Nice idea, but Niven already offered something similar with the Klemperer-rosette home system of the Puppeteers, the other "ringworld" of his universe fleeing the destruction of the galactic core. My problem with a system like this is that it requires corrective measures to make components maintain their positions in case of disturbances by newly arriving masses, whether additions to the rings or to the central object.

The nine identical suns (where will you find these?) also need to be controlled for their life cycles, or need some re-fueling to optimize their outputs.

A system like that would probably show little in the way of astronomical signals, hiding inside a dyson sphere or similar.

I have been wondering what could be made out of a solar system still accreting its planetary disk if some outside agency took control over that - accretion of rocky planets with a hydrosphere by planned collisions, creating a much higher population of rocky stars with tolerable gravities inside the Goldilocks zone, and parking all that hydrogen in controlled gas giants serving to power artificial fusion or to refuel the sun? Or even just mining such a disk belter style, using the vast amount of raw material for artificial habitats and other construction projects.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

The idea of 9 stars orbiting a black hole is nice! Even with only 100 planets in the system it would offer a lot of room for adventures. Without FTL. 

Earth-sized moons around gas giants are cool. But wouldn't gravity and radiation be a problem?

• Like 1

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

6 hours ago, dragoner said:

The blogger is an astrophysicist, it's an interesting blog just for the mechanics of planet and solar system building. 

I have some misgivings because of tidal effects of the Klemperer rosettes on one another. According to Wikipedia, even the very simple Puppeteer-type arrangement doesn't have a robust equilibrium and might be disrupted by a missing planetoid passing through that system. The highly staggered rosettes of that 1000 body system with different orbital periods - even if they might be part of a harmonic sequence providing some stability, like for the major Jovian moons - just looks like a pinball effect waiting to happen, to me. (The orbits I am more familiar with are orbitals, so my grasp of astrophysics is fairly rudimental.)

The comments section can be fairly interesting as well, where people are talking the delta v for transfer orbits, and things like that. I look at a lot of this as civil engineering problems, each age has raised the scale of projects in an order of magnitude, so that some highly evolved species could plausibly be able to do engineering on a galactic scale.

I don't think I would collect earth size planets, earth being on the high end of rocky planets before getting into the Neptune sized small gas planets. Wet and warm Martian worlds would be a lot easier to get on and off, and the entire construct looks like it requires active maintenance, to me at least. Possibly a dyson sphere capturing not just solar wind but also dislodged atmosphere that can be shot back as snowballs.

Interceding in the formation of planets, sure, one could think of planets at the Lagrange points, and the  blog goes into a lot of that subject with the ultimate engineered solar system - https://planetplanet.net/2014/05/23/building-the-ultimate-solar-system-part-5-putting-the-pieces-together/ 

I like the graphic here: ultimate_solarsystem2-0031.jpg

That is pretty cool.

And even less likely to provide stable orbits inside the tidal forces of the gas giants, unless harmonic numbers may stablilize the relative orbital speeds. Look at the missing planetary mass between Mars and Jupiter. Now have much smaller distances between orbits. Would you bet anything on those inner orbits?

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Regarding the 1 million Earth system, I remember the feeling I got when reading Ringworld for the first time. And then still being shocked when I saw the map of Earth overlayed in the RPG booklet. 

In many ways, Ringworld was too big to function as an RPG world. At least for the teenage version of me. Or perhaps it was just a lack of details?

• Like 1

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

• 2 months later...

Remember the Puppeteer reaction to the Ringworld... They were terrified.  Now you're engineering with a black hole?

Any sane Merchant will be simultaneously drooling with greed and wetting himself with terror.  Same for a Scout.  And likely most other professions...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig