RuneQuest Dice from Q-Workshop

MOB

Two colours. And still looking fairly reasonable in terms of legibility. (I'd probably struggle a bit with the "tens" die if I used "tens" dice.)

• Like 3

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

18 hours ago, trystero said:

Two colours. And still looking fairly reasonable in terms of legibility. (I'd probably struggle a bit with the "tens" die if I used "tens" dice.)

I never use the "tens" dice either.  I just use different colored "d10" dice.  And with this coming in 2 different colors, that is now possible!   Just wish it came with three of the d6 dice.  Or they give a way to buy extra d6 perhaps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skovari said:

I never use the "tens" dice either.  I just use different colored "d10" dice.  And with this coming in 2 different colors, that is now possible!   Just wish it came with three of the d6 dice.  Or they give a way to buy extra d6 perhaps.

I am fairly certain they'll be selling them individually, but I can ask them to confirm. 

I know they sell their specialty dice singly at conventions. 

• Like 1

I just heard back from them, and they've said they have no current plans to sell individual dice. They've done so in the past, and it's always been to the detriment of pack sales, which is their focus. That said, they've got very ambitious plans for the RQ line, and I'm suggesting a second "expansion" pack with multiple d6s in it, perhaps a deluxe "all in one" set that has everything in both boxes plus a couple of extra d6s. 

Edited by Jason Durall
Grammar
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Jason Durall said:

…I'm suggesting a second "expansion" pack with multiple d6s in it, perhaps a deluxe "all in one" set that has everything in both boxes plus a couple of extra d6s.

One of my local game stores (Pandemonium Books & Games in Central Square, Cambridge MA) sells sets they call "Pandy Dice", which have 4D4, 6D6, 4D8, 3D10 (one of them a "tens" die), 1D12, and 2D20 in a small tin. These are great for D&D-type games, and I've bought several sets for use as "guest dice" (for when my players leave their own dice at home).

Obviously this loadout wouldn't be quite right for RQ:G, but I'd love to see a practical set like this rather than the usual one-die-of-each-size set.

What do folks think is the minimal reasonable set of dice needed at the table?

D4: So far I can't see anything in the rulebook that uses more than 2D4 (either 2D4+2 for the light or repeating crossbow or a 1D4 weapon with a +1D4 damage bonus).

D6: Whoah. Wyter and spirit POW values range up through 10D6. I suspect most players would get by just fine with 4D6 (or even 3D6) at the table, though 5D6 would be better.

D8: I don't see anything that needs more than 2D8.

D10: We need a "tens" die and a "ones" die, at least, and there are a few places (cold exposure, bison attacks!) that call for more. I'd suggest 3D10, with one of them being a "tens" die.

D20: Just one needed, I'd think.

In every case, I'm assuming that we're okay asking folks to roll their damage dice twice (so we don't need 4D8 just to account for greatsword slash results), but I'm prepared to be convinced otherwise.

• Like 1

— 

32 minutes ago, styopa said:

If they're customizing the dice anyway, I'd suggest that instead of a decorative border, for the d20, the base of each triangle could list the hit location for humanoid.  That would be cool and pretty useful.

I've been considering making custom Q-Workshop hit-location dice, and in my design efforts so far have found that it's quite difficult to get the word ABDOMEN to appear legibly on the tiny 11.5mm triangular face of a D20. I may yet have to back down to simple H / C / A / RA / LA / RL / LL notation. 🙂

— 

2 hours ago, styopa said:

If they're customizing the dice anyway, I'd suggest that instead of a decorative border, for the d20, the base of each triangle could list the hit location for humanoid.  That would be cool and pretty useful.

Yup, and if I had a say (I don't) I'd replace that odd decoration they use under  the numbers with a more typical row of runes between lines like they do on the RQG cover. Then I would seem more RQ ish. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

5 hours ago, trystero said:

I've been considering making custom Q-Workshop hit-location dice, and in my design efforts so far have found that it's quite difficult to get the word ABDOMEN to appear legibly on the tiny 11.5mm triangular face of a D20. I may yet have to back down to simple H / C / A / RA / LA / RL / LL notation. 🙂

Oh I wouldn't, just go with Abdmn for Abdomen.  Eggs and omelets.  I wouldn't toss out the full words for all the others just because you have to abbreviate that one.

