Jump to content
Jakob

If not Stormbringer, what then?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, RosenMcStern said:

Indeed, that would work very well for EMEA cultures in the classic age (Germans, Celts, Balts, Assyrians, Egyptians...). Standard Divine Magic could be used in this case without the need to reinvent the wheel (unless you want to roleplay the invention of the wheel, an achievement of that age).

The problem is that it would NOT work for the Far East, for Central African cultures, and for Abrahamic religions (which originated several millennia BC and became predominant in the Middle Ages). Maybe you could still use "divine points" for these, but it is arguable that the "Runes as abilities" or "<oter principles> as abilities" model would represent all cultures correctly.

You're quite right, but I think it might be enough. Just as RQG only supports gaming in and near Dragon Pass in the core rulebook, the core rules for Fantasy Earth would necessarily need to be somewhat limited in scope. Rune Magic rolling against your planetary/divine affinity would work just fine. I like the idea of alchemy in the core rules as well.

I'd really like to see a better name than Fantasy Earth though.

Edited by simonh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2018 at 8:57 AM, simonh said:

... I'dreally like to see a better name than Fantasy Earth though.

Worlds of Wonder?

Edited by g33k
mis-cut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The trouble with 'Fantasy Earth' is that it's generic to the point that it could be any era or place on Earth (almost to the point you may as well call it Basic Role Playing......). 

Is it a series of games from different eras and places, eg Mythic Iceland, with a shared brand? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TrippyHippy said:

The trouble with 'Fantasy Earth' is that it's generic to the point that it could be any era or place on Earth (almost to the point you may as well call it Basic Role Playing......).  

But how would you name it ? I can't imagine using another name than Earth. Even if none if the people of that age would use it, it's much more appropriate than Midgard or Sol 3, for instance.

RuneQuest Earth ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Mugen said:

But how would you name it ? I can't imagine using another name than Earth. Even if none if the people of that age would use it, it's much more appropriate than Midgard or Sol 3, for instance.

RuneQuest Earth ?

 

I'd start a series of titles based on specific regional eras and call each of them "Mythic.....oh, wait...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TrippyHippy said:

I'd start a series of titles based on specific regional eras and call each of them "Mythic.....oh, wait...

Well Jason just said a few posts ago that there's going to be a single core book so that's not an option. I don't see any way around the "fantasy Earth" name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2018 at 5:02 PM, Jason Durall said:

No Runes. 

The bodily humors would be the obvious alternative. 

Still unsure if the answer was meant to be usefull or humorous. Of course runes won't be used but is there a plan to replace it with a similar mechanic? I would vote for personality traits myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, DreadDomain said:

Still unsure if the answer was meant to be usefull or humorous. Of course runes won't be used but is there a plan to replace it with a similar mechanic? I would vote for personality traits myself.

I was being dead serious. Did you read the linked page? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Jason Durall said:

I was being dead serious. Did you read the linked page? 

Yes, that's why I was wondering. I could see both the seriousness or the humour of it. Thanks for clarifying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2018 at 5:10 PM, g33k said:

re: RQ/FantasyEarth...

I just wanted to clarify... is this planned as a single volume (presumably titled "Fantasy Earth")?  Or as a series of interlocking / mutually-playable (but each also fully standalone) individual RPGs (of which, presumably, Mythic Iceland would be the first iteration)?  Or something else/undecided/etc ... ?

From what Jeff said at Eternalcon, it seems as though there will be a series of supplements, that can link together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2018 at 10:17 PM, Jason Durall said:

... Mr. Spivey under contract to do an original sci-fi setting ... 

 

ah-HAAA!!!   <pounces in the manner of ardent fans from time immemorial>

"An original setting."  So not a licensed IP.

More info than we had previously!  At least, that I had seen.  I recall a distinct implication thereof, but nothing definitive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Psychics, cowboys, parallel worlds, beast men... I've wanted to make this myself, with the BGB. I wonder if anyone has ever approached King about an RPG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Hexelis said:

Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Psychics, cowboys, parallel worlds, beast men... I've wanted to make this myself, with the BGB. I wonder if anyone has ever approached King about an RPG.

Hrm...  could-shoulda-woulda...  Dark Tower movie would have been the time to push this!

 

Still, wikipedia suggests that (even though it didn't Go Big at the box office and kinda got critic-slammed), they are thinking about both a movie-sequel and a TV series... maybe...

So maybe (given the "underperforming" Box) there could be some not-too-expensive RPG rights, that might roll out en suite with the next media...?

Lots of maybe there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hexelis said:

Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Psychics, cowboys, parallel worlds, beast men... I've wanted to make this myself, with the BGB. I wonder if anyone has ever approached King about an RPG.

