RQG eTools?

g33k

There was some stuff from Chaosium previously, to the effect that they planned (hoped?) to have electronic tools available with (or shortly following) the release of RQG.  Give the E-vailabity of RQG now, it looks "released" from the e-tools perspective ...  🙂

FantasyGrounds?  Roll20?

HeroLabs?  Metacreator?

Bueller?

C'es ne pas un .sig

Right now all of these are on a sideburner while we're focused on getting the three initial core products into print. 

After Gen Con, we'll be discussing these and seeing how much effort we can apply towards realizing them. 

• Like 2

Electronical tools require a lot of effort. I remember Eclipse Phase who had a character editor in a Kickstarter. It does exist, but let's just say that it probably was not worth the effort. And now it is outdated as they release Eclipse Phase 2nd Edition soon.

Hero Labs already have a Call of Cthulhu 7th edition ruleset. Should probably make RQG easier as the basics are already there. http://www.wolflair.com/index.php?context=hero_lab&page=call_of_cthulhu  But I don't know what Lone Wolf are planning, seems they are moving to a subscription based online version in the future. Maybe not for all products?

The other problem with electronic tools is that every house rule you implement makes the tool less useful to you (unless the tool is designed to be highly configurable, which I would doubt).

"I want to decide who lives and who dies."

Bruce Probst

Melbourne, Australia

3 hours ago, BWP said:

The other problem with electronic tools is that every house rule you implement makes the tool less useful to you (unless the tool is designed to be highly configurable, which I would doubt).

Not if the tool is written well.

I'd rather Chaosium do exactly as Jason said: focus on the core books now, do the online stuff later.

• Like 1

On 5 July 2018 at 12:56 AM, BWP said:

Hero Labs is very configurable (haven't used it for a while so I'm not in the loop of future development), we used it for Pathfinder with a lot of houserules, additions and stuff. I was suprisingly easy to hack when you got the basics.

7 hours ago, Hteph said:

Hero Labs is very configurable (haven't used it for a while so I'm not in the loop of future development), we used it for Pathfinder with a lot of houserules, additions and stuff. I was suprisingly easy to hack when you got the basics.

Where this gets messy is when you run it on multiple devices.  Keeping them in sync (especially my iPad and then any of the players setups) became too hard to manage.  So we stick with standard.

I wasn't the GM so I could put in the time to keep all clients updated and organised, it certainly helped that I was the only one who was interested in testing the limits of the system and doing any actual hacking of it. If there was more than one of that ilk it could have been a mess that is true.

• 2 weeks later...

For the record there is a Character Sheet for RQG on Roll20 which does have some automated functions included including the ability to roll fumbles. This has been done by a member of the community and is a work in progress but it has pretty much all the elements you need to play a Human character, and can store all of the information from the character sheet.

Roll20 is sensitive to the amount of play a system gets, and will support a game accordingly. At present all forms of RuneQuest account for less than half a percent of the games played in a Quarter, so RuneQuest is not on their radar, which seems fair to me to be honest. As Roll20 is free to use, perhaps more of the community could give it a try and raise its profile.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gryphaea said:

For the record there is a Character Sheet for RQG on Roll20 which does have some automated functions included including the ability to roll fumbles. This has been done by a member of the community and is a work in progress but it has pretty much all the elements you need to play a Human character, and can store all of the information from the character sheet.

Roll20 is sensitive to the amount of play a system gets, and will support a game accordingly. At present all forms of RuneQuest account for less than half a percent of the games played in a Quarter, so RuneQuest is not on their radar, which seems fair to me to be honest. As Roll20 is free to use, perhaps more of the community could give it a try and raise its profile.

I created an account and started fooling around a bit. Looks good.

For me the Quickstart sheet was default, so had to switch it to the full one in settings.