Moving in combat

Tupper

Newbie question about Runequest Glorantha here.

In the combat section, a round is described as running:

1. Players/GM declare actions for all characters.

2. Unengaged characters movement is resolved.

3. Attacks (magic, missile, melee) are resolved in order of strike ranks.

4. Book-keeping.

My read of this is that movement is something that happens *before* combat.  So if using a ranged attack, I can move and then attack, but not attack and then move.  That seems tidy, because then everyone moves, and combat is resolved based on where everyone is *after* moving.  

However, in the example on page 195, Vasana does something much more complicated.  She casts a spell at strike rank 5, and *then* moves 9 metres, along with drawing her bow (taking her to Strike rank 10 when she's finished, since drawing the bow takes 5 strike ranks).  I can see two ways to interpret this:

1. Vasana's actions are what she declares.  However, they get implemented in the order prescribed for the round: first she moves 9m, then she casts her spell (at strike rank 10, because of her other actions?  Or at strike rank 5 because it's taking place [theoretically] before she moves?).  She ends the movement phase 9m from where she started the round, and this will be her location when attacks are resolved.  

2. Movement and actions occur by strike rank.  So Vasana is standing still for strike ranks 1-5.  Then from strike ranks 6-10, she starts moving.  If someone attacks her on strike rank 7 (say), she will be 6 metres from where she started.

Interpretation 1 seems consistent with how the round is described, but interpretation 2 seems more consistent with the description of Vasana's activities (and potentially the example of firing a bow twice, where the two attacks happen at different strike ranks).  However interpretation 2 seems to mean that the round sequence should read:

1.  Players/GM declare actions for all characters.

2. Beginning with strike rank 1:

(a) unengaged characters moving on SR1 move.

(b) attacks on SR1 are resolved

3. Repeat step 2 for the remaining strike ranks (2-12).

4. Book-keeping.

Or, in other words, the combat round gets resolved strike rank by strike rank, even for people who are moving.

Which is correct?  

Any wisdom gratefully received! 😀

Edited by Tupper
Correct typo.
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tupper said:

Newbie question about Runequest Glorantha here.

Or, in other words, the combat round gets resolved strike rank by strike rank, even for people who are moving.

Which is correct?  

Welcome to RuneQuest.

I think the point of doing movement for unengaged characters first is: a) Because if they are really not engaged and are performing activities independent of the combat, what they are doing by definition doesn’t affect the combat so let’s get it out of the way first. b) To determine if they do end up being engaged or affecting the combat in some way, at which point we do need to start worrying about what strike rank they are doing stuff on, and it’s useful to find that out before resolvimg engaged character actions.

Simon Hibbs

Edited by simonh

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

Your option two is correct. Characters not in contact with a foe can move first. You track their movement, 1 SR at a time if their action is lively to effect other events. As Simon pointed out, you can readily process what they do if or when it occurs in relation to the action. If a character can close to contact less than half a move then, with suitable SR modifiers, get a chance to act. Other wise the move is considered to take up the whole round (with GM discretion for special cases). 

In the example with Vasana, she is not engaged so can cast a spell, or fire her bow or any other action. Simply add up the SR (which is why some characters can fire two arrows per round). Typical actions are cast a spell (such as baldesharp, multi missile or protection, then close to combat with enhanced abilities). Note that one cannot attack both magically and physically on the same round. So casting Disruption then following up with a sword swing is prohibited, but casting Bladesharp on your sword then hitting is allowed. 

Lastly, once your character is engaged in H2H they cannot move with either first defeating their opponent or disengaging 

• Like 2

Fantastic.  Thanks for the answers everyone.  That makes perfect sense:

Go strike rank by strike rank if there might be interaction (either because of the unengaged person potentially attacking or someone else potentially attacking them).

Just move them and be done if there's no danger of attacks.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Psullie said:

So casting Disruption then following up with a sword swing is prohibited, but casting Bladesharp on your sword then hitting is allowed. 

(bothered by the arbitrary ex post facto relationship here).

I can cast a spell, but the context of the spell defines what I can do later?  (I'm not asking to clarify, I know the rule is as you state it, I'm arguing the rule itself.)

Let's say I have a "create hole in the ground" spell.  If I cast it anywhere, I can still then swing a sword.  If I happen to cast it under a person, then I can't.

Would seem to be simpler to say either: "You can't cast a spell and attack in that round"

or (my preference): you get 2 actions a round from the following list as long as you have SR to do it (attack, parry, dodge, cast spell)

• Like 2

Characters who is not engaged (not in the reach of enemies' melee-weapon) can move before and after and between actions. And only "move before action" is resolved in Movement Phase. Move after and between action is resolved in Melee-Resolution Phase by strike rank order.

Someone enter the enemys' melee reach, he can not move any more (until disengaged).