Future World

Sigtrygg

About a year ago I finished a Future World Campaign for my players. I like future world because the rules are simple and I don't have to use the rules a lot. I have always been the type to learn better through trial and error of playing. Even after having run RQ II for 7 years and played RQ II since 1982-3, there are a few rules I don't know or remember.  My players seem to enjoy the game though. For beginning G.M.s I highly reccomend  Future World. Using the small book of BRP and Future World. I was able with fair ease to set up scenario with visual aids like Ryan Wolf's 0-hr miniatures and deck-plans and Matt Francella's Battle-mats. Even to having a space battle with miniatures. I dropped the gate scenario and developed my own universe, taking inspiration from Niall Shapiro's "Other Suns", David Brin's Uplift series and someone who wrote about a last man and woman on earth with animals raised to human conciousness. Don't remember the Author, but remember some of the story. 'So I developed a background for it. Getting ready to run a new adventure in the same universe. As someone else said I have high hopes that Chaosium returns Worlds of Wonder/Future World to their line-up. A lot can be done with it.

Author's name: A. E. Van Vogt, Title : The battle of Forever. Have read it twice over the years, Think I will 'read it again.

Edited by Ethereal
Missing element
  • Like 2

On 7/8/2018 at 3:23 AM, Sigtrygg said:

I have added spaceships to my setting but they are very hard science, no reactionless drives or artificial gravity. The gates remain the only method for FTL travel.

Heh, I've had a bit of an argument with some guys about this before over the years...

You have added spaceships to your setting, but they are very hard science according to the current state of the art without reference to theoretical applications that are not yet able to be engineered, so no reactionless drives or artificial gravity.  The gates remain the only method for FTL travel, despite the entire concept being a theoretical applications that are not yet able to be engineered. 

Yes, your game, your fun, your rules.  I'm not trying to piss all over your world concept, it just irks me when people toss out "hard science" like it means something real, when the "hard science" of the present was often times the "SF" or even "pseudoscience" of the past. 

It could be a lot of fun with a gritty SF game, but I'll point out that Van Neumann machines, a doable "hard science" concept has mutated from the original concept of some kind of robotic macro factory, to nanomachines, to 3D printing style devices over the last sixty years.  Which points out how what is "hard science" changes over time as reality catches up with theory and SF.  Heh, it also points out a number of issues with some of the current popular "proven" theories to the point of making some of them unscientific in many senses, but that is another issue.

• Like 1

The 'Hardness' of any SF setting is on a spectrum. I consider The Expanse to be pretty hard SF. It picks a few very specific things to fudge and then for the very large part sticks with that. What I really dislike is fiction that arbitrarily shifts the rules around on you. 

• Like 1

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

20 hours ago, simonh said:

The 'Hardness' of any SF setting is on a spectrum. I consider The Expanse to be pretty hard SF. It picks a few very specific things to fudge and then for the very large part sticks with that. What I really dislike is fiction that arbitrarily shifts the rules around on you. 

Heh, virtually all of the "hard" SF stories do that.  The few that don't are actually hard science with extrapolations from current tech and tend to be, at the most, solar system adventures.  Best example I can think of off hand would be Pournelle's High Justice books and although he considers them different, many have pointed out that they do tie in (somewhat vaguely) with the updated (since the fall of the USSR ended the original premise) CoDominium universe books with the main fudges (outside of the political setup) being the Alderson jump drive (for FTL) and the Langston field for defense.