Dual Weapons/Multiple Actions?

Shenron

From my understanding of the rules you can attempt a second off hand action with a -20% penalty. The book specifically lists Parry but does not mention anything about second attack if you have a weapon in your off hand. 

Is this not allowed? 

That brings me to a other point, I understand the idea behind the Dual Weapon skill but the requirements seem like a skill tax as it requires three skills to be effective at it. 

Has anyone done any house rules with it? 

• Like 1

I would just rely on the text as written right at the beginning of the skill description:

"This is the ability to use two weapons at the same time without any penalty for using the off-hand. The character does not get any extra attacks in the round, but can choose which weapon he uses in any particular round. If performing an All Out Attack, a character with one of these skills can make two attacks without the normal penalty."

Edited by jagerfury
  • Like 1
The Vanishing Tower RPG Blog Read about my attempts at FTF RPG in the wilderness!

I am not sure I understand this, either. I feel like the first sentence contracdicts the middle sentence.

Unless, I interpret your post this way:

normally you could not fire both your pistols in one round, but can fire 1 now the other the next round without penalty for using the wrong hand for the second shot.

But if and only if you choose to do an all out attack, then you can fire both pistols in the same round.

So the main benefit in the first case would be, that a closing enemy, who will be on you before you reloaded, will now probably eat two bullets before he gets to you. And with the rules being as deadly as they are, you will probably put him down, if you hit.

Edited by Xorgrim
  • Like 1

Seems you understand it fine. Looks like you are both reading too much into it. Or looking for something that isn’t there? Read first sentence and than full stop. It means just what it says. Then do the same with the second. It means just what it says. Nothing more nothing less. The third sentence can get confusing if you don’t know what the normal penalty is referring to, but then again it means exactly what it says, nothing more.

• Like 3
The Vanishing Tower RPG Blog Read about my attempts at FTF RPG in the wilderness!

That makes more sense taking each line by itself. 

I also know depending on which style of dual combat you are using grants you different abilities. 

I still feel it has some serious skill tax though - not sure if that was intended. 

So, disregarding that skill a person with two weapons can parry at -20% in the same round but cannot make a second attack without using the all out attack but the penalty would be included.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2018 at 9:36 PM, Shenron said:

From my understanding of the rules you can attempt a second off hand action with a -20% penalty. The book specifically lists Parry but does not mention anything about second attack if you have a weapon in your off hand. 

Is this not allowed? 

That brings me to a other point, I understand the idea behind the Dual Weapon skill but the requirements seem like a skill tax as it requires three skills to be effective at it. 

Has anyone done any house rules with it? 

You've most likely seen by now it but just to add its worth checking out p 53 ( Renaissance deluxe) and the Special Combat Situations chapter which explains the whole thing, what you can do ref extra attacks and parries, the penalties and what you need to do to avoid those penalties if you want to build a character that way. 🙋‍♂️

• Thanks 1