Ian Cooper

HeroQuest SRD and OGL, genre packs

19 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Thank you for the offer.

he problem I see is that many genres are variations on other genres, leading to the likelihood of multiple creators working on things that might be considered very similar. Like distinguishing between wuxia, anime-style fantasy, and the really over-the-top shonen series like the Dragonball franchise (I'm thinking about the style, not getting a license to make a Dragonball game). Tat's the problem I face when I inquire about something like that -- how do I know someone else isn't doing something so similar that we'll eat into each other's market?

Well, if TPTB will tell you and work with you to adjust your idea, And once they do and you get the go ahead, then its up to you to make a supplement that we all have to buy because it is so damn good :)

Don't be afraid of failure or success; that is the thing I have learned in my quest to be a free lancer and game developer. 

On 8/22/2019 at 4:23 AM, Michael Hopcroft said:

The problem I see is that many genres are variations on other genres, leading to the likelihood of multiple creators working on things that might be considered very similar. Like distinguishing between wuxia, anime-style fantasy, and the really over-the-top shonen series like the Dragonball franchise (I'm thinking about the style, not getting a license to make a Dragonball game). Tat's the problem I face when I inquire about something like that -- how do I know someone else isn't doing something so similar that we'll eat into each other's market?

Yes, that is a risk with any OGL engine, and the more successful it is, like D20 or PbTA, the greater the risk that you will be playing in a crowded field. There isn't really a way to fix that.

Ultimately, the HQ system needs more players, and I suspect that Ryan Dancey's original argument around the OGL of the network effect remains helpful for HQ to pull in more people. The more games there are that use HQ, the more willing people will be to play it because they have played other games that use the engine. 

I can understand there is a risk to investing if you can't protect your monopoly over a certain genre using the engine, but I think the trade-off with increased market size through OGL is worth it.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for all your advice! I think I will be pitching my fantasy anime idea soon enough (things like Slayers, Sword Arts Online, Overlord, etc.), especially as influenced by video games like the Final Fantasy series.

• Like 2

I suspect there is room for more than one supers game. Cosmic Zap is aiming to genre-emulate a very specific niche in comic book fiction, . If someone made a game that was optimized for the style of 80's X-Men soap operas or goofy Silver Age puzzle mysteries, they wouldn't necessarily be competing head-to-head, and they are selling very different experiences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Say,  @John Wick , would you be open to blessing a Houses of the Blooded genre pack for QuestWorlds? I was reading HotB tonight and was struck by the parallels with extended contests, community resources, and so on.

Edited by JonL
  • Like 1