The Sorcerer's Isle

Thot

What do we know about the Sorcerer's Isle?

We do know that several solitary sorcerers live there (as Moorcock mentions this in the novel Stormbringer), where Elric decides to ask the "solitary practioners of the White Arts". on that island for advice, in order to be able to contact the lords of Law.

We also know from the maps that it is about the size of Ireland or Britain. Which is quite large.

We can conclude from its position next to Melniboné itself that it must have been part of the Bright Empire many centuries ago, and from its name that it is home to powerful magic.

Anything else? Any books, novels, remarks, or even RP supplements, that I am not aware of?

Edited by Thot

I've come across some bits and pieces that seem to be set on a Sorceror's Island, if not the Sorceror's Isle. The Crystal of Daerdaerdarth, one of the scenarios in the Stormbringer Companion, also included in the Games Workshop edition of the game, is set on a place called Earl Valyk's Isle; according to the scenario, this is located 80 km west of Sorceror's Isle. One of the scenarios in the Second Companion is entitled The Sorcerer's Isle, although if you look at the text it states that it is actually located on an island called Nisadnemepuur south of Melnibone proper. One of the main parts of Colin A. Brett's Golden Grimoire campaign is set on Sorceror's Isle, and includes a scanned hand-drawn map of the island and its immediate surrounding area; you can find it here:

http://www.colinabrett.me.uk/htdocs/storm.html

Finally, there is a scenario entitled Madness and Other Colours by the redoubtable Lawrence Whitaker for Mythras, which you can find here and other places such as Drivethrurpg:

http://thedesignmechanism.com/store.php#!/Madness-&-Other-Colours-PDF-Only/p/79012511/category=24197112

Reading between the lines, this one would appear to have originally been written for the Young Kingdoms, and the the sorcerer who made the dangerous statuettes, together with the so-called Ciirt short humanoids are very reminiscent of the spell thief Cran Liret and the Kretii. My own feeling is that this was intended for Sorceror's Isle, so that's where I'll be putting it when I run it for my lot...

Don't know if any of this helps, though!

Paul

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:57 AM, Paul Innes said:

I've come across some bits and pieces that seem to be set on a Sorceror's Island, if not the Sorceror's Isle. The Crystal of Daerdaerdarth, one of the scenarios in the Stormbringer Companion, also included in the Games Workshop edition of the game, is set on a place called Earl Valyk's Isle; according to the scenario, this is located 80 km west of Sorceror's Isle. One of the scenarios in the Second Companion is entitled The Sorcerer's Isle, although if you look at the text it states that it is actually located on an island called Nisadnemepuur south of Melnibone proper. One of the main parts of Colin A. Brett's Golden Grimoire campaign is set on Sorceror's Isle, and includes a scanned hand-drawn map of the island and its immediate surrounding area; you can find it here:

http://www.colinabrett.me.uk/htdocs/storm.html

Finally, there is a scenario entitled Madness and Other Colours by the redoubtable Lawrence Whitaker for Mythras, which you can find here and other places such as Drivethrurpg:

http://thedesignmechanism.com/store.php#!/Madness-&-Other-Colours-PDF-Only/p/79012511/category=24197112

Reading between the lines, this one would appear to have originally been written for the Young Kingdoms, and the the sorcerer who made the dangerous statuettes, together with the so-called Ciirt short humanoids are very reminiscent of the spell thief Cran Liret and the Kretii. My own feeling is that this was intended for Sorceror's Isle, so that's where I'll be putting it when I run it for my lot...

Don't know if any of this helps, though!

Paul

You'd be correct. Many years ago, before Elric! was released, there was a Sorcerer's Isle book planned. I worked on it with Richard Watts and Mark Morrison, and 'Madness...' was written as a gateway adventure for getting the characters to the island. Things changed, Stormbringer became Elric!, and the Sorcerer's Isle book was dropped. I decided to resurrect the adventure as a generic S&S scenario a couple of years ago. But yes, Loric Nygh is Cran Liret, and the Ciirt are the Kretii.

• Like 4

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

• 1 year later...