RQG: how much RQ3 still in it?

BWP

10 hours ago, MOB said:

Chaosium is a strong supporter of brick and mortar FLGSs, as evidenced by our participation in the Bits and Mortar initiative,  

That's good news. I'd have been less relucatant about picking up the PDF if I had been aware that the cost went towards the hardcopy.

10 hours ago, MOB said:

Great, as you're self-aware that many of your posts here strayed a long way from the topic, this means we won't have to put a moderator hat on and ask you not to do it again. Start a new thread instead.

Yes I am. Lookon the bright side, if I had wanted to, I could have been a moderator here. Just think how awkward that would have been.

• Like 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

22 hours ago, Gene M. said:

I mean, I am also new to RQ. I'm 31, so I am too young to have been a RQ3 grognard (to bring it back to the thread topic a bit!).

That horse bolted long ago, I think.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

11 hours ago, Mankcam said:

I play games regardless of their art.

But I do buy books because of their art and production, and nice hardcovers are conversation pieces. Having great art in a hardcover book is definitely going to grab more people's attention these days.

I'm with you here; the art is the obvious standout, but the excellent, clean, colourful layout and graphic design are almost as important. One reason I always struggled to read RQ2 was that its bare-bones layout was much less readable than that of RQ3, the version I started with. And worse, I can remember my heart sinking when I first opened my copy of MRQ and saw its cheap, dire production and layout. (It had cheap art and dire editing, too, so judging that book by its layout turned out to be quite accurate.)

Beauty in layout and production isn't just a "nice to have" element; it's part of what makes a game a pleasure (or a pain) to read, and that has a real impact on how I ingest the game's rules and its atmosphere.

• Like 2

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

On 6/16/2018 at 8:34 AM, trystero said:

Beauty in layout and production isn't just a "nice to have" element; it's part of what makes a game a pleasure (or a pain) to read, and that has a real impact on how I ingest the game's rules and its atmosphere.

Yes, I couldn't have said this better. Totally agree with this 😁

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

On 6/15/2018 at 5:34 PM, trystero said:

I'm with you here; the art is the obvious standout, but the excellent, clean, colourful layout and graphic design are almost as important. One reason I always struggled to read RQ2 was that its bare-bones layout was much less readable than that of RQ3, the version I started with. And worse, I can remember my heart sinking when I first opened my copy of MRQ and saw its cheap, dire production and layout. (It had cheap art and dire editing, too, so judging that book by its layout turned out to be quite accurate.)

Eh, I think I'm in the group who prefers simple black & white books. I really like RQs simple, minimalistic style that still covers an entire game in a relatively small amount of pages, and gives just enough lore to get me interested while not flooding me with essays on all the different cultures and locations. I actually think RQ2 is more readable because there's not as much to distract from the text.

4 hours ago, Richard S. said:

I actually think RQ2 is more readable because there's not as much to distract from the text.

Me too, but my eyes aren't what they used to be. I sometimes find very stylistic fonts to be difficult to read. I'ts one of the things that I like about Chasoium. Most of their books were laid out in a format that made the text easy to read. But like I said, my eyes aren't what they used to be. A decade ago I was printing up 1/4 size character sheets to keep my characters in a dayplanner. Not anymore. 

Maybe when all us RPGs are retired they will start to print Large Text editions? 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

1 hour ago, Yelm's Light said:

One of the advantages of PDFs.

I’m really hoping that ePubs with anchored objects take over. In my mind it’s the future for aging gamers. I have a lot of clients in their 70s and 80s, some older still, all laptops and most tablets are too heavy for them to hold and read. Paperwhite kindles are certainly the way forward in my experience. And before anyone brings up VR headsets - they are way to heavy for the elderly.

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/