someone around to compose letters, record events at the moot, deal with Lunar tribute, etc.).

You could have Chariot Driver (consider the Culbrea foe is one), though certainly not common.

Agree re: Philosopher (unless you want a Lunar one) and Thief.

1 hour ago, Dimbyd said:

Humakt- NPCs only

Why? I'd probably allow this - particularly mercenaries hired or gathered to aid against the Telmori.  However, they'd likely have to go to Jonstown for holy day rites.

1 hour ago, Dimbyd said:

No PCs should be severed from society eg no Humakt or Babeestor Gor- PC actions and decisions should have consequences for their clan/ faction/ nation.

Remember that Humakt mercenaries can be hired and still fit. Or... they were born to clan, 'severed' by rite of passage into Humakt, and now part of Broddi's/Ivartha's huscarls.

As for Babeester Gor, as the Queen should be Ernalda priestess, and there will be other Ernaldans, this could work, though agree this one is harder fit given dedication to Earth temple.

1 hour ago, Dimbyd said:

If you have “rattle born” PCs (Coming Storm p13) then this should be recorded as a “Flaw” starting at 60%.

I'd add this as a Passion.  The plus side is that it reflects some unusual prowess (maybe martial, or augmenting such skills), and then the "flaw" as noted.

1 hour ago, Dimbyd said:

Willandring the Giant

35 foot tall- the clan blacksmith 

Hobbled,

This might be reflected in reduced HP for each leg. Or set a MOV of 0 or 1 (walk), and 2 (crawl).

1 hour ago, Dimbyd said:

All PCs will be from the same clan- the Red Cow clan, rather than the diverse backgrounds outlined in the core books.

I'd probably allow for a Maboder adopted into the Red Cow (they'd have been born just before the destruction of the Maboder), or refugees (e.g. from the Righteous Wind disaster in the Far Point and those who fled Harvar Ironfist).

Overall, looks good!

With professions etc, I do point out other views exist.

I personally wouldn’t want a campaign to start with a PC severed from society; however @Ian Cooper has mentioned that replacement PCs could include that as an option if the group agrees. And earlier in the thread, there were some suggestions of handling severed PCs in interesting ways- which I hadn’t considered.

I hadn’t considered Mov rates for Willandring- in my session, people ran into him- and early demise....

i should point out, I was expecting to run the Coming Storm/ Eleven Lights as a RGQ campaign for my local group- some of whom dislike HQG. However, I’m running it as a HQG for my online group. I had adapted the Crimson Bat scenario for RQG con games last year (much streamlined) , which has informed my approach to the above.

And to bring things full circle, I’m preparing session 3 of a RQG “one shot” set in Esrolia for my local group, which have reacted very well to the new ruleset. 

12 minutes ago, Dimbyd said:

I personally wouldn’t want a campaign to start with a PC severed from society

There's different levels of "severing" from society - I was just dealing with this with a new PC in my own campaign.  

It can range from the extreme where the person severs all former ties to kith, kin, and clan to "I sever myself from my former life and take up the Sword Death, and pledge my service to my chief or king", but effectively still in clan/tribe. They may (or may not) have given up Love(family). Loyalty might well be to the Chieftain/King rather than explicitly the clan/tribe, or might be dedicated/loyal to the clan/tribe.  I do think there's enough room for Humakti to work.  Gagarth, on the other hand,... 

15 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

There's different levels of "severing" from society - I was just dealing with this with a new PC in my own campaign.  

It can range from the extreme where the person severs all former ties to kith, kin, and clan to "I sever myself from my former life and take up the Sword Death, and pledge my service to my chief or king", but effectively still in clan/tribe. They may (or may not) have given up Love(family). Loyalty might well be to the Chieftain/King rather than explicitly the clan/tribe, or might be dedicated/loyal to the clan/tribe.  I do think there's enough room for Humakti to work.  Gagarth, on the other hand,... 

One of the players in my Eleven Lights campaign is a Humakti. We made her a Red Cow redsmith that had looked up to Jordarn the Clash as a mentor. When he was killed by Rostakus Twice-Outlawed, and Broddi accepted compensation, she swore herself over to Humakt and swore that she would avenge Jordarn and achieve justice. She quickly got the chance to face Rostakus in a duel, but was defeated when he critically struck her sword arm (nearly destroying her sword in the process). Now she has to figure out how she will honor the vows she has made to avenge Jordarn.

We play her functioning under the ritual of sheathing under most circumstances so she can continue to function alongside her clan members.

4 hours ago, Dimbyd said:

Chariot Driver
Entertainer
Noble
Philospher
Scribe 

A Thane is a noble, and many PCs are Thanes. Clans have nobles, not just tribes. Absolutely Noble should be an OK PC profession. Make them the head of a major stead, or the child of a major NPC thane. 

Chariot drivers are not particularly urban - kind of the opposite, actually, they are a very old-fashioned thing. There aren't any normally in the Red Cow, but of course your PC could be the only one (perhaps they joined from another clan?). They could be the chariot driver for a major NPC, which leads to fun conflicts of loyalty. 

While many entertainers are travellers, the Red Cow could easily support a clan skald. 

A Philosopher or Scribe would have been trained in Jonstown, but no reason you could not have a PC who was trained in Jonstown but has returned to the clan for some reason (perhaps their parent died and they need to look after family). A civilised city philosopher drawn back to clan life sounds like it is full of roleplaying potential. They would have to return to Jonstown for holy day rites. 

I agree on Thief - though same rule applies, if you really wanted to let them be a character who has come to the clan from elsewhere for some reason (such as exile or de facto exile (eg they fled enemies) from their home city). They'd have to be lying about their shady past obviously. 

In general, my philosophy is any single PC that does not fit the strict requirements is a fun story generator, as long as the majority of the party fit the main themes. 

• 5 months later...

I am starting the Eleven Lights campaign next week, so I'm working on stats for important NPCs in the first adventure. Here is my version of Ostling Spotted-Fur.

Name: Ostling Spotted-Fur

Age (Birth Year): 28 (1590)

Keywords: Telmori Brave

Homeland: Sartar

Tribe: Telmori

Clan: Fur Runners

Faction: Telmori

Appearance: Buckskin and rawhide clothing, high cheek-bones, long loose hair, moccasins

Characteristics [Wolf-Form]

STR 16 [32] CON 11 SIZ 11 DEX 14 INT 17 [8] POW 14 CHA 15

Hit Points: 11 Move: 8 [12] Damage Bonus: +1D4 [+2D6] DEX SR: 2 SIZ SR: 2 

Runes: Air: 80%, Death: 75%, Beast: 75%, Chaos 25%

Rune Points: 5 (Telmor Spirit Society, Initiate)

Rune Spells: Sanctify, Transform Self, Wolfhide, Wolfrunning, Wolf’s Head

Spirit Magic: Dullblade 3, Ironhand 3, Heal 2

Spirit Combat Damage: 1D6+1

Magic Points: 14

Passions: Hate (Leikorl the Shadow) 80%, Love (family) 70%, Honor 60%, Loyalty (Sartar) 60%, Loyalty (Telmori) 60%, Loyalty (Fur Runners) 60%

Armor: Buckskin (1) [Werewolf Fur (1), immunity to most weapons]

Skills: Dodge 58% [78%], Ride 15%, Dance 25%, Intrigue 40%, Orate 50%, Sing 40%, Animal Lore 45%, Battle 50%, Cult Lore (Telmor) 30%, Customs (Telmori) 45%, Meditate 5%, Spirit Combat 80%, Worship (Telmor) 25%, Conceal 30%, Listen 45% [30%], Scan 55% [40%], Track 90% [75%], Hide 45% [30%], Move Quietly 35% [20%]

Languages: Speak Telmori 60%, Speak Hoertling 30%

Ransom: 1,000 L

Equipment: snares

Weapon

%

Damage

SR

Pts

1H Spear

1D6+1+1D4

Javelin w. Atlatl

2D6+1+1D2

8 (6)

