Jump to content
MOB

RuneQuest Dice from Q-Workshop

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, BWP said:

... [ ... As long as we're all having fun, who cares, right?]

You are, of course, exactly right!

😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Expansion die set has a d20 that is just Runes. I got two of them at GenCon. They are something I have wanted for many years.

Funny enough, I am a Zocchi nut. About 2/3 of my dice are some generation Zocchi dice, I've been slowly dumping off all my polished edge ones for a while now.

Lou was at GenCon this year...I had trouble tracking him down last year. His employee this year seemed to be fed up with him, it was kind of sad. I caught him later on by the water cooler out in front of the Chaosium room and chatted with him for a little bit and it was much more pleasant. I spent what little function I had Sunday with my daughter inking our new Zocchis, got her a set of glow in the dark and I got randoms that fit my color palette. She got most of the Q Workshop dice as well, I kept the two rune dice and one of the big hit location ones.

The Q Workshop ones are nice. They are a weird density plastic...seems fine but really lightweight. The hit location die is larger than my two Koplow d30s and it's much lighter. It actually rolls far less biased than my old garbage one that only gives results of RIGHT LEG and TORSO, though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tedopon said:

The Q Workshop ones are nice. They are a weird density plastic...seems fine but really lightweight. The hit location die is larger than my two Koplow d30s and it's much lighter. It actually rolls far less biased than my old garbage one that only gives results of RIGHT LEG and TORSO, though.

Thanks for the update, looking forward to be able to buy them.

Did you salt water test the balance? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dragonsnail said:

Thanks for the update, looking forward to be able to buy them.

Did you salt water test the balance? :)

You know, after I posted, I almost edited to state I hadn't done the water test.

I played in a D&D game for a few months that one of the guys had done that with all his dice and had videos on his phone. One of them that in water looked biased toward a high number never seemed to actually roll high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, tedopon said:

The Expansion die set has a d20 that is just Runes. I got two of them at GenCon. They are something I have wanted for many years.

Funny enough, I am a Zocchi nut. About 2/3 of my dice are some generation Zocchi dice, I've been slowly dumping off all my polished edge ones for a while now.

Lou was at GenCon this year...I had trouble tracking him down last year. His employee this year seemed to be fed up with him, it was kind of sad. I caught him later on by the water cooler out in front of the Chaosium room and chatted with him for a little bit and it was much more pleasant. I spent what little function I had Sunday with my daughter inking our new Zocchis, got her a set of glow in the dark and I got randoms that fit my color palette. She got most of the Q Workshop dice as well, I kept the two rune dice and one of the big hit location ones.

The Q Workshop ones are nice. They are a weird density plastic...seems fine but really lightweight. The hit location die is larger than my two Koplow d30s and it's much lighter. It actually rolls far less biased than my old garbage one that only gives results of RIGHT LEG and TORSO, though.

Did you get the white or the turquoise dice? In particular, I'm wondering how easy it is to read the turquoise ones at the table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might want to consider holding off on ordering the expansion dice. I picked up two sets at Gen Con and the hit location die does not match with the hit location table. The die has an extra left leg hit with five chances, and is missing an abdomen hit with only two.

An unfortunate mistake, but otherwise, they look great!

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Narl said:

You might want to consider holding off on ordering the expansion dice. I picked up two sets at Gen Con and the hit location die does not match with the hit location table. The die has an extra left leg hit with five chances, and is missing an abdomen hit with only two.

An unfortunate mistake, but otherwise, they look great! 

Oh, thanks for the information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Londra of Londros collector's edition!

londra.jpg.efd08a84ce46f32d1dc636caee0af630.jpg

These look like a lot of fun but for now I'm waiting to see if they'll show up on Amazon as a lot of the Q-Workshop sets do, because with shipping it's cheaper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:14 PM, g33k said:

Humanoids have -- in my RQ games -- been the overwhelming majority of foes (and of PCs to be GM-targets).  So yeah, REALLY useful IMHO.

Usually we are fighting humanoids  as well, so the location die is great. But might be cool if they added a set of monster hit location dice.  4-legged, winged (2 and 4 legged), 6-legged, 8-legged just to capture the most frequently encountered types.  Maybe they would be different colors to easily identify which monster type.  It wouldn't cover everything, but it would be a great add.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The gent to my left Saturday morning had a set, and they are lovely. Were my eyesight not deteriorating with the onset of middle age (or had if it already deteriorated to the point where I always wear glasses) I would have bought a set, but the smaller numbers combined with the busy patterns on the many-sided ones were just a little to much without my readers on.

Still, excellent work.

 

On 8/7/2018 at 5:00 PM, tedopon said:

Funny enough, I am a Zocchi nut. About 2/3 of my dice are some generation Zocchi dice, I've been slowly dumping off all my polished edge ones for a while now.

I wanted to get several Game Science d20s for HeroQuest, but they only had blisterpack polyhedral assortments at their booth. :( I ended up going with Chessex.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2018 at 6:00 PM, tedopon said:

 

Lou was at GenCon this year...I had trouble tracking him down last year. His employee this year seemed to be fed up with him, it was kind of sad.

