Variable has no limit?

flynnkd

1 hour ago, PhilHibbs said:

I can't find this "listed price", though. That line may be a dangling reference to an old rule.

There's a chart on p. 257.

The part I'm not sure about is Seven Mothers cult spirit magic. It says "Befuddle and Glamour are provided at normal cult prices. All other spirit magic is available at twice the normal cult cost."

So...cult members can learn most anything from their temple, but at listed price? (cult price=half cost, so twice cult price=normal price) Beats trying to find a friendly shaman, I guess - I'm not sure I have a sense for whether the listed cult spirit magic is discounted specializations and anything not forbidden is typically available but at full price (which is how I think RQ2 worked, right?) or whether cults only teach their speciality spirit magic and leave people to find other teachers for other spells.

Okay, so it's not some sort of "Orlanth Sweeps the Temple" heroquest for getting free spirit magic. It's he's a cult member so he has access to all the cult spirit magic he wants, assuming he's got the coin to pay for it, once we figure out how much that is supposed to be. Right? 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

14 minutes ago, Unferth said:

Thanks. So the cost of most variable spells is 50 L per point, so 8 points would be two years of a noble's standard of living. That's a bit more than a week of sweeping. Oh, it's halved, so only one year of a noble's living expenses. My bad.

Edited by PhilHibbs

15 minutes ago, Unferth said:

The part I'm not sure about is Seven Mothers cult spirit magic. It says "Befuddle and Glamour are provided at normal cult prices. All other spirit magic is available at twice the normal cult cost."

So...cult members can learn most anything from their temple, but at listed price? (cult price=half cost, so twice cult price=normal price) Beats trying to find a friendly shaman, I guess - I'm not sure I have a sense for whether the listed cult spirit magic is discounted specializations and anything not forbidden is typically available but at full price (which is how I think RQ2 worked, right?) or whether cults only teach their speciality spirit magic and leave people to find other teachers for other spells.

Not sure if this helps with RQG, but they way it worked in RQ2 was that you could go to just about any cult and learn battle (spirit) magic if you had the money and didn't have any problems with the cult/temple in question. But, if you were a member of a cult, you usually got a discount (typically half price) on some particular cult related spells.   So with 7 Mother they probably mean full price for other spell. I could dig up Cults of Prax to see if they are the same spells. 

Edited by Atgxtg

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.