6 hours ago, trystero said:

Hd / Ch / Abd / RA / LA / RL / LL

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 7/5/2018 at 2:35 AM, Jason Durall said:

I just heard back from them, and they've said they have no current plans to sell individual dice. They've done so in the past, and it's always been to the detriment of pack sales, which is their focus. That said, they've got very ambitious plans for the RQ line, and I'm suggesting a second "expansion" pack with multiple d6s in it, perhaps a deluxe "all in one" set that has everything in both boxes plus a couple of extra d6s. 

Sorry to hear this.  Just seems to me that having more d6 available at least as they are used in character creation would be good and not impact set sales.  In this case with me and my group they have lost sales of sets because of this decision.  Even something as simple as a set of two d6 so we have 3 when you add a complete set seems to make sense.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2018 at 2:18 PM, trystero said:

One of my local game stores (Pandemonium Books & Games in Central Square, Cambridge MA) sells sets they call "Pandy Dice", which have 4D4, 6D6, 4D8, 3D10 (one of them a "tens" die), 1D12, and 2D20 in a small tin. These are great for D&D-type games, and I've bought several sets for use as "guest dice" (for when my players leave their own dice at home).

Obviously this loadout wouldn't be quite right for RQ:G, but I'd love to see a practical set like this rather than the usual one-die-of-each-size set.

What do folks think is the minimal reasonable set of dice needed at the table?

D4: So far I can't see anything in the rulebook that uses more than 2D4 (either 2D4+2 for the light or repeating crossbow or a 1D4 weapon with a +1D4 damage bonus).

D6: Whoah. Wyter and spirit POW values range up through 10D6. I suspect most players would get by just fine with 4D6 (or even 3D6) at the table, though 5D6 would be better.

D8: I don't see anything that needs more than 2D8.

D10: We need a "tens" die and a "ones" die, at least, and there are a few places (cold exposure, bison attacks!) that call for more. I'd suggest 3D10, with one of them being a "tens" die.

D20: Just one needed, I'd think.

In every case, I'm assuming that we're okay asking folks to roll their damage dice twice (so we don't need 4D8 just to account for greatsword slash results), but I'm prepared to be convinced otherwise.

Phew, this is one thing you never have to worry about with GURPS.  Although it honestly detracts from the cool factor...

7 minutes ago, Daniel Stevenson said:

If you're really concerned about fair dice, check out this article.  Gamescience is indeed generally more fair, although their d20's roll significantly fewer 14's 🙄.  Also, don't buy Crystal Caste.

I knew someone who was paranoid about fair dice, so he'd buy D6s as follows:

• Go into a games shop and roll ALL the D6s, selecting only those that rolled a 6
  • Reroll this and remove any that did not roll 6
  • Continue until you are left with a small number of dice and then buy those
  • His rationale was that they must be slightly flawed to prefer rolling 6s.

Antoher friend says that he is just wasting the good rolls ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Our university rpg club fanzine had a spoof advertisement for a dice academy where the dice would be subject to a rigorous training regimen. There may have been one or two takers...

As far as damage dice are concerned, I used to make sure to let players notorious for rolling high roll their own damage using the same dice and surfaces.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Interesting to see that the hit-location die is oversized, and that Q-Workshop, like me, had trouble fitting "Abdomen" onto a face at a readable size. 🙂

The D12 has "SR" printed on each face: are we expecting to see effects that occur on a random SR?

• Like 2

— 

13 minutes ago, trystero said:
Interesting to see that the hit-location die is oversized, and that Q-Workshop, like me, had trouble fitting "Abdomen" onto a face at a readable size. 🙂

The D12 has "SR" printed on each face: are we expecting to see effects that occur on a random SR?

the first set had a plain d12 for all the hardcore RQ1 players 😁

8 hours ago, trystero said:

More likely they're expecting it to be used as a marker.  "What SR is it now?"