I don't think Lou owns Gamescience anymore. Based on some of his videos it seems like someone else owns it and he works for them now. I don't know what the arrangement is, or how amicable, but the employee who seemed to be fed up with Lou might not have been his employee and it might have been the other way around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2018 at 5:44 PM, Narl said:

You might want to consider holding off on ordering the expansion dice. I picked up two sets at Gen Con and the hit location die does not match with the hit location table. The die has an extra left leg hit with five chances, and is missing an abdomen hit with only two.

An unfortunate mistake, but otherwise, they look great!

I've verified and notified Q Workshop about the glitch. 

It slipped through approvals in a very confusing email chain discussing multiple issues. 

They only printed a small number for the conventions and immediate mail order, so as soon as they make more, general distribution will have corrected dice. 

To check in the future, just count the Abdomen sides... there should be three. 

If you have the incorrect dice, a simple workaround is that any time a roll of Left Leg comes up, roll a d10 and divide by 2. If the end result is a 5, it should be treated as Abdomen

++++++++

In other news, we have discussed the possibility for non-humanoid hit location dice, but the problem of identifying which one belongs to which remains a challenge of readability, and you'd be shooting for an increasingly small number of uses, given the wide variety of hit location configurations.  

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Jason Durall said:

I've verified and notified Q Workshop about the glitch. 

It slipped through approvals in a very confusing email chain discussing multiple issues. 

They only printed a small number for the conventions and immediate mail order, so as soon as they make more, general distribution will have corrected dice. 

To check in the future, just count the Abdomen sides... there should be three. 

If you have the incorrect dice, a simple workaround is that any time a roll of Left Leg comes up, roll a d10 and divide by 2. If the end result is a 5, it should be treated as Abdomen

++++++++ 

In other news, we have discussed the possibility for non-humanoid hit location dice, but the problem of identifying which one belongs to which remains a challenge of readability, and you'd be shooting for an increasingly small number of uses, given the wide variety of hit location configurations.  

I saw they had removed them from their shop for now. Now those misprinted dice will become collector items! Or maybe not. Perhaps they can be used for Broo with one extra large leg mutation.

Will wait for them to put up the fixed set.

Edited by Dragonsnail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jason Durall said:

They only printed a small number for the conventions and immediate mail order, so as soon as they make more, general distribution will have corrected dice. 

I hope they will be willing (for those who bought the glitched dice) to replace them...?  I wasn't one, but I know I'd want that.

It doesn't sound like it should be too onerous on them:  ship a glitch-die to them and they will ship a fixed one back.  I hope they set that policy! <knock on wood>

1 hour ago, Jason Durall said:

If you have the incorrect dice, a simple workaround is that any time a roll of Left Leg comes up, roll a d10 and divide by 2. If the end result is a 5, it should be treated as Abdomen

While you are undoubtedly correct, mathematically... I don't care for the solution:  keeping the "Left Leg glitch" in mind during combat is one more issue, one i don't want to deal with.  I'd use a generic d20 and the normal lookup table.  Others' MMV.

1 hour ago, Jason Durall said:

++++++++

In other news, we have discussed the possibility for non-humanoid hit location dice, but the problem of identifying which one belongs to which remains a challenge of readability, and you'd be shooting for an increasingly small number of uses, given the wide variety of hit location configurations.  

I'd be startled to see these hit market!  As you note, an increasingly small number of uses.

For readability-by-creature, I'd probably look to color-coding, printing the dice in a wide variety of colors.

One other thought -- for the diehards -- what about a RQ3 missile hit-location die?  I bet there'd be more call for that than for any particular non-humanoid die...  

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, if they are sending wrong dices, it will be a glitch as their shop page was misleading the customer.

They should replace it or send a corrected one, that's all. As it was said before by g33k, despites the misleading, remembering the glitch and fix it on the play will be at best very unnoying.

Anyway, they look really pretty !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2018 at 11:22 AM, Atgxtg said:

I don't think Lou owns Gamescience anymore. Based on some of his videos it seems like someone else owns it and he works for them now. I don't know what the arrangement is, or how amicable, but the employee who seemed to be fed up with Lou might not have been his employee and it might have been the other way around. 

My understanding is he sold the company in 2009 and regained control in 2014.

My problem with the RQ dice is the same as the CoC dice, I can roll a d10 in any other games, but if I'm playing a BRP percentile based game, I have to have proper 20 sided 0-9 twice percentiles. It just doesn't feel right otherwise. I'd be up for the hit location die though. It'd even be good as "flavor" for other games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reasons why I will not buy the set:

2D4, 3D6, 2D8, 2D10, 1D20

 

P.S.- And I really hate hate hate *tens* dices.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kiryamo said:

Reasons why I will not buy the set:

2D4, 3D6, 2D8, 2D10, 1D20

 

P.S.- And I really hate hate hate *tens* dices.

 

Easy solution: buy 2 sets! 😝

As for me, I love tens dices. They make it easier for everyone to know if a roll is a 91 or a 19. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just received my dice today and I got the "incorrect" dice, so I guess that if you are interested in purchasing them, you'll have to wait a bit longer..

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×