HeroQuest SRD and OGL, genre packs

Ian Cooper

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, BruceMri said:

*perches like Nipper, cocks head*

It's a good thing the world keeps me supplied in shinies while I wait, but just curious: any news of note?

We are working through the draft. We want to get a first version that everyone finds the clearest presentation of the system yet. Hopefully you will bear with us a little while longer while we do that.

Work is continuing on Ron Edward's Cosmic Zap. He has playtest videos and notes over at his Actual Play site. You can check it out there. We have learned a lot from that and we are ready to start turning those ideas into something more concrete.

We are negotiating about a couple more genre packs, and also starting to think about a new core book with some sample genre packs in it. Obviously we need to get the presentation of the rules cleared up first.

Progress is ongoing. We want to get it right though.

• Like 6

• 4 months later...
On 9/1/2018 at 6:30 AM, Ian Cooper said:

Work is continuing on Ron Edward's Cosmic Zap. He has playtest videos and notes over at his Actual Play site. You can check it out there. We have learned a lot from that and we are ready to start turning those ideas into something more concrete.

We are negotiating about a couple more genre packs, and also starting to think about a new core book with some sample genre packs in it. Obviously we need to get the presentation of the rules cleared up first.

I'm extremely interested in both of these.

I hope to hear more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just an FYI and may have been covered already.

@Ian Cooper pg 74 HQG, part 3, confused my from my first read until today, so a long time...

That section mentions 2 lasting consequences determined etc. I then tried to make sense of the bits that followed like parting shot, and thought I was so dumb that I could not match up the part 3 with parting shots and asymmetrical exchanges.  And now I know it was the publisher doing a poor job of cut and paste, thanks to HQ2. Please fix this and either marry the text up or put a page reference to page 82!

6 hours ago, Aprewett said:

I thought about that but figured this SRD thinky is effectively HQ3.5

HW: RiG (2000): HQ0 (HW1)
HQ:RiG (2003): HQ1 (HW1.1)
HQ:CR (2009): HQ2 (HW2)
HQ:G (2015): HQ2.1 (HW2.1)
HQ SRD & OGL (2020...): HQ2.2 (HW2.2)

HW:RiG is to HQ:RiG what Ludwig von Mises (1881-1973)' Nationalökonomie: Theorie des Handelns & Wirtschaftens (1940) is to Human Action: A Treatise on Economics (1949): its edition zero! 😉

Edited by Christoph Kohring
Added the last -cultural- line...

9 hours ago, Christoph Kohring said:

HW:RiG is to HQ:RiG what Ludwig von Mises (1881-1973)' Nationalökonomie: Theorie des Handelns & Wirtschaftens (1940) is to Human Action: A Treatise on Economics (1949): its edition zero! 😉

A man after my own heart.  Don't see much Mises or Austrian Economics mentioned anywhere on the net.

On 2/22/2019 at 2:29 PM, vonpaulus said:

We are waiting for the SRD. When it will be released?

Me -silly me- I am waiting for the errata! When will it be released?!? I have been waiting since 2009... I have trouble understanding how an HQ SRD can be published before any corrected version of the last version of the rules. It just seems ass-backwards to me. How can one take seriously a publisher who doesn't believe in his product enough to ever put out an errata? Now -who knows? we might very well get an errata of the SRD once it is out before getting one for the core rules?!!

• Like 2

My HQG journey only started 18 months ago. That was also my introduction to Glorantha. Not really understanding the setting from HQG, especially the magic and creatures - powers of both. I thought I would have to delve into Runequest and along came the latest version. So I dived in and then started seeing masses of errata clarifications all over the place, so a few voices started calling for a official thread in one place and that was like pulling teeth. I don't understand a publisher who knows there is going to be errata, not starting an official thread day 2 after release, instead we all had to jump up and down begging. I gave up at this stage and realised I had pulled a clanger by buying into version 1 of the book and was never going to wrap my head (and time) around all the errata, let alone the rules. So in that time I must have spend close to $1000 buying current and old titles, I was loving what I was reading but the company that produces it... not so much. I have since given up on Runequest, the only thing I was half looking for was the discount code for the printed screen - I don't think its been sent, probably would not get it anyway unless I had spare cash. So I am generally a thumbs down with this publisher, not the fans though, deffinately the counter balance to my negative feelings.

Just my journey for those that might be interested in a newby's exposure to this place. They have my money, more fool me, diving in and not treading water for a bit to see if the temperture was ok. And yes I saw early on all the calls for an errata to HQ, but did not read the signs very well.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2019 at 4:03 PM, Christoph Kohring said:

Mythic Russia (HW1.2)

You forgot Mythic Russia.

• Haha 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Tinkgineer said:

Is this coming this year?

We can only hope.

It just be the prettiest and best-laid out of SRDs.

Personally, I like my SRDs as plain old documents that I can copy text from, not beautifully presented supplements that are difficult to use as sources.

• Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope there is some examples of Flaws. I dont think I am doing them right. I got the impression that they are the Resistance or Difficulty rating against witch the player is rolling a suitable ability.

Is that correct?

Or

They are an abiluty like any other and the gm still sets a difficulty level to roll against?