Question about quarterstaves

styopa

4 hours ago, Furry Fella said:

The mechanism is modeling the interactions of 12 seconds for an outcome.

Nope. The mechanism reflected how we really fought in Westrealm in 1978, when Steve Perrin was a fighter in the West, and Paul had just started teaching the snap.

We've moved on since then.

The key is not being lost in the details.

8 hours ago, Furry Fella said:

I have to remain aware that most minor movement is subsumed within the 12 second combat round and resolution. Once viewed from outside perhaps things that could be regarded as combat mods should also encompass SR mods etc? This bit IS divergent - this is perhaps why I conceptually favour RQ2 Defense over RQ3 Dodge?

You're not wrong, and it's a powerful observation.

There seem to be contrarian streams in the RQ mechanics in that sense; for example it's silly to precisely measure number of blows, movement, facing, and stance...if the combat round encompasses a rather substantial 12 seconds.

For example, I could see an argument for drawing up rules that embrace a more nebulous positioning paradigm...that each person fighting exists in overlappable 10x10 squares, with two melee combatants vaguely sharing that space otherwise unspecified.

30 minutes ago, styopa said:

For example, I could see an argument for drawing up rules that embrace a more nebulous positioning paradigm...that each person fighting exists in overlappable 10x10 squares, with two melee combatants vaguely sharing that space otherwise unspecified.

Is there any sort of positioning paradigm in RQ2? As far as I can tell, it's mostly down to ranges for missile weapon/spell and melee distance. No sort of positioning beyond that. Two people fighting  with spears could be standing 15 feet apart, lunging in for attacks and backpedaling afterwards.Or they could be only a couple of feet apart. RQ2 doesn't specify. It's just "in melee". 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

11 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Is there any sort of positioning paradigm in RQ2? As far as I can tell, it's mostly down to ranges for missile weapon/spell and melee distance. No sort of positioning beyond that. Two people fighting  with spears could be standing 15 feet apart, lunging in for attacks and backpedaling afterwards.Or they could be only a couple of feet apart. RQ2 doesn't specify. It's just "in melee". 

Yeah, I'm thinking specifically in the context of tabletop play, with miniatures.

In the olden days back when I was playing this and that other frpg in late 70s early 80s, we never used miniatures either - we were too poor - but at least my group uses them a lot today and the teens/millennial enjoy them a lot.

14 minutes ago, styopa said:

Yeah, I'm thinking specifically in the context of tabletop play, with miniatures.

In the olden days back when I was playing this and that other frpg in late 70s early 80s, we never used miniatures either - we were too poor - but at least my group uses them a lot today and the teens/millennial enjoy them a lot.

Yeah, I get where you're coming from, but I think RQ as written, especially RQ2 just abstracts all that. I, for one, wouldn't mind some sort of reach rules, and have even adapted the ones from Usagi Yojimbo to a BRP variant (it makes for a much more mobile, less static, fight), but as far as the RAW goes, it's just abstract.

BTW< I was looking at RQ2 and spotted the optional rule of just using DEX for SR after the first round. That might be helpful if you wanted to modify things for miniatures. 

1 hour ago, Atgxtg said:

Yeah, I get where you're coming from, but I think RQ as written, especially RQ2 just abstracts all that. I, for one, wouldn't mind some sort of reach rules, and have even adapted the ones from Usagi Yojimbo to a BRP variant (it makes for a much more mobile, less static, fight), but as far as the RAW goes, it's just abstract.

BTW< I was looking at RQ2 and spotted the optional rule of just using DEX for SR after the first round. That might be helpful if you wanted to modify things for miniatures. 

I would also suggest Bushido from FGU if you have or can get a copy. They work quite well with some oddities such as the ideal engagement distances and positional attacks really forcing movement but some times in unexpected ways e.g. a fast close fighting character continually forcing the reach fighter way being a common one.

Just now, Furry Fella said:

I would also suggest Bushido from FGU if you have or can get a copy. They work quite well with some oddities such as the ideal engagement distances and positional attacks really forcing movement but some times in unexpected ways e.g. a fast close fighting character continually forcing the reach fighter way being a common one.

I have Bushido. Fond of it too. The battle system from Bushido worked very well for an old Celtic AD&D campaign I ran. 

13 minutes ago, Atgxtg said:

I have Bushido. Fond of it too. The battle system from Bushido worked very well for an old Celtic AD&D campaign I ran. 

Yes as a macro frame work it can work really very well. We enjoyed it to - even with the interminable long running bad puns

38 minutes ago, Furry Fella said:

Yes as a macro frame work it can work really very well. We enjoyed it to - even with the interminable long running bad puns

It was easy to get a head by going to war. Sorry.