Dying Earth Setting in the Works!

jagerfury

55 minutes ago, Nick J. said:

I did have one question about your conversion doc: You mention classes like Barbarian, Assassin, etc. How does that work?

So far restricting racial identity, cultural choice and occupation. 

It will also inform magic available as some “classes” do not have access to magic even with a POW of 16+

• Like 2
The Vanishing Tower RPG Blog Read about my attempts at FTF RPG in the wilderness!

On 7/15/2018 at 5:43 PM, Nick J. said:

Very interesting. I'm doing a similar thing, adapting Dolmenwood for Magic World.

Very cool! I recently played a Dolmenwood one-shot using LOTFP, but if I should ever get to set up longer campaign (which I definitely intend to - it is one of my favourite fantasy settings, period), I'll probably go with something non-D&D as well. Magic World might be a good fit.

Jakob, it is incredibly easy to customize Magic World to the exact type of fantasy setting you want to portray. I'm also on board with LotFP being a perfect fit, system wise, for Dolmenwood. The Grindhouse Edition gets Dwarves, Elves and Halflings "right" for that campaign world's feel.

With Rom'Myer I want to blend in some OSR sensibilities to enforce player character types, but I much prefer how BRP/Magic World handles combat and character improvement. Getting magic "right" though is tough for me. The Magic Book hasn't been much help so I think I will go with bare bone sorcery mechanics from Magic World and customize(house rule) the shit out of each PC's school of magic. 

• Like 1
The Vanishing Tower RPG Blog Read about my attempts at FTF RPG in the wilderness!

Magic has without a doubt been the most difficult thing to get right, but after hacking away at things I think I settled on a few beats that should (hopefully) work well. In short this is what I have in mind:

• Fey, and demi-fey will have exclusive access to Fey Magic from Advanced Sorcery
  • A modified and somewhat codified version of Deep Magic is the province of the Drune
  • Dwarfs don't feature prominently in the zines, but I decided to put in my own version who are more in the vein of Rumpelstiltskin, or dwarfs from Grimm's fairy-tales (7 dwarves, et al.) They are the exclusive users of Rune Magic.
  • The Church of the One True God don't have magic, but they can call on divine intervention. I stole the mechanics from Stormbringer 4th edition; the character can call upon their patron saint and they make an Allegiance check, if it fails they lose half of their Light points, otherwise if the roll succeeds, they lose Light Points equal to the die roll. The divine intervention is not limitless, but should be fairly spectacular ("sinful" invocations fail automatically).
  • True Deep Mages are wild talents, and are viewed with a lot of suspicion and are frequently the target of Drune kidnapping raids
  • Witchcraft uses the BRP Witchcraft supplement.
  • Good ol' tried and true sorcery works just like it says on the tin, but is strictly the province of a master-apprentice relationship (so you need the sorcerer or sorcerer's apprentice occupation to use such magic). 

The real fun I had was making up my own versions of Elves (which are basically changelings), grimalkin, and some of the other Dolmenwood denizens like goatmen and I even pulled in firearms from Renaissance and modified them to fit with Magic World a little better.

Anyway, I'm not really sure this is ready for primetime, but if anybody wants to take a look, it might be marginally interesting? It still needs a Magic World version of Woodgrues, and Moss Dwarfs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hersmtj6dbvt91g/Player Rules %26 Gazetteer(final).pdf?dl=0

Edited by Nick J.
  • Like 3

I like the Dolmenwood setting, I was planning to run it with the OSR rules "The Heroes journey". But while reading it the setting just screamed Magic world to me.

I don't think I'll run it exactly the same way it's presented in the books, but I'll take A lot of inspiration from it.

Miles

• Like 3