Someone made a very minimal BRP hack for it. There's a few problems but it could probably run without much trouble: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What we need is a setting where happy-go-lucky teenagers dance, party, cook out and chase their ideal guy or gal on the beach, always looking for the perfect spot to catch the ultimate wave:  DuneQuest!

Can Chloe Grace Moretz channel Annette Fuicello?  Thisvis a BRP game, after all.

Edited by seneschal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, seneschal said:

What we need is a setting where happy-go-lucky teenagers dance, party, cook out and chase their ideal guy or gal on the beach, always looking for the perfect spot to catch the ultimate wave:  DuneQuest!

We have at least one cult for that setting already: Indlas Somer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2018 at 11:17 PM, Atgxtg said:

I've read that a lot of people got burned by Palladium over thier latest (and last) Robotech Kickstarter. So yeah, there is risk involved.

Oh, it was more than burned, it was a con the entire way for Kevin S to steal as much of the money as he could to float his books.  I'm shocked as much got released as it did and then...to "make it up to us" he offered to give us leftovers....IF we paid for the shipping that we had already paid for.  The man is scum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2018 at 5:38 AM, seneschal said:

If Moorcock's works were a 1970s thing, we also have Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series and Terry Brooks' Shanarra series from the same era.  Not necessarily a fan of either but the latter did get made into a recent TV show.

i dunno, I tied reading The Wounded Land.  So depressing it would make Elric seem cheerful.  How did Covenant remain popular for nine novels?

+11!  I think it was about the third book when I realized: "This is so darned stupid!"  Hmmm, I wonder if that kind of book set the tune for the angsty special snowflake types, maybe that is why?  Of course, I have no idea since as I said, I abandoned the entire thing in the third book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Algesan said:

Oh, it was more than burned, it was a con the entire way for Kevin S to steal as much of the money as he could to float his books.  I'm shocked as much got released as it did and then...to "make it up to us" he offered to give us leftovers....IF we paid for the shipping that we had already paid for.  The man is scum.

That's pretty much what I've read. I didn't want to state it outright, because I wasn't involved and all my information is, at best, second hand. But, to (hopelfully) reinfroce the point I was going for two months ago, yes there is risk with Kickstarter.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2018 at 7:32 AM, rust said:

My favourite settings from the 1970s fantasy literature would be Pern (Anne McCaffrey) and Gwynedd (Deryni series, Katherine Kurtz). A long time ago I ran a Pern campaign with the RQ rules, it worked surprisingly well.

Several of us tried to do a Deryni campaign a few decades ago.  Never could quite get it to work out well.  It might be interesting to revisit, but maybe in a couple of years, I'd have to reread the series.  The politics would be doable and the gifts should be also.  BRB or Hero should be able to carry it.

Heh, nobody bothered with Pern.  "Hey what's up this week?"

"Oh, it is another darn threadfall session!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2018 at 7:32 AM, rust said:

My favourite settings from the 1970s fantasy literature would be Pern (Anne McCaffrey) and Gwynedd (Deryni series, Katherine Kurtz). A long time ago I ran a Pern campaign with the RQ rules, it worked surprisingly well.

Several of us tried to do a Deryni campaign a few decades ago.  Never could quite get it to work out well.  It might be interesting to revisit, but maybe in a couple of years, I'd have to reread the series.  The politics would be doable and the gifts should be also.  BRB or Hero should be able to carry it.

Heh, nobody bothered with Pern.  "Hey what's up this week?"

"Oh, it is another darn threadfall session!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Algesan said:

+11!  I think it was about the third book when I realized: "This is so darned stupid!"  Hmmm, I wonder if that kind of book set the tune for the angsty special snowflake types, maybe that is why?  Of course, I have no idea since as I said, I abandoned the entire thing in the third book.

At the risk up adding halogen bulbs to the target I've long ago painted on my back, I got a similar thought about the Horseclans series. So many of my friends loved the Horseclans books, but all I came away from them with was that Milo Morai was a  p%#^&. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Atgxtg said:

At the risk up adding halogen bulbs to the target I've long ago painted on my back, I got a similar thought about the Horseclans series. So many of my friends loved the Horseclans books, but all I came away from them with was that Milo Morai was a  p%#^&. 

Actually, you have me on that one.  My friends all bragged on Horseclans, but I never got around to starting it.  I will say that I've read some shorts and a novella out of the series that was fairly cool and I loved the first few Castaways in Time, but I didn't finish it.  Not that I disliked it, but I could see it was heading down "a book too far" street and I was dealing with other things at the time they were being published.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to see something set in the world of Gemmel's Drenai saga. It'd be kind of hard to pick a timeframe to settle on though. Waylander was far and away my favorite character, so I'd prefer that era, which is of course before even Druss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×