RuneQuest Dice from Q-Workshop

MOB

Ok, on the plus side, it looks pretty and allows me to roll a random number between 1 and 20 or a random rune.

On the downside, it would be a nightmare to read, with all the stuff below the numbers and what advantage is this over a normal d20 and a list of runes?

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

45 minutes ago, soltakss said:

Ok, on the plus side, it looks pretty and allows me to roll a random number between 1 and 20 or a random rune.

On the downside, it would be a nightmare to read, with all the stuff below the numbers and what advantage is this over a normal d20 and a list of runes?

Readability is almost always the failing of Q-Workshop dice, in my experience; they like cluttered designs in which I can barely make out the numbers up close, let alone from across a table. I got their Horror on the Orient Express set as part of the HOTOE Kickstarter and have never used them.

The RuneQuest D20 shown above is actually pretty good by their standards: the numerals aren't obscured, and there's a bit of clear margin around them, so they might be more legible than usual. I'm hoping…

Also, given that RQG only has a single hit-location table, I wonder whether the set will include a D20 labelled with hit locations to save one table look-up. If it could be made readable, I'd actually find that quite useful.

• Like 1

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

I don't think it's meant to let you roll random runes (though you can if you want), those are probably just on there for decoration.

1 hour ago, trystero said:

Also, given that RQG only has a single hit-location table, I wonder whether the set will include a D20 labelled with hit locations to save one table look-up. If it could be made readable, I'd actually find that quite useful.

There are many hit location tables.  Having just ran a session I had mount, rock lizard, and a weird 4 armed creature as examples.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skovari said:

There are many hit location tables.  Having just ran a session I had mount, rock lizard, and a weird 4 armed creature as examples.

Fair point: I should have said "for most adventurers".

• Like 1

— 

So they could sell mulitple hit location dice.Yeah, that's bad for a company, more products they could sell us. 😏

Seriously, you should contact them  and give them the idea. I'm going to see how much custom dice cost these days. I think they could put little sword and bow symbols and RQ3 fans would have D20s with melee and missle hit locations. 

Edited by Atgxtg
  • Like 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

4 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

I'm going to see how much custom dice cost these days. I think they could put little sword and bow symbols and RQ3 fans would have D20s with melee and missle hit locations. 

https://www.awesomedice.com/blog/545/custom-dice-manufacturing/ - basically it seems Chessex and Q-Workshop are the options available. I know Modiphius went with Q-Workshop for the custom hit-location D20s for their Robert E. Howard's Conan RPG; that game uses a different hit-location distribution from RQG, however, so those D20s aren't RQG-compatible.

— 

12 minutes ago, jongjom said:

Interesting. Does Q Workshops' crooked dice roll in my favour? If so I'll buy two sets but buy a professional set for the GM 😉 

Why don't you give him the dice that are weighted to roll bad? Think of all the lives you'll save! ;) 

Edited by Atgxtg

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

13 hours ago, Richard S. said:

I don't think it's meant to let you roll random runes (though you can if you want), those are probably just on there for decoration.

So, why should I buy these rather than a plain d20?

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

For the same reason I like using black d6 with red pips when playing Classic Traveller.* The Q-Workshop dice will make the table more Rune-y. That might not be reason enough for some people to buy them, but will be for others.

Now, there my be more functionality built into them to be revealed later. But for now, that seems to be the reason.

* Or why some people buy a BMW over a Honda Civic, and so on. Sometimes a choice of purchase is not based on practical utility but on aesthetics or the pleasure given by design rather than function alone.

• Like 2

"But Pendragon isn’t intended to be historical, just fun.
So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

38 minutes ago, creativehum said:

For the same reason I like using black d6 with red pips when playing Classic Traveller.* 

We had to stop using black and red traveller style dice as our colourblind members found them very hard to read. 

• Haha 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

13 hours ago, soltakss said:

People buy things because they look pretty.

Later tonight on local news, we have John with a breaking report that the sky is blue and that water is wet.

• Like 2