RuneQuest Combat actual play coming up on Encounter Roleplay

MOB

36 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Logically, a Critical Crush would be max weapon damage plus two rolled damage modifiers.

I can see the logic of that train of thought - I wondered that at first too, then realised the mention of adding the damage modifier as normal was specific to the section on Impales. It doesn’t seem like a general blanket rule for all types of damage.

Seems unfair on crush weapons if their criticals didn’t do full possible damage like Impales and slashing. 

Edit: I may need a coffee to properly think this through!

So a Critical with a crush weapon does 

• max weapon damage + max dam bonus + dam bonus rolled as normal?
Edited by Paid a bod yn dwp

15 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Runic Inspiration - Vasana (I think) rolls Truth to augment Scan, and fails - rather than imposing a -20 to further uses of the rune, you impose a -10 to the Scan skill (the rules on p229 do not specify a penalty to the skill being augmented - are you using a different form of augment?).

my take on a failed augment is this (keep in mind that Runic inspiration is limited to once per session/scene/GM's remembrance, so even on a fail you can't re-roll a Rune) : -20 on any rolls using that Rune = ALL skills influenced by that Rune are effected. As Truth has no influence on skills it would only impact on Rune Spells, but for example Fire/Sky has governance over Scan (Perception).  Had she failed a Fire/Sky Runic augment, then until she can take time out she would be -20 to all Perception based skills. 

2 minutes ago, Psullie said:

... for example Fire/Sky has governance over Scan (Perception). Had she failed a Fire/Sky Runic augment, then until she can take time out she would be -20 to all Perception based skills. 

And all INT rolls, plus Scan, Spear, Bow, or bird-based skills.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Thanks for pointing that out.

I'd be surprised if it deals double max damage bonus, as the bonus traditionally has never been doubled for criticals.

I think that's fairly clear, double max weapon damage plus a rolled damage modifier.

Logically, a Critical Crush would be max weapon damage plus two rolled damage modifiers.

Not quite, as it's written p206: "A critical hit ignores the effects of armor or any other protection, and does impaling, slashing, or crushing damage (depending on weapon type), as described above." so a maul doing critical damage, swung by someone with a +1D4 bonus damage, would deal 2D8+1D4+4 point of damage (crushing damage) ignoring armor (critical effect).

55 minutes ago, jps said:

so a maul doing critical damage, swung by someone with a +1D4 bonus damage, would deal 2D8+1D4+4 point of damage (crushing damage) ignoring armor (critical effect).

Special crush damage does as you have said ( with full damage modifier + rolled damage modifier. However critical is maxium possible special damage and ignores armour.

I’m unsure if the rolled damage modifier is also maxed with a critical crush?

On 7/18/2018 at 9:07 PM, PhilHibbs said:

Nits, prepare for a fine picking! I'm watching it and will update this post as things occur.

Sorry if this comes over negative or critical, I appreciate it was 2 in the morning, but I would like to get some feedback on whether these were mistakes, liberal MGF interpretation, or my misunderstanding.

1. There is no Animal Handling skill, which is why none of them found it! Did you mean Animal Lore? Herd?
  2. Runic Inspiration - Vasana (I think) rolls Truth to augment Scan, and fails - rather than imposing a -20 to further uses of the rune, you impose a -10 to the Scan skill (the rules on p229 do not specify a penalty to the skill being augmented - are you using a different form of augment?).
  3. Harmast's impale with a javelin should have rolled damage twice, rather than maximum rollable damage plus a roll.
  4. Command Cult Spirit is 2 points, so Yanioth can only summon a Medium and control it. That is what she in fact does, but I think she and Jason both said it's a 1-point spell.
  5. How come Yanioth's roll of 94 to cast her Command spell is a success? Did she try a second time and succeed? I might have missed that.
  6. Vasana's Demoralize should have gone on SR4 not SR5, as she has DEX SR 3, and a 2-point spell takes 1 SR.
  7. Mr. EncounterRP has clearly hacked the dice rolling application.
  8. "Hit him in the dick"? I thought this was a family-friendly channel!
  9. You let Harmast declare parries against the second attacker after knowing that the hit was successful, which is quite generous. I think you got back to being more strict later.
  10. Ok maybe Mr EncounterRP isn't cheating after all... fumbled parry, lol!
  11. I can't find this rule that says that a critical does maximum weapon damage plus a roll. All it says on p206 is that critical hits ignore armour, on top of the special result.
  12. I thought that Scorpion Man legs used to be non-vital locations, you could smash half of them to bits with them hardly noticing.
  13. Harmast's Jump should be DEX*3 + Agility modifier, not just DEX*3.

