Google Sheets Macros

PhilHibbs

This thread is for discussion of macros for Google Sheets character sheets, split off from my RuneQuest character creation thread.

On 7/10/2018 at 11:31 PM, koletudo said:

Hi PhilHibbs

Great great job with this character spreadsheet. I'm from Spain and i would like to translate your spreadsheet. I have troubles with the CharGen macro because i can´t change the skills categories names. How can i fix it?

Thanks

Currently it's hard-coded to expect Agility to be the first category, so you would need to change line 44:

44  var vRangeName = "Agility"

44 needs to change to the Spanish for the first category, which I am assuming is still Agility (Agilidad?)

As far as I can tell, that is the only change necessary in the code. All other changes would be in the sheets themselves, the code picks them up from there.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

You will additionally need to change the category names in four places:

CharGen column AB
CharGen column AP at the top of each category
CharGen column AR next to each skill

CharSheet at the top of each of the skill category lists
CharSheet at the top of each combat skill section
CharSheet at the top of Sorcery spells

• Like 1

An easy way to remove the hard-coded category name "Agility" from the code would be this:

44    var vSkillCatRange = vSpread.getRangeByName("SkillsAgility");
45    var vRangeName = vSkillCatRange.getCell(1, 1).getValue();

This still requires Agility to be the first category, but removes any I18N elements from the code (as long as you are ok with leaving the named ranges in English). This change will be in any future versions of my sheet, but that will be a while away I think.

• Like 1

Ok, my new version with built in translation is ready for the Spanish translations to be filled in and tested. I've added some translations using Google so I could test my code, please check them!

Translations are all in the "I18N Translations" tab. They are a bit jumbled up at the moment. Click the big button at the top to run it, and wait a few minutes! You can look around at the tabs and watch things break and get fixed as the translations happen.

When I get more translations, I might need to make some adjustments to deal with multiple languages. Most likely I will just add extra columns and say "paste your language into Column B".

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pVKE2JA_npMRxBdBWYabgAb0ZSF6f0RC7_GJ5jV7D9U/edit?usp=sharing

Please share your version with me when you have finished so I can copy the translations, then anyone can translate future versions into Spanish from my master.

Edited by PhilHibbs

9 hours ago, koletudo said:

I try at least. I'm working in the translation right now

Great, feel free to send me regular updates with your progress so I can test my code and make sure it is compatible with what you are doing. It would be unfortunate if you did all the work and sent it to me and we found a big problem at the end!

Edited by PhilHibbs

15 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Great, feel free to send me regular updates with your progress so I can test my code and make sure it is compatible with what you are doing. It would be unfortunate if you did all the work and sent it to me and we found a big problem at the end!

There is a lot of information to translate. But, here are my updates. It's not complete but almost. I'll try to complete during the next week

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V7lwieEfCnZE9ZNaY7ur4VEmhUyJmVptrfnFimZhEFo/edit#gid=1542966584

• Like 1

21 hours ago, koletudo said:

There is a lot of information to translate. But, here are my updates. It's not complete but almost. I'll try to complete during the next week

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V7lwieEfCnZE9ZNaY7ur4VEmhUyJmVptrfnFimZhEFo/edit#gid=1542966584

You need to share it, I have requested access. You can either create a public link that just gives read only access to anyone that has the link, like I do for mine, or you can share it with specific individuals and give them edit permission. I won't be back online until tomorrow evening to look at it.

Edited by PhilHibbs

47 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

You need to share it, I have requested access. You can either create a public link that just gives read only access to anyone that has the link, like I do for mine, or you can share it with specific individuals and give them edit permission. I won't be back online until tomorrow evening to look at it.

Try this link

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V7lwieEfCnZE9ZNaY7ur4VEmhUyJmVptrfnFimZhEFo/edit?usp=sharing

• Thanks 1

That's great, thanks.

So, it looks like the buttons to fill in Culture, Cult, and Occupation are broken after translation. This is because it uses the category name in the skills list to locate a named range, and the named ranges are in English e.g. SkillsAgility. What I will do is introduce a name look up, such as Agility => SkillsAgility, so when the translate runs this will become Agilidad => SkillsAgility and the code will use this lookup.

What you are doing is great, keep it coming!

Some of the translations are a little long, it's amazing how long it takes to write "Left Leg" in Spanish! They do not fit into the boxes! Also some of the skill names are a little longer so there are too many spaces inserted into the parentheses. What I could do is include an additional column in the translation that specifies how many spaces to put inside the parentheses after a base skill. So Customs has 22 spaces, but Costrumbre should only have 20, so it could specify 20 in a column and the code could amend the number of spaces so that it looks good. Maybe it could be part of the translation, so if it said Costrumbre(20) then the translation could pick out the 20 and use it to amend the spaces.

Finished translation!!!!

I have problems to translate "Pap Priestesses" (line 308) . The literally translation is "Sacerdotisas Teta (Tit Priestesses)". Other meanings for Pap in Spanish are Enchufe (plug), Pico (peak) or Tontería (foolinesh) so I need the context to make the proper translation.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eBSsNdMDr11Ptx8MLCL-a871prCHCLHyKVoK3J0KaE8/edit?usp=sharing

• Haha 1

It is an old and obscure word for nipple / breast / udders, I suspect chosen so as not to be obvious. English and Americans are largely coy (embarrassed) about such things and a game with obvious references to tits (particularly in the 1970s, and aimed at teenagers) would draw outrage. So if there's an old, obscure word for tits in Spanish, use that. Did any of the RQ Praxian material ever get a Spanish translation?

The other option is just to keep "Pap", unless that is a Spanish word that doesn't fit.

If you look at the map of Prax, there's a range of hills on the east side that look like an animal lying on its side. There is Horn Gate at the head, and The Paps is by the hindquarters where the udders are.

Edited by PhilHibbs

On 7/23/2018 at 5:54 PM, PhilHibbs said:

If you look at the map of Prax, there's a range of hills on the east side that look like an animal lying on its side. There is Horn Gate at the head, and The Paps is by the hindquarters where the udders are.

Ok. I have a friend who is an expert of glorantha. Maybe he can help me with the translation. With this context, the proper translation is "sacerdotisa ubre" (udder priestesses)

There's one thing that I have given up on: ordering skills alphabetically. I can't figure out how to get the tick boxes to move with the skills when they are reordered. I might have another go some time, but I'm concentrating on race support at the moment.

Oh, and I am changing the translation for "Move" to "Movi." since having both "Move" and "Movement" translate to the same Spanish word was messing up the translate-back-again functionality.

Edited by PhilHibbs

I have made a few amendments to the Spanish translation, as I don't want two phrases to have the same translation since that messes up translating back again. Let me know if you can think of better translations that don't clash. I have also added a filtered Count column to the Spanish translation, to easily show if there are duplicates.

Thrown Dagger -> Daga Lanzada
Curr -> Actu.
Cat -> Cat.

Edited by PhilHibbs

On 7/28/2018 at 1:20 PM, PhilHibbs said:

I have made a few amendments to the Spanish translation, as I don't want two phrases to have the same translation since that messes up translating back again. Let me know if you can think of better translations that don't clash. I have also added a filtered Count column to the Spanish translation, to easily show if there are duplicates.

Thrown Dagger -> Daga Lanzada
Curr -> Actu.
Cat -> Cat.

Literally, Thrown Dagger is "Daga arrojadiza o Daga arrojada". On these days, i don't have all the free time that i would like to have. But i'm going to copy your last spreadsheet and take a look, ok?

By the way, great great work

• Like 1