Just finished running my first scenario

Aldaron

Well, first ever proper scenario finished last night! (We did a "playtest" of The Haunting about a year ago, with just two players, but it was really just a concept game).

This was "The Darkness Under the Hill" (from Doors to Darkness), with 6 players. Went off swimmingly! By sheer luck, all six characters survived, though they didn't take out the BBEG (he escaped - and he's pretty annoyed). They achieved most of their goals, and nobody went permanently insane. All players reported they felt completely creeped out during the session, with one of them saying she slept with the light on the night after we finished - so I feel I did my job as Keeper somewhat correctly! :) 

It will be a while before our group is all together again, but next up is "The Sanatorium", from Mansions of Madness, which I'm really looking forward to. 

Thanks for the hints and suggestions of late - they've been a big help! 

Congrats!  I think it fitting that the BBEG escaped.  That scenario is a good setup for a recurring villain in a campaign.  I think the Serpent people are an interesting CoC antagonist because sometimes things are even scarier when closer to home.  CoC has a lot of crazy cosmic stuff, but what about the history of Earth itself?  What if humans thinking they are in control is a joke strictly from historical fact that another civilization ruled Earth a few million years before humans?  The Hyperborea connection is another example.

The BBEG escaped during my campaign as well! A lone investigator and Josh decided to check out the tunnels on their own and were promptly taken captive by the ghouls. They ended up in the cell, Josh curled up in a ball unconscious while the investigator was questioned/tortured by the BBEG. The other investigators were able to rescue them, but I did have the BBEG send a letter written in Aklo to the investigator he questioned. It basically said he forgot how delectable young skin tastes, she has rekindled his desire to see the world again to expand his diet! He also promised to see her again, I plan to run Two Headed Serpent so I figured I could work him in somehow.

I wanted to have the BBEG cast Accursed Eye on Josh, but I want it to last longer than a week. I’m debating on making a deeper version that lasts longer. This way he could keeps tabs on the investigator. The investigator in question has a guilt complex, she thinks anyone she cares about gets killed and it’s her fault.

What do you think? Is Accursed Eye my best bet or is there another spell or item that would work better?

I haven't used Accursed Eye, myself. 

My group came damned close to killing the BBEG, to be honest - but there were six of them, and one of the first things they did when they realised things were amiss was to head back and bring the police in to help search the tunnels. Three police died (thanks to the ghasts), and the sergeant and another constable were terribly wounded (thanks to the degenerates) - I'm fairly certain Providence Police in 1925 wore red uniforms *sigh*. 

As it was, one of the characters was hit with a Wrack spell and failed his POW roll, so he spent the entire fight screaming on the ground. However, he'd managed to get a surprise shotgun blast off at the BBEG, which came close to killing him. He didn't even stay to fight - just bolted through the gate and fled.into the nearby forest. He'll definitely be returning, a little more skilled and with a few more spells. 

Josh (who is the cousin of one of my group) is going to head to the North Island Sanatorium, which will be a reason for them to visit for the next scenario. Poor Josh...he just really can't win...:) 

Edited by Aldaron

Have you read Genuis Loci yet? The scenario is based on getting a friend out of an asylum. Josh wasn’t the one rescued but it was a good scenario. The NPC they busted out ended up as a meal for the shoggoth in Escape from Innsmouth, then he helped two of the investigators discover the Dreamlands a few months later.

This is my first time running CoC but it’s been a lot of fun so far.

One of my current campaign sub-arcs will be for the Serpent Sorceror in Darkness be connected to the Serpent People on Transatlantic Terror and also connected to the Serpent people in Hand of Abyzhou from Shadows over Scotland.

On 7/12/2018 at 10:32 AM, Aldaron said:

Well, first ever proper scenario finished last night! (We did a "playtest" of The Haunting about a year ago, with just two players, but it was really just a concept game).

Congratulations - May your GMing Journey be a long and enjoyable one.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here