RQG "1st printing" PDF?

g33k

22 minutes ago, styopa said:

And then go to the various online pdf compression sites, and change it from 90meg to 43 meg. :)

I should've done that. I accidentally uploaded it to drive while on the road and it ate most of my data for the month.

On 7/2/2018 at 12:39 PM, metcalph said:

You should learn to give page numbers and base your citations on that rather than make special pleadings.

Asking Joerg to be more nitpicky is not always such a good idea. 🙂

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

42 minutes ago, Dragonsnail said:

Why would I want to lower the quality of the PDF? It's not slow to page through, at least not on my computer.

I doubt you will notice the quality difference at all.  You will notice how much faster you can page through it.  Especially on a table device or something like a net book.

6 hours ago, styopa said:

I didn't see any immediate difference in quality.

Those services lower the quality of images in the PDF by compressing them harder. That is how they make a smaller PDF file. Personally I don't see the need to lower the size with today's huge storage capacities and fast processors. But if you are happy with the PDF, I'm fine with that - I just reacted from my personal preference.

12 hours ago, Skovari said:

I doubt you will notice the quality difference at all.  You will notice how much faster you can page through it.  Especially on a table device or something like a net book.

That is not correct unless with very old equipment. I have the original PDF on my Ipad which is an old model (3-4 years). It is very quick, no issues. Using Adobe Reader app.

Edited by Dragonsnail

40 minutes ago, Dragonsnail said:

That is not correct unless with very old equipment. I have the original PDF on my Ipad which is an old model (3-4 years). It is very quick, no issues. Using Adobe Reader app.

I haven’t bothered myself, my current iPad has plenty of storage, but back when I had a 16GB model I’d absolutely be doing that. I was constantly close to filling it up. I have a folder action on my Mac set up to shrink PDFs for me so I can do it with a drag-and-drop. Big PDFs go to the in folder, small ones appear in the out folder, but that’s mainly to make it easier to email scans of stuff nowadays.

Edited by simonh

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

3 hours ago, Dragonsnail said:

I have an iPad Pro and it is very noticeable in the speed difference here.  Did you actually try and compress and compare?

9 hours ago, Dragonsnail said:

Those services lower the quality of images in the PDF by compressing them harder. That is how they make a smaller PDF file. Personally I don't see the need to lower the size with today's huge storage capacities and fast processors. But if you are happy with the PDF, I'm fine with that - I just reacted from my personal preference.

Er, you seem to assume that all compression is lossy?

http://www.cvisiontech.com/reference/pdf-compression/lossless-pdf-compression.html

It's not.

(even if it was, there are a number of people who might want to carry the pdf on their phone and there retaining high image resolutions is sort of pointless on a 5" screen)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mankcam said:

I wonder if the RQG pdf will be bookmarked?

That would be very helpful

It’s already bookmarked (GoodReader on my iPad)

04EAD97A-AE21-43C7-A670-5D738231B7B9.thumb.jpeg.bdc209877f943acc382a03c8c9a247c4.jpeg

Edited by David Scott

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

That's weird - my copy wasn't indexed/bookmarked. I did buy it on the first day, so perhaps it wasn't fully cooked. I went back to my account at Chaosium.com and downloaded it again. This time it looks bookedmarked - excellent !!!

Thanks for alerting me to this; greatly appreciated! 

😃

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"