Selkana's Saga: a new Chaosium blog series following a long-format roleplaying campaign using RQG

MOB

Selkana’s Saga is a new Chaosium blog series following a long-format roleplaying campaign using the RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha system.

Salkana’s Saga is written by Ellie and Scott Akers, a husband and wife team of professional game developers. Ellie has been creating games for girls and women for almost two decades.

https://www.chaosium.com/blogselkanas-sage-1-telling-diverse-stories-with-runequest-roleplaying-in-glorantha

1002145410_EllieandScottAkers.jpg.af99778cc28a06b3d8838e351be4ce26.jpg

• Like 7

I met Scott at Eternal Con in Germany. I actually read it through, saw the name, then looked at the photo again before the penny dropped - hang on, I know that guy!

I'm really looking forward to following the series and seeing how it turns out.

Edited by simonh
  • Like 2

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

On 7/12/2018 at 8:42 PM, simonh said:

I met Scott at Eternal Con in Germany. I actually read it through, saw the name, then looked at the photo again before the penny dropped - hang on, I know that guy!

That Scott! You're right, I didn't twig until you mentioned it.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some time ago I was discussing with Jeff about hospitality rights as they relate to Humakti. Kitha has a geas where she can eat nothing but meat. Many hospitality rights in the real world involve food, particularly bread. If Kitha can't participate in hospitality she must refuse it, which has all sorts of social implications. Jeff told me about the story of the famous King Saranthos "everyone knows his tale!" who had to accept hospitality to all and make war on anyone who might refuse it. 

I was intrigued. A Gloranthan hero I had never heard of but clearly I should have since everyone knew about him?  (I wasn't going to admit to Jeff had no clue who this famous guy was.) So I went hunting for references to him. I go through our library, can't find anything. I recruit Scott, he also looks and can't find anything. We get Jenx involved. He goes through his sources, can't find anything. We even go so far as to ask people on the Chaosium discord channel. No one has heard of this 
guy, no one can find anything about him. Finally in desperation I ask Jeff who on earth this is... and ... he had made him up. There is no King Saranthos

It become a running joke. When it was time to write up this blog entry I went looking through my notes for what I had named this king. Turns out that section had been lost. I needed to call him something so used King Saranthos as the replacement name. 

So what's the story of King Saranthos? There is none. He doesn't exists. :D 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ellie said:

So what's the story of King Saranthos? There is none. He doesn't exists. :D

Maybe he's the king of the new tribe, the Olontongi. They are just north of Whitewall.

They didn't exist before the mid-1620s, and include the remnants of the Kultain and the Sylangi, who were partially destroyed by the Lunars...

Thus a king 'out of nothing' for a tribe 'out of nothing'...

4 hours ago, Ellie said:

Thanks Jeff! The Olontongi are new to me. I will check them out. 

They revive the name and presumably the wyter of an older clan/tribe. However, they can be seen in the tribal map in RQ:G. Since the Sylangi and the Kultain both were subject to severe reprisals under Lunar rule, it's probable they found a common ancestor and made a new tribe (which would be a good story). Quite probably in c.1622-4 after the Great Winter and becoming a full tribe on Broyan's return.

Here's their earlier incarnation: http://glorantha.wikia.com/wiki/Olontongi

Hendrik the Free is the founder of the Hendriki, and was a glorified bandit and freer of slaves. The new tribe would have hunting, raiding, and gathering traditions rather than a settled capital - in fact the clan chief probably moves around the tula in a tent, and no intensive agriculture. Very different from the Esrolians. Almost certainly quarreling with the Yelmalions who are slave-holding agriculturalists who represent their ancient enemies, or those of Hendrik, anyway.

Edited by jeffjerwin

Monrogh clearly has claimed the inheritance of Palangio the Iron Vrok with the temple at Vanntar, so there is some good precedent for a hostile neighbor relationship. Slavery is a secondary concern, much like in the US Civil War.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

2 hours ago, Joerg said:

Slavery is a secondary concern, much like in the US Civil War.

Slavery was definitely the primary concern of the South in the Civil War. It's the primary reason they rebelled and was the cornerstone of their economy.

Slavery is also the cornerstone of Ergershi style agriculture, which is the chattel style of slavery that Hendrik abhors. However, as ex-Kitori, there's also the traditional fraught relationship between the Hendriki and the Darkness people. During the Trollkiller wars, the Hendriki were rebelling against Kitori rule. Now, however, they may be in a place where conflict is inevitable. Hendrik allied with his old foes, the Kitori, to ambush and temporarily kill the Iron Vrok. I foresee violence.

• Like 3