RuneQuest Combat actual play coming up on Encounter Roleplay

MOB

DiALtcCUwAARrvy.jpg.20cf7abfd707842d59dfdd4dd389f3d2.jpg

To celebrate the launch of the RUNEQUEST GLORANTHA BESTIARY on July 20th, our friends at Encounter Roleplay are going into deadly RuneQuest combat with Chaosium's Jason Durall this Monday, 16th July at 8pm EST.

They'll also be giving away 5 copies of the Bestiary PDF during the show, and launching another competition for a hardback copy!

Follow the action here: https://www.twitch.tv/encounterroleplay

• Like 1

What a great job, expertly steered by Jason Durall. Its great seeing people playing RQ for the first time, experiencing the drama of RQ combat. Every hit & parry counts, & could be the last. Dramatic stuff...and of course woven into an atmospheric story deep in the heart of Prax. A great showcase.

Edited by Paid a bod yn dwp

It was a great watch for sure!  Jason did some hand waving and was off the rules occasionally, but all done in the name of maximum game fun and story.  It rolled along quite well.  Saw a few criticals, a few fumbles, and an impale to the head.  What else could you want?

Nits, prepare for a fine picking! I'm watching it and will update this post as things occur.

Sorry if this comes over negative or critical, I appreciate it was 2 in the morning, but I would like to get some feedback on whether these were mistakes, liberal MGF interpretation, or my misunderstanding.

1. There is no Animal Handling skill, which is why none of them found it! Did you mean Animal Lore? Herd?
  2. Runic Inspiration - Vasana (I think) rolls Truth to augment Scan, and fails - rather than imposing a -20 to further uses of the rune, you impose a -10 to the Scan skill (the rules on p229 do not specify a penalty to the skill being augmented - are you using a different form of augment?).
  3. Harmast's impale with a javelin should have rolled damage twice, rather than maximum rollable damage plus a roll.
  4. Command Cult Spirit is 2 points, so Yanioth can only summon a Medium and control it. That is what she in fact does, but I think she and Jason both said it's a 1-point spell.
  5. How come Yanioth's roll of 94 to cast her Command spell is a success? Did she try a second time and succeed? I might have missed that.
  6. Vasana's Demoralize should have gone on SR4 not SR5, as she has DEX SR 3, and a 2-point spell takes 1 SR.
  7. Mr. EncounterRP has clearly hacked the dice rolling application.
  8. "Hit him in the dick"? I thought this was a family-friendly channel!
  9. You let Harmast declare parries against the second attacker after knowing that the hit was successful, which is quite generous. I think you got back to being more strict later.
  10. Ok maybe Mr EncounterRP isn't cheating after all... fumbled parry, lol!
  11. I can't find this rule that says that a critical does maximum weapon damage plus a roll. All it says on p206 is that critical hits ignore armour, on top of the special result.
  12. I thought that Scorpion Man legs used to be non-vital locations, you could smash half of them to bits with them hardly noticing.
  13. Harmast's Jump should be DEX*3 + Agility modifier, not just DEX*3.

So that's about it, a few queries there that I'd be interested to know about. I appreciate as a GM myself that keeping a game flowing is more important than getting every rule call entirely accurate. I think this list is useful, though, as it lets people know what the trickier bits are that are easy to get wrong so that they can watch out for them.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Harmast's impale with a javelin should have rolled damage twice, rather than maximum rollable damage plus a roll.

I can't find this rule that says that a critical does maximum weapon damage plus a roll. All it says on p206 is that critical hits ignore armour, on top of the special result.

RQG p.203 for impales:  "If the impale is also a critical hit, then the maximum possible impaling damage (14 points in the case of the short spear) is done to the victim, to which is added any damage bonus and any extra damage from spells."

RQG p.204 for slashing:  "If the slash is also a critical hit, then the maximum possible damage (18 points in the case of the broadsword) is done to the victim in that hit location."

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

RQG p.203 for impales:  "If the impale is also a critical hit, then the maximum possible impaling damage (14 points in the case of the short spear) is done to the victim, to which is added any damage bonus and any extra damage from spells."

Ah ok, I see. So my point should have been:

11. Critical impale damage should be double maximum, not maximum plus an additional roll.

Interesting that the section on crushing damage does not have that critical clause. Not that I can see anyway. Maybe it's somewhere else.

Edited by PhilHibbs

41 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Interesting that the section on crushing damage does not have that critical clause. Not that I can see anyway. Maybe it's somewhere else.

No, I don't see anything additional there.  It simply adds the maximum damage bonus from the special, and then gets the usual ignore armor for the critical.

5 hours ago, Yelm's Light said:

Some (read: a lot) of the Augments were pretty stretchy.  I don't think the players truly got the concept.

I think that's going to be a recurrent theme between different GMs campaigns.  There's *huge* room for interpretation.

Some GMs are going to allow whatever you can rationalize as an augment to varying degrees of silliness.

Some GMs are going to rule them extremely narrowly to the point of almost uselessness.

Is it a big deal?  Meh, I don't think a lot of people campaign-group hop that much so if the group is playing the way they want to, it works.

Is it me, or does Jason look a little more Charles Bronson in that cover image than he did running the game? :D

To be fair, the game didn't start until 2 am his time.

5 hours ago, styopa said:

I think that's going to be a recurrent theme between different GMs campaigns.  There's *huge* room for interpretation.

Some GMs are going to allow whatever you can rationalize as an augment to varying degrees of silliness.

Some GMs are going to rule them extremely narrowly to the point of almost uselessness.

Is it a big deal?  Meh, I don't think a lot of people campaign-group hop that much so if the group is playing the way they want to, it works.

I get that he didn't want to get too much into the weeds in an intro that's marketing the game itself, but I think it gives the wrong impression to new players/GM's.

Edited by Yelm's Light

10 hours ago, jajagappa said:

No, I don't see anything additional there.  It simply adds the maximum damage bonus from the special, and then gets the usual ignore armor for the critical.

The side box on page 203 Says:

“ A critical success inflicts the maximum possible special damage type and ignores any amor.”

This seems to apply to all types of damage.

It seems a little inconsistent that this wasn’t mentioned in the specific section on crushing damage as it is with impales and slashing.

So am I right in saying that critical Crushing damage does:

• Max weapon damage + max dam bonus +  max dam bonus 

11 minutes ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

The side box on page 203 Says:

“ A critical success inflicts the maximum possible special damage type and ignores any amor.”

This seems to apply to all types of damage.

It seems a little inconsistent that this wasn’t mentioned in the specific section on crushing damage as it is with impales and slashing.

So am I right in saying that critical Crushing damage does:

• Max weapon damage + max dam bonus +  max dam bonus 

Thanks for pointing that out.

I'd be surprised if it deals double max damage bonus, as the bonus traditionally has never been doubled for criticals.

Page 203

If the impale is also a critical hit, then the maximum possible impaling damage (14 points in the case of the short spear) is done to the victim, to which is added any damage bonus and any extra damage from spells.

I think that's fairly clear, double max weapon damage plus a rolled damage modifier.

Logically, a Critical Crush would be max weapon damage plus two rolled damage modifiers.

The example on Page 206 is clearly wrong:

the broo automatically critically
hits with its short spear, an impaling weapon. The damage is
normally 1D6+1+1D4. The damage roll is doubled for an
impaling attack, and the damage modified added. In this case,
the roll is an exceptionally good one, with rolls of 6 (1D6+1),
5 (1D6+1), and 4 (1D4).

A critical hit with a short spear should cause 7+7+1D4.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1