So that's about it, a few queries there that I'd be interested to know about. I appreciate as a GM myself that keeping a game flowing is more important than getting every rule call entirely accurate. I think this list is useful, though, as it lets people know what the trickier bits are that are easy to get wrong so that they can watch out for them.

A great many of the issues I faced were due to simple fatigue. I'm a light sleeper at the best of times, and the night before the session I had a particularly short sleep due to environmental factors (noisy neighbors). So I'll readily admit I was not in my most careful form, and I was sort of waffling back and forth between using the core rulebook and the abbreviated quickstart rules. The introduction of a new player with zero familiarity with the setting and the system made me take an extremely relaxed view of the rules, as the primary goal was to spotlight some Gloranthan monsters for the Bestiary launch. 

When Jeff and I do an official "combat demo" video it will be as adherent to the rules as possible.

That said, here are some answers to your questions/comments: 

1. I meant "Herd". I'd been working on a bunch of stuff for the Conan line earlier in the day, and that system has Animal Handling as the skill. 

2. That was a glitch on my part. 

3. Ditto.

4. Same. 

5. She had augmented, IIRC, and was using her Earth Rune affinity. 

6. Oops. 

7. I wondered... 

8. No comment. 

9. Yeah, it was an "Oh crap!" moment. 

10. Yeah... it was a pretty wild set of rolls, to be certain. 

11. The special result was the max + roll in that instance, and the crit aspect of it ignored armor. 

12. For traditional arthropods, the "non-vital" rule for limbs is still in effect. I see that it was in RQ3 but for some reason didn't make its way into RQG. I looked in the rules at the time of the roll and decided that they were more "man" than "scorpion" for the purpose of the demo. (To be honest, too... it was about 4:30am and I was eager to wrap it up.)

13. See parenthetical comment above. 

Edited by Jason Durall
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 7/19/2018 at 1:17 AM, Yelm's Light said:

Some (read: a lot) of the Augments were pretty stretchy.  I don't think the players truly got the concept.

I decided that I'd err on the side of the players having fun vs. strict adherence to the concept. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2018 at 12:02 PM, PhilHibbs said:

The example on Page 206 is clearly wrong:

A critical hit with a short spear should cause 7+7+1D4.

I've corrected it in the core book InDesign files. Future printings and .pdf updates will have the corrected example. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jason Durall said:

I decided that I'd err on the side of the players having fun vs. strict adherence to the concept. 

Honestly, that's how you SHOULD be playing the examples.    It's good to keep reminding people that these are rules, not laws, and MGF is paramount.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot Jason for taking the time to reply in such detail! Great session, and I think it's a good thing that we see an early example of generous, loose GMing that concentrates on keeping the game running over getting every little minute detail correct.

• Like 1

I think designers have trouble keeping track of game rules at times because they go through multiple iterations of the rules as they are designed and playtested, things keep changing, and it is hard to keep track of where it all landed. I've seen Chris Perkins get D&D 5th rules wrong during broadcasts and I expect it is for this reason.

Jason, thanks for doing the video!

• Like 1

129/420

10 hours ago, Narl said:

I think designers have trouble keeping track of game rules at times because they go through multiple iterations of the rules as they are designed and playtested, things keep changing, and it is hard to keep track of where it all landed. I've seen Chris Perkins get D&D 5th rules wrong during broadcasts and I expect it is for this reason.

Jason, thanks for doing the video!

Honestly, it's only in our Monday-morning quarterbacking that people care.  If the people at the table walk away saying "that was a blast", nobody gives a crap that rule X wasn't applied exactly how the book said it should be.

On 7/30/2018 at 2:40 PM, styopa said:

Honestly, it's only in our Monday-morning quarterbacking that people care.  If the people at the table walk away saying "that was a blast", nobody gives a crap that rule X wasn't applied exactly how the book said it should be.

Yes, in a way.

But, people do listen to real play examples from games designers to see how the rules work and how they are applied. Some people haven't played using multiple previous versions and don't have the same comfort levels, so don't realise that they can just pick and choose from rules over a nearly 40 year period. Instead, they want to see how the rules work and look to these podcasts as good examples. If they differ from the rules, it can be very confusing for new players.

A transcript of the session, with notes on where/how the rules used diverge from those in the rulebook, would be very useful for new players.

• Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here