Ships

Atgxtg

Anyone know a good source for ship deckplans suitable for gaming on? I'm helping a GM find something he can use in his campaign to represent the group's ship. It's two masted, about 80 feet long, and probably something like a Brig or even a small frigate.  

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I found a few, but not a lot that fit what the GM is looking for. There are tons of 3 masted ships, and a fair assortment of smaller, single masted vessels, but there were only a couple that were close, and most of those were ghost ships and such with cobwebs and all that kinda give them the wrong mood.

But thanks all the same. I'll give drivethru another look. 

On 6/19/2018 at 1:42 PM, Atgxtg said:

Anyone know a good source for ship deckplans suitable for gaming on? I'm helping a GM find something he can use in his campaign to represent the group's ship. It's two masted, about 80 feet long, and probably something like a Brig or even a small frigate.  

I've been working on some maps, etc. for a Stormbringer RPG, and would be happy to try to make deckplans for the group's ship. The more details the better, and a rough drawing would be very helpful. Let me know if you are interested.  Rob

3 hours ago, Blaheee said:

I've been working on some maps, etc. for a Stormbringer RPG, and would be happy to try to make deckplans for the group's ship. The more details the better, and a rough drawing would be very helpful. Let me know if you are interested.  Rob

Thanks. That is a very kind offer. I'll ask the GM more about the ship.

On 6/20/2018 at 10:06 PM, Blaheee said:

I talked to my GM, but he found something that he likes. Thanks anyway. 

BTW, Are the maps Young Kingdoms or something different?

2 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

I talked to my GM, but he found something that he likes. Thanks anyway. 

BTW, Are the maps Young Kingdoms or something different?

No problem. The campaign is initially set in the Isle of Purple Towns, so I made a map of that island that I'd be happy to share. Most of the other maps are of individual locations (created mostly from scratch rather than based on existing Elric material).

Rob

Thanks again. The Purple Towns Map would be cool. Some of the other stuff might be, too, especially if there were adventures to go with them. 

Oh, I've been working on expanding the ship stuff. I've gathered materials from all the version of the game that use these rules (or something similar) to get more types, and come up with was to vary things a bit (so not all Brigs have the same exact stats), customize ships a bit, and add cannon. I've got a thread started on it. I'm even working out stuff like push a ship (or even flying one) with air elementals. 

Edited by Atgxtg

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps this would be of some use

https://notesfrompavis.wordpress.com/2016/04/03/the-sea-the-sea-gloranthan-ships-for-rq6/

in addition there exists a supplement called ships and shield walls which should be possible to be used with most d100 games

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hkokko said:

Perhaps this would be of some use

Yes, somewhat. Thanks.

Oh, I was wondering something. I'm setting up ship construction rules to go with the hsip stats. The goal is that a GM or player can pick the dimensions of his ship (length, beam, draft) and this will tell him the cargo capacity, speed, seaworthiness and (with the addition of tech levels) Hull Quality. To keep this simple, I'm using the easiest (and oldest) formula for tunnage I can find, namely LxBxD/100 (the caperntuer's rule or Baker's rule). I've set up the "baseline" ship with a Beam of 14 feet and a Draft of 7 feet. That way the tunnage will always equal the length. 

Assuming anybody else here is interested in ships, would you prefer to do the math yourself, or would you prefer to pick Length, Beam and Draft from a table and add up the three "stats" to get a tunnage?

17 hours ago, hkokko said:

At the moment - for tools I use the table approach would be better. I am using Campaign Logger generators for generating my ships which is very good with tables but does not know much math...

Both methods will use some math. In the first you multiply the Length*Beam*Depth yourself, and in the second you pick Length, Beam, and Depth on separate columns, and they give you a SIZ total to lookup and see what the tonnage is.

I'll have another table with some pre-constructed ships, probably around three (small, medium, large) of each type. For example, a small sloop might be 50 tuns, a medium one 100 tuns, and a large one 150 tuns. The construction rules will let you make a 35 tun, 75 tun, or 120 ton sloop.