Headlights, roads and road maps in the 1920s

Toadmaster

10 hours ago, Ursus Maior said:

What will your geographical focus be on? Northern America or other parts of the world as well?

What I've got so far is primarily the USA with some occasional mention of elsewhere, mostly as it would relate to getting to or leaving the USA. It is more descriptive of the general state of things similar to what is in my first post, so some of it could be applied to travel anywhere with some fudge factor.

I've tried to focus on highlighting major points of change, air travel for example changed rapidly. In 10 years airlines went from something resembling Alaskan bush planes to something not far removed from the modern airline system we have today (speed of travel excepted).        

I've looked at the CoC core book (3rd, 5th, 6th) and the 1920s Investigator's Companion to avoid treading over the same ground. Where there is overlap I'm going into more detail.

Edited by Toadmaster
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For people interested in the 1919 cross country trip, Eisenhower was a part of it and there's some materials here.

https://www.eisenhower.archives.gov/research/online_documents/1919_convoy.html

Article:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/1919-ike-took-hellish-road-trip-across-us-180956284/

• Thanks 1

" There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand. " G'kar

Some carbide lamps were actually extremely bright, they generated a very intense pure white light.

My grandpa had an old carriage carbide lamp, it was as bright as any modern automobile light. An automobile would have no problem traveling 30mph down a good road at night using a carbide lamp.

• 1 month later...
On 8/9/2018 at 12:11 AM, EricW said:

Some carbide lamps were actually extremely bright, they generated a very intense pure white light.

My grandpa had an old carriage carbide lamp, it was as bright as any modern automobile light. An automobile would have no problem traveling 30mph down a good road at night using a carbide lamp.

True, they could be quite bright. I think I mentioned up thread that there were some high end carbide lights whose advertising claimed better performance that that required for modern headlights. The other issue besides light intensity was beam type, most used a focused spot type beam, rather than a wide flood beam, so you could see straight in front of you fairly well, but little off to either side. Not so great for spotting that Dark Young waiting in the ditch. 👾  

Still plunking away, but work and a lovely vacation to the land of vikings has put this on hold temporarily. I am however looking forward to getting back to it, and will post it when complete.

Edited by Toadmaster
  • Like 2