Just how big is Massachusetts, anyway?

Aldaron

42 minutes ago, Jeff said:

If I recall there is a Dunkin' Donuts at the Essen Hauptbahnhof. And several in München and Hamburg. They are everywhere!

You are right (I checked):

There is one in Essen, one in Dortmund and one in Oberhausen. That is THREE in an area with about 5,5 million people in the Ruhr.

Then there are another three in Cologne and another one in Düsseldorf.

That is a whopping SIX in the biggest state of Germany (close to 18 million people). One for every 3 million.

Berlin has 12. In the rest of East and Central Germany are another 2.

"Everywhere" then seems to be defined as "not where I or most Germans live".

Or in other word: Berlin is not Germany. ;)

BTW: Sorry for all that Dunkin' Donut in Germany-talk, y'all. Ends now.

Edited by Der Rote Baron

4 hours ago, Der Rote Baron said:

BTW: Sorry for all that Dunkin' Donut in Germany-talk, y'all.

y'all? Are you from Southeast Germany?

4 hours ago, Der Rote Baron said:

Ends now.

But I'm still trying to figure out which Mythos entity is behind it all. An elder god of caffeine and horror of the empty calories. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Nyarlathotep of the Golden Arches.

I think that's a different chain, but I like their Shoggoth shakes, pity they only have them around the spring solstice.  Oh, and I just went out and did some investigating in the field. The Frozen Coffee has no SAN altering properties.

Edited by Atgxtg
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, André Roy said:

Chug-Niggurath perhaps 

I thought that Chug-Niggurath was a college deity.

How about Cyäegha? Cyäegha sleeps under the suspiciously named Dunkelhügelthe "Dark Hill" (of roasted beans?) in Germany (see, we're back in Germany again). Cyäegha's followers draw upon the deity for vitality (don't we all?) and fear awakening their god, whose wrath is said to be terrible (obviously a severe case of caffeine crash). Cyäegha manifests with a wide open eye (all that caffeine), and is also a deity of the ground, although my sources don't indicate if that's a course or  a fine ground. 

On 7/15/2018 at 2:41 PM, Aldaron said:

Actually, slightly tangential to this topic, I'm looking at starting some long-term prep for MoN (probably starting some time next year - I want to get proficient with a few one-shots first), and I'm wondering about the best way for the characters to travel from the USA to Peru. My instinct says a train to El Paso, change to a Mexican train at the border and down to Mexico City, then a bus to Acapulco, followed by a steamship to Lima. 

Am I missing something obvious with this? While there are great maps of the USA from that era, finding maps of other countries is not as easy.

So among the things I found while working on my ever growing travel guide thingamabob, Pan American Airways started flying air mail and passengers from Miami, FL to Lima, Mollendo, Talara, and Trujillo, Peru in May of 1929. So depending on the date of your game, that could be an option. A ticket to fly from Miami to Peru cost $30.

If earlier that 1929 or they don't want to fly, I found a few references to shipping companies running combo passenger -freighters and regular passenger ships to Peru from both New York City and San Francisco from at least 1916.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Toadmaster said:

So among the things I found while working on my ever growing travel guide thingamabob, Pan American Airways started flying air mail and passengers from Miami, FL to Lima, Mollendo, Talara, and Trujillo, Peru in May of 1929. So depending on the date of your game, that could be an option. A ticket to fly from Miami to Peru cost $30.

If earlier that 1929 or they don't want to fly, I found a few references to shipping companies running combo passenger -freighters and regular passenger ships to Peru from both New York City and San Francisco from at least 1916.

We'll be set in 1926, so flying is out. But I'd love to get a look at the references for shipping, if you could put up the links! :)

Thanks!

Edited by Aldaron

1 hour ago, Aldaron said:

We'll be set in 1926, so flying is out. But I'd love to get a look at the references for shipping, if you could put up the links! :)

Thanks!

It's not a lot, but I'm sure could lead to more with a little google of the ship names. Interestingly the Grace Company which owned Grace Steam Ships et al, also helped establish Peruvian Airlines and later partnered with Pan Am to start the first US to Peru air service.

https://www.cruiselinehistory.com/the-grace-line/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._R._Grace_and_Company

If you google Grace: W.R. Grace & Co., the Formative Years, 1850-1930 there is a sample of the book available and it talks about the East / West coast service. I tried to post a link but it is a bazzillion miles long.

Edited by Toadmaster
  • Thanks 1