Donandar. Comments appreciated.

jeffjerwin

OK I did actually do a write-up.

Second draft even.

I had skills : Ceremony, Dance, Sing, Play Instrument, Discuss

Climb, Mummery, Juggle, Jump, Tumble as speciality skills, plus one special "act" particular to each character

No spirit magic, we're agreed there.

Also had Metcalfe's idea about swapping location with an illusion, limited by both range and eyesight

Subcults (elder siblings) Skovari (folk music - had Heal, probably wrong), Molamin (formal dance and music - Coordination), Drogarsi (epic poetry - Bladesharp)

No associated cults as such, I had Donandar as the son of Silonia goddess of dance, and Ralforisus god of music ; fourth and youngest born in the Darkness

24 minutes ago, Julian Lord said:

No associated cults as such, I had Donandar as the son of Silonia goddess of dance, and Ralforisus god of music ; fourth and youngest born in the Darkness

That is correct.  It's noted in the Donandar writeup in the Cults Compendium.

47 minutes ago, Julian Lord said:

Subcults (elder siblings) Skovari (folk music - had Heal, probably wrong), Molamin (formal dance and music - Coordination), Drogarsi (epic poetry - Bladesharp)

The Earth connection to Skovari (and his twin Skovara) is because they belong to the Earth pantheon - and Ernalda shared her Heal spirit magic with them. I suppose healing and dancing do have a connection, particularly in a shamanic sense.

• 4 months later...

BTW, I have continued to develop this campaign idea, though it's now set in 1450+.

I've come to the following conclusions:

There is an obvious connection between the EWF and the Puppeteers. But the Puppeteers survived and continued during the Inhuman Occupation, meaning that they were not 'flawed' in the sense that the Dragon Ring was.

I think the Puppeteers were originally part of the Proximate Holy Realm system. Like the priests of Orlanthland, they reject kings... Like Orlanthland, they promote harmony and nonviolence. As the Guide says: "In 600, the priests of Dragon Pass successfully executed the Gate of the Proximate Holy Realm. This initiated a long period when the priests and priestesses (and their later draconic heirs) ruled. The Orlanthi way was directed to create a society based on the Ernaldan virtues of providing. Violent men were sent to join the Brotherhood of War, who expanded the Kingdom of Orlanthland into southern Peloria at the direction of the priests."

The proximate holy realm was a gate between the Hero Plane and the mundane world. This is also a feature of Puppeteer performances. The Puppeteer territory is essentially the same as the core of Orlanthland. They gather in EWF (and earlier, Orlanthland) ruins. Compare their values, and the values of Orlanthland to the values of Sartar, who was initiated into the Puppeteer secrets...

I think Vistikos, with his 'dancing' magic, and his mysticism, was a breakaway figure from the Puppeteers, and thus the EWF could be said to be a mistaken path taken by an aberrant troupe.

The Puppeteers and the EWF have the temporary reality of on one hand the Illusions and on the other hand the dragon dream in common. Why that made them immune from the Inhuman Occupation curse isn't quite clear.

Vistikos was excommunicated in Nochet. That doesn't sound much like Puppeteer membership to me.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 minute ago, Joerg said:

The Puppeteers and the EWF have the temporary reality of on one hand the Illusions and on the other hand the dragon dream in common. Why that made them immune from the Inhuman Occupation curse isn't quite clear.

Because they weren't really there, or they were. 

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

2 hours ago, Joerg said:

Vistikos was excommunicated in Nochet. That doesn't sound much like Puppeteer membership to me.

Well, there is an enormous Donandar temple in Nochet. The methodology of the hunting and waltzing bands, of conversion through performance, seems awfully similar, but maybe, if the proximate holy realm magics are a shared secret that is the main link.

I recently bought RQ: Gods of Glorantha (advance photocopy edition).  It suggests the following...

Donandar's runes are Harmony, Mobility and Illusion

Lay members get free training in Act, Dance, Dodge, Play (instrument) and Sing

Initiates get:

Free Dex training.  

Spirit Magic: 1/2 price on Bladesharp, Coordination, Glamour, and Heal. 

Sorcery is not forbidden.

Rune Magic:  Divination, Extension, Sanctify, Harmonize, Illusory (Motion) (Sight) (Sound), and Switch Places.

Switch Places (Illusion and Harmony Runes)

2pt Ranged instant non-stackable

This spell must be cast at ab apparition created through the Illusory sight Rune Spell.  It allows the caster to trade places with the apparition, which must be visibly to the caster performing the transfer.  A common tactic is for the caster to create an apparition of themselves, allow that apparition to be revealed as an illusion (and thus of no further interest) and then cast Switch Places.

Subservient Cults: (Donandar's half brothers)

Skovari- God of lusty folk music, teaches the cheap Heal and Glamour spells

Molamin (aka Hyraos the Harper of Peloria) Provides Truetune

Truetune (Harmony Rune)

1pt Touch, temporal, non-stackable

Essentially doubles skill of anyone using the instrument the spell is cast upon.

Drogasi - (God of War Dances and Epic Poetry Orlanthi style) teaches Bladesharp and Coordination.

Associated Cults: Ernalda, Orlanth and Yelm, give Donandar nothing, because nobody ever pays musicians amirite?

• Like 3

I don't understand why he has no access to the common rune spell Heal Wounds'? He has the Harmony rune and heal/cure spell have this rune.