The Hit Location D20 is pretty useless IMO.  Firstly it's only useful for fighting humanoids.  Secondly they've left off the missile location table.  (Yeah, yeah, I know ... RQG doesn't use the missile hit location table.  Yet another RQ3 improvement that was dumped for no good reason.  My games of RQG will have the missile locations.)

"I want to decide who lives and who dies."

Bruce Probst

Melbourne, Australia

1 hour ago, BWP said:

The Hit Location D20 is pretty useless IMO.  Firstly it's only useful for fighting humanoids.  Secondly they've left off the missile location table.  (Yeah, yeah, I know ... RQG doesn't use the missile hit location table.  Yet another RQ3 improvement that was dumped for no good reason.  My games of RQG will have the missile locations.)

Sure, it's only useful for humanoids but IMO they're probably a plurality of targets - if nothing else, they're usually the PCs.

18 hours ago, BWP said:

That was my initial thought, too, a marker like backgammon's doubling die.  But IME d12's (and d20's) are too susceptible to being jostled.  :(  So I don't think this is practical.  I'll probably just keep tracking the way I always have.

One idea I had, though, was to randomize outside/noncombat events into the SR system...

• Another party is arriving at the combat "sometime" on Round 4; on R4, the GM determine exactly WHEN can they first act...
  • The Bad Guys' ritual completes soon... Shaman says the round after next, "sometime... "
  • The "Sands of the Hourglass" trap is going to dump the PC's into the scorpion-pit in 3"ish" rounds.  When is "ish" exactly?
  • Etc.

So, not useless, but not IMHO as useful as I'd like.

18 hours ago, BWP said:

Humanoids have -- in my RQ games -- been the overwhelming majority of foes (and of PCs to be GM-targets).  So yeah, REALLY useful IMHO.

You can hardly expect a 3rd-party licensee to make a "custom" die to suit an out-of-print ruleset as part of their license for the new edition!

But in my Glorantha the missile location table was an aberration, and it is far from universally-acclaimed!  While the RQ3 rulebook is widely acknowledged to be a better reference / rulebook to its rules, not all of them are as equally-acknowledged as "better" than the RQ2 counterparts (many were, really, different without being notably better or worse; or occasionally better-in-one-context / worse-in-another-context); I think RQG actually scooped up the majority of RQ3's clear improvements.  Missile-hit-locations is not one of those rules that has, AFAIK, a notable majority of fans holding strong opinions either way (and in any case -- it's easy to HR in whichever direction you like on this, if the BRP-variant at hand doesn't use your preferred method).

C'es ne pas un .sig

5 hours ago, g33k said:

You can hardly expect a 3rd-party licensee to make a "custom" die to suit an out-of-print ruleset as part of their license for the new edition!

I never said that I was "expecting" anything.  I was commenting on how useful (or not) I thought that particular die would be on my gaming table, and I gave my reasons for it.  Surely I don't need to justify my comments to you or to anyone else?

5 hours ago, g33k said:

But in my Glorantha the missile location table was an aberration

I never said that I was talking about your Glorantha -- I explicitly stated what I would be doing in my game.

5 hours ago, g33k said:

I think RQG actually scooped up the majority of RQ3's clear improvements.

You're entitled to think that.  I think (from the discussions that I've seen here) they've rejected almost all of them.  (IMO RQ3 was a clear improvement over RQ2 in pretty much every important respect, and the tack that RQG has taken just utterly baffles me.)  It doesn't matter; there's room enough for both of us and more besides.

[My initial thoughts were that I would run RQG with a lot of house rules imported from RQ3 (and my RQ3 already had a lot of house rules of its own!).  Now I'm thinking that I'll probably run an even more customised RQ3 with a lot of stuff imported from RQG.  As long as we're all having fun, who cares, right?]

• Confused 1

"I want to decide who lives and who dies."

Bruce Probst

Melbourne, Australia