RQG Preview - more of the Bestiary

MOB

And so... if I want the rules for HeroQuesting I buy the GM Pack?

Folks, this isn't some wobbly-point. We're talking about the rules for HeroQuesting. Which product the rules for HeroQuesting will be clearly explained and integrated into the RuneQuest Glorantha game line is kind of a big deal.

"But Pendragon isn’t intended to be historical, just fun.
So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

9 minutes ago, creativehum said:

Folks, this isn't some wobbly-point. We're talking about the rules for HeroQuesting. Which product the rules for HeroQuesting will be clearly explained and integrated into the RuneQuest Glorantha game line is kind of a big deal.

Rules for heroquesting are in the GM book. The GM pack is a few adventures and NPCs. Think of the core book lineup like Hero Wars' lineup: the player's book, the narrator's book, and Anaxial's roster kinda works as the Bestiary.

But seriously, is this that important? We'll know what's in everything when they come out, no need to get your jimmies in a rustle yet.

39 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

I think the only significance is whether you need to buy campaign materials that you might not use in order to get the full game rules. It's not an issue that bothers me though.

Bingo.

As I said, I'm trying to figure out the buy-in for the game.

I know for a lot of people here it will be, "I'm all in forever!"

For some of us, who are dipping our toes in getting a sense of what we need to pay to get the rules for the game is not jimmies issue. It's a matter of dollars. Which isa practical and real thing, and something worth being curios about.

Edited by creativehum

So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

1 hour ago, creativehum said:

Here's the quote:

So, the "GM's book" might be part of the GameMaster's Pack? Which is really a setting pack, not a GM Book?

I guess? I don't know? I give up?

Given it says "the GM's book will also feature," the "also" implies it's the same book. It's called a pack, I imagine, because it includes a GM's screen.

5 minutes ago, Gene M. said:

Given it says "the GM's book will also feature," the "also" implies it's the same book. It's called a pack, I imagine, because it includes a GM's screen.

I hear you. I really do. But other words posted online from people directly involved in RQG suggest there is a separate GM Book.

Look. I'll stand back and wait. 

The cover of the Bestiary, like everything else coming out of Chaosium right now, looks fucking fantastic.

• Like 2

So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

8 hours ago, creativehum said:

But other words posted online from people directly involved in RQG suggest there is a separate GM Book.

Yes, there will be a separate GM Book.  That is downstream in the publication list as noted above.

What is coming after the Bestiary is the GM Pack.  That is what Jeff has noted has the Colymar sandbox + scenarios + calendar + GM screen.  

10 hours ago, creativehum said:

if I want the rules for HeroQuesting I buy the GM Pack?

No.  That will come later.  That will be the GM Book.  

It would be less confusing if names were more distinct.  Maybe it will be by the time it is released.

On 6/20/2018 at 4:51 PM, creativehum said:

Nope, the GM book. Jeff said it's going to be awesome. 

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

19 hours ago, kiryamo said:

News about the famous "Premium Slipcase" edition of the 3 books...?

Yeah that's what I'm a-waitin' for 😎

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

On 6/19/2018 at 1:59 AM, styopa said:

Cripes, can you imagine the viewership if Will Wheaton was playing an RQ session run by Sandy Petersen?  If Will could get Felicia Day to play, it'd break the internet.

Yeah that would be great, and crikey if Felicia plays I will know I'm dead and gone to heaven 😎

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

5 hours ago, Mankcam said:

Yeah that's what I'm a-waitin' for 😎

Oh, c'mon ... You actually expect us to believe that you're not buying the RQG rulebook as soon as it's out???  That you're waiting for the slipcase set?

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Without surprise, last night, Jason confirmed that GM Pack and GM book were two different books:
https://gmshoe.wordpress.com/2018/06/27/qa-jason-durall-runequest-glorantha/

[21:23] <+mib_j0446f> What are the “core books” for RQG that are enough to really enough support to start a campaign and play well–without having to buy the entire upcoming game line?

[21:24] <+JasonDurall> Rulebook, bestiary, GM pack, and the GM Sourcebook.

[21:25] <+JasonDurall> If you really want to go deep, the Gods of Glorantha book is the essential reference to the gods, but many are covered in the core rules.

[21:25] <+JasonDurall> GM Screen + Pack… lovely four-panel GM screen, a three-adventure sourcebook with Apple Lane described (a starting hamlet/location), reference sheets, maps, etc.

[21:28] <+JasonDurall> The GM Sourcebook is a new book that covers campaign creation, encounters, treasure, metals, etc.

And, not to be ignored :-) :

We have many, many books in development. More than we can possibly do in the next four or five years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, 7Tigers said:

[21:23] <+mib_j0446f> What are the “core books” for RQG that are enough to really enough support to start a campaign and play well–without having to buy the entire upcoming game line?

6 hours ago, 7Tigers said:

[21:25] <+JasonDurall> GM Screen + Pack… lovely four-panel GM screen, a three-adventure sourcebook with Apple Lane described (a starting hamlet/location), reference sheets, maps, etc.

I'm the one who asked that question last night.

What I forgot to ask is what makes the GM Pack "essential." I'm not saying it isn't. I'm curious what makes it so.

So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

50 minutes ago, creativehum said:

I'm the one who asked that question last night.

What I forgot to ask is what makes the GM Pack "essential." I'm not saying it isn't. I'm curious what makes it so.

I suppose it depends on whether you consider those components essential. I'd say not technically, but it's the closest thing we're going to have to a gameable setting book or GM book for quite a while. It would be on my list of recommendations too, while the cults book would not since so much on cults is presented in the core book and, by the looks of it, in the monster book.

In a year's time that might change. If there's another bigger setting book, campaign pack, or such out by then I suppose the GM pack might lose that distinguishing status.

It's all relative. If you intend to run a highly political game set in human lands, the monster book might be less useful to you than the cults book.

Edited by simonh
  • Like 1

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

On 6/28/2018 at 1:05 AM, g33k said:

Oh, c'mon ... You actually expect us to believe that you're not buying the RQG rulebook as soon as it's out???  That you're waiting for the slipcase set?

Oh I'll probably end up buying a the RQG corebook, that will be my gaming table book. Then I'll get the slipcase 3 volume set for the bookcase, to sit next to the slipcase of CoC 7E. That's how I'll roll 😎

3 minutes ago, Humakt said:

Is any realise date for the bestiary? Or it’s will be at gencon?

tia

This month is what has been said.  I think Chaosium has been rather busy with Masks of Nyalathotep which just went out and so that's why there's been a dearth of Bestiary News.

The Bestiary is almost through layout (as in it's completely laid out and there are some things that need fixing). I'm going through now and correcting the many small errors and issues that we've identified in the manuscript since the book went into layout. Once those are complete, it'll be made available for .pdf sale, just as with the core rule book. 

Right after that, the GM Pack & Screen will go on sale. 

The Bestiary will not be in print for Gen Con, as that takes months, but both it and the GM Pack & Screen will be available for sale via .pdf at that time. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...