M. Shield

2D4

Bite

1D8+2D6

Location [Human]

d20

Armor/HP

Right Leg

01-04

1/4

Left Leg

05-08

1/4

Abdomen

09-11

1/4

Chest

1/5

Right Arm

13-15

1/3

Left Arm

16-18

1/3

Head

19-20

1/4

Location [Wolf]

d20

Armor/HP

Right Hind Leg

01-02

1/3

Left Hind Leg

03-04

1/3

Hindquarter

05-07

1/5

Forequarter

08-10

1/5

Right Foreleg

11-13

1/3

Left Foreleg

14-16

1/3

Head

17-20

1/4

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I've been running the events in 1625 following the Dragonrise in my game. The heroes have been sent on a secret mission by Kallyr to rescue Ostling Spotted-Fur and return him to his grandfather to secure the Telmori's aid in the Lightbearers' heroquest.

I've statted up a bunch of the NPCs from the 11 Lights for the game in the Cradle of Heroes:

I've also created a few factions (groupings of characters ready for a combat encounter or play):

You can use any characters from the Cradle directly, duplicate them from your own use or chose the text export and copy / paste.

Ex:

** Ivartha the Skinner **

Runes: Air Movement Illusion 
Homeland: Sartar, Occupation: Noble, Initiate of Cult: Orlanth Adventurous

STR: 19, CON: 17, SIZ: 13, DEX: 17, INT: 15, POW: 16, CHA: 18, 

Derived Stats: Damage Bonus: +1D4, Hit Points: 18, Magic Points: 16, Movement- Ground: 8, 

HP: -1 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 

Passions: Reputation 30%, Hate (Chaos) 80%, Love (Family) 75%, Loyalty (Clan) 90%, Loyalty (Tribe) 90%, Loyalty (Kallyr) 60%, 

Cults: Orlanth Adventurous - Initiate - Rune Points: 8

Runes: Air 100%, Earth 70%, Darkness 60%, Illusion 95%, Movement 95%, Mastery 50%, 

Skills: Medium Shield 120%, Broadsword 115%, Jump 106%, Orate 105%, Sing 100%, Climb 95%, Dodge 89%, Javelin 85%, Manage Household 80%, Spirit Combat 76%, Fist 70%, Large Shield 70%, Dagger 70%, Crossbows 70%

Spirit Magic: Mobility (1pts), Strength (2pts), Bladesharp (3pts), Disruption (1pts), Fanaticism (1pts), Detect Enemies (1pts)

Rune Spells: Dismiss Elemental (1pts), Leap (1pts), Shield (1pts), Dark Walk (1pts), Lightning (1pts), Mist Cloud (1pts), Earth Shield (3pts), Summon Elemental (1pts)

Spirits & Matrices:
Mygoch Stormfriend - Pow: 35, Cha: 16, Int: 12, MP: 35
Spells: Strength (2pts), Protection (5pts), Countermagic (6pts), Vigor (2pts)
Wolfbiter - Pow: 17, Cha: 15, Int: 13, MP: 17
Spells: Detect Magic (1pts), Second Sight (3pts), Binding Enchantment (1pts)

Attacks:
Dagger 70% 1D4+2+1D4 SR 7 6/6 HP 
Broadsword 115% 1D8+1+1D4 SR 5 12/12 HP 
Medium Shield 120% 1D4+1D4 SR 6 12/12 HP 
Wolfbiter (Iron Sword) 115% 1d8+2+1D4 SR 6 18/18 HP 
Light Crossbow 70% 2D4+2 SR 1 6/6 HP Rng 100
Thrown Javelin 85% 1D10+1D2 SR 1 8/8 HP Rng 20

Hit Locations:
(19-20) - Head Armor: 6  6/6 HP
(16-18) - L Arm Armor: 6  5/5 HP
(13-15) - R Arm Armor: 6  5/5 HP
(12) - Chest Armor: 6  7/7 HP
(9-11) - Abdomen Armor: 6  6/6 HP
(5-8) - L Leg Armor: 6  6/6 HP
(1-4) - R Leg Armor: 6  6/6 HP

Equipment:
Bronze cuirass (6pts), Bronze greaves (6pts), Closed helmet (5pts), cultural weapons, two riding animals, noble clothing (60L), 200 L in coing, 450 L in jewelry, vessels and luxury goods, 

Edited by Cgeist7
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2