Traveling is dangerous, There could be stage accidents, ...

Why not all common rune magic like all cults (except Yinkin)?

And I can easily see Chalana Arroy give Donandar 'Harmony' spell to calm an angry crowd (after a bad performance? Or in order to have all the audiance attention?)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Manu said:

I don't understand why he has no access to the common rune spell Heal Wounds'?

He's a small god of a small cult.  If your entertainer is worried about such, then have them join Ernalda, Orlanth, or Yelm as an associated cult and get access to their Healing powers.

1 hour ago, jajagappa said:

He's a small god of a small cult.  If your entertainer is worried about such, then have them join Ernalda, Orlanth, or Yelm as an associated cult and get access to their Healing powers.

In fact, it would be kind of unusual to not belong to one of these as well.

It would be a little like being a Yinkin initiate without an Orlanth or Odayla initiation on the side.

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/9/2018 at 6:00 PM, jeffjerwin said:

Waterday, Illusion week, Sea Season

Fireday, Illusion week, Fire Season

Clayday, Illusion week, Earth Season

Freezeday, Illusion week, Dark season

High Holy Day: Windsday, Harmony week, Storm season

[See Cults Compendium, p.232]

The new Glorantha calendar lists

Waterday / MOVEMENT week / Sea Season

Is this an error? Waterday of Illusion week seems to better match the overall pattern.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 11/24/2018 at 9:38 AM, jajagappa said:

Requiring a PC to join Ernalda or Orlanth to get basic survival rune magic (I'd include Dismiss here too) makes Donandar a nothing cult.  If I'm forced to join Orlanth for Heal, I'm also going to take Teleport and Fly and all their cool stuff that pretty much overwhelms anything Donandar offers. For example, note that Teleport is so much simpler and better than Switch Places 95% of the time.

People will play an Orlanthi who might join Donandar for one spell: Truetune.  Barely worth writing up the cult.  No real roleplaying of a Donandar cultist - just an Orlanthi or Ernaldan who happens to play an instrument.

1 hour ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

Requiring a PC to join Ernalda or Orlanth to get basic survival rune magic (I'd include Dismiss here too) makes Donandar a nothing cult.  If I'm forced to join Orlanth for Heal, I'm also going to take Teleport and Fly and all their cool stuff that pretty much overwhelms anything Donandar offers. For example, note that Teleport is so much simpler and better than Switch Places 95% of the time.

People will play an Orlanthi who might join Donandar for one spell: Truetune.  Barely worth writing up the cult.  No real roleplaying of a Donandar cultist - just an Orlanthi or Ernaldan who happens to play an instrument.

That's if you're into powergaming.

If you're more into RP, then Donandar cultists will take the hit, and play the roll.

Also remember that Donandar cultists will have much more freedom of movement throughout the various realms, whereas the Orlanthi won't be wandering around Lunar lands openly.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Shiningbrow said:

If you're more into RP, then Donandar cultists will take the hit, and play the roll.

Why force good roleplayers to join a 2nd cult to get basic survival spells?  Why apply a harsh penalty? RQ should be encouraging them by making Donandar a reasonably compete and useful cult.

The comment about freedom of movement is a good one.  But since "join Ernalda or Orlanth" was the solution suggested to make up for Donandar's shortcomings, not going to apply.  That's more support for my position - make Donandar "good enough" that one can make up a reasonable PC from it.

8 minutes ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

Why force good roleplayers to join a 2nd cult to get basic survival spells?  Why apply a harsh penalty? RQ should be encouraging them by making Donandar a reasonably compete and useful cult.

The comment about freedom of movement is a good one.  But since "join Ernalda or Orlanth" was the solution suggested to make up for Donandar's shortcomings, not going to apply.  That's more support for my position - make Donandar "good enough" that one can make up a reasonable PC from it.

I'll agree that a couple of the "basic survival spells" should probably be more available (although, I don't know much/any of his actual lore).. but I think it's actually good that not all cults have access to everything. It allows for more RP flavour. Actual residents of Glorantha don't join cults because of the perks.. they do so because they follow a career path or calling.

Also, RQ isn't about balance. And many cults are sub-optimal for the player. So, let's not make them all cookie-cutter, with a couple of special Rune Spells for a hint of individuality. Let there be sacrifices to make, choices and decisions that have consequences.

55 minutes ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

So speaking of Donandar and Puppeteer Troupe -

What cult will teach the skill of operating puppets

How would you create and handle such a skill in-game?  looks to me as though it's a manipulation skill, but what's its base%?  Or would you use a skill that already exists on the character sheet?

I'd just use Act myself. I'd imagine it is more like shadow-puppetry and Act lets us portray different people. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

Wow how wrong can you get! Donandar provides Group Dance, Harmonise, and loads of Illusion spells, as well as Switch Places.

The comment about "basic survival rune magic" is IMO phenomenally ill-placed. Donandar provides magic associated with what he is. He's a god of Music, Dance, and Theatre. That's it. If you are a warrior, Donandar is not going to be providing you with war magic.

But if you want to put on a magical performance, he's your god. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Jeff said:

The comment about "basic survival rune magic" is IMO phenomenally ill-placed

The Donandar PC exists in a world where they may have to heal themselves or others in the party.  Or Dismiss a baleful magical effect.  Saying that they are "just for Music, Dance and Theatre" cuts them off from blending into, and contributing to, a PC party facing the dangerous world.