If not Stormbringer, what then?

Jakob

19 hours ago, seneschal said:

It’s fun reminiscing about a favorite show but for our purposes here I guess the question is, is there enough going on in the world of Collinsport apart from the Barnabas saga to support an enjoyable RPG?  What would PCs be doing while the Collinses and their retainers went about their various shenanigans?  Is the Dark Shadows universe big and varied enough to let players do their own thing?

I believe the answer is yes there is, but would the players want to? I'm not sure if gamers would want to get into the whole "who's sleeping with who" aspects of a soap opera, or any of the other tropes of that genre. And even if they did we'd probably have to modify the Game mechanics to better fit that sort of gaming. Passions, personality traits, directed traits and all that would take center stage.  Then there are the competitive aspects. Unlike a typical RPG, characters is soap operas usually don't act cooperatively, but tend to stab each other in the back over things. That would also spill over into the "rewards and experience" aspect of RPGs. Raising sword or pistol skill isn't as important for this sort of genre as would be succeeding in getting the character one in enamored with, or getting revenge, or thwarting a rival. So it would require a pretty serious overall. And, again, I'm not sure if that would appeal to most gamers. There probably is a market for a Harlequin Romance RPG too, but the people would would enjoy that sort of RPG probably aren't the sort of people who play RPGs. 

IMO, the way to make something like a Dark Shadow RPG work  would be to have a Barnaba-type of story arc (it is what keep the show from getting the axe), or three, combined with some sort of detective/investigator type of game. Something like CoC or Gumshoe, that the players could relate to, and that could provide goals and things to do that could be rewarding. In other words, the Scooby-Doo approach. 

One obstacle though, is that there are other RPGs out there that are better suited to that sort of game that RQ. The whole World of Darkness line is pretty much what we are going for, only WoD added "monster politics" to things so as to accommodate multiple monsters in the game. Likweise  the Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG, like the series, kinda does the Scooby-Doo with a PC monster bit. The Slayer is basically a good supernatural creature, and the series did refer to Buffy's companions as "The Scoobys".  And then there is Chasoium's own Call of Cthulhu, which probably would work great as far as the whole setting goes. Toss in the Ctuhlhu Mythos, with the PCs (even the monstrous ones) working against evil Cultists any Mythos beings bent of destroying/taking over the world (basically what the producers were trying to do with the disastrous Leviathan story), and I think you got a decent RPG possibility. 

So before doing a Dark Shadows RPG we'd have to figure out if we'd want to do it for RQ and why. A supplement for CoC would probably make more sense.  

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

It kinds feels like we're solidly onto Unisystem here:  Witchcraft, with some add-ons from Buffy & Angel &  Ghosts of Albion. (or one of the others as core; likely a Classic core rather than Cinematic because Cinematic runs so action-centric).  It's closer to this genre than anything BRP that I've ever played or heard of.

But even more so, one of the Forge lineage of games, with R-maps and such as a core focus ...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

54 minutes ago, Chaot said:

How did you not include Army of Darkness in this list of Unisystem rpgs?

I omitted many more than I included; I think those specific ones give a closer match to the genre-conventions folks had been discussing, than does any variety of BRP.  Snead's AtVW comes closest (that I know of), but isn't as on-target as Unisystem is.  Or even -- ghods save us -- Storyteller.

C'es ne pas un .sig

15 minutes ago, Chaot said:

It's just that I am not interested in any system that does not let me attach a chainsaw to my handless arm. ;D

Leverage & rigidity, dude.  You need to loose at least a goodly chunk of your forearm, too.  But then I think you're good to go.

Remember to gas up... embarrassing to stall the motor with a half-horde of shambling dead still to dismember...

But I don't think you're in Collinsport any more, Toto!

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 9/16/2018 at 12:59 PM, Chaot said:

Gas is an issue, but I’ve got my double barrel shot gun in my left hand. Shop smart, S-Mart.

Finally a use for those cordless electric chainsaws, better stealth, no starter rope so quicker to get into action and quick reloads (battery change). 

Edited by Toadmaster

On 9/16/2018 at 12:59 PM, Chaot said:

Gas is an issue, but I’ve got my double barrel shot gun in my left hand. Shop smart, S-Mart.

Behind the times, old man.

Get yourself a Taurus Judge or an S&W Governor, and a pouch full of speedloaders.

C'es ne pas un .sig

5 hours ago, Toadmaster said:

Finally a use for those cordless electric chainsaws, better stealth, no starter rope so quicker to get into action and quick reloads (battery change). 

Trust me, if you want cutting power that doesn't require extra chain blade sharpening to even hope to come close, you go with gasoline!

My little gasoline pole chainsaw trivially out cuts the full size electric my wife uses and we won't talk about what it does to the little electric pole chainsaw.  Of course, they are all useful and the right tool for the job depending (of course!) on the job, so I have a use for all of them (as well as the full size gas powered one ;) ), but if the job is mounting on the arm to butcher the undead, go with gas!

35 minutes ago, g33k said:

Behind the times, old man.

Get yourself a Taurus Judge or an S&W Governor, and a pouch full of speedloaders.

Handguns are what you carry when you don't think you need a firearm.  So, I like the shotgun idea myself.

The Judge is nice enough, but too few pellets unless you buy the specialty .410 shells that cut the powder (since it is a pistol, not a shotgun) to fit in another pellet or three (depending on which size shot you pick).  Of course, $.80+ per shot isn't so hot when you can get something like .357 Mag for less than $.30 a round.  

My favorite was the way it evades the sawed off shotgun laws.  You see, it is "designed" to fire a slug round and the barrel is rifled...so since, this classes the weapon as something other than a shotgun and the sawed off laws don't apply..... 

2 hours ago, Algesan said:

Handguns are what you carry when you don't think you need a firearm.

Or when you need to discharge your firearm 1-handed ...

because your other hand is a chainsaw...  🤡

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

Something else to consider, is just what settings are affordable? I'm sure a lot (probably most) of the setting discussed might cost too much to be cost effective unless or until they can be done on a wide enough scale, and for a large enough fanbase,  to make them profitable for whoever does so. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.