Sign in to follow this  
Bohemond

Odayla in the Underworld

On 8/2/2018 at 7:00 PM, soltakss said:

We simply played that swimming in the Styx would kill you, unless you had very, very strong powers of Darkness or Death. 

Hmm. Since you are already in the Underworld when you come up to the Styx, you have already died. You might play that card to receive some immunity.

On the other hand, the Styx is likely to have similar purifying powers as Daliath's Well of Wisdom (the two may be adjoined).

If you take the Greek mythology back to Glorantha, the bath won't destroy your body, but dissolve your identity - memories, passions, ...

23 hours ago, Joerg said:

If you take the Greek mythology back to Glorantha, the bath won't destroy your body, but dissolve your identity - memories, passions, ...

That was the river Lethe, another one of the five rivers of the Underworld.

9 hours ago, Yelm's Light said:

That was the river Lethe, another one of the five rivers of the Underworld.

And in fact, it was by dipping Achilles in the Styx, with the exception of the heel his mother was holding, that he became nigh invulnerable...

The Styx is definitely lawful in Greek myth. The Gloranthan Styx is more elemental darkness/water than law.

• Like 1

And you're not already dead when you come to the river Styx.  You're dead on the other side, as the Styx is the border between the land of the living and the land of the dead.  I could see the Gloranthan Styx wiping your passions away from you as you swam across.  But I'm pretty sure some publication has it drain your power, I may be wrong about that.

If it drained your passions, however, that would be so fitting from a dragonewt perspective as they don't cross the Styx, they get reborn in their egg so they have to go through that entire process of erasing their own passions to evolve.  I like that.

Edited by Pentallion

7 minutes ago, Pentallion said:

And you're not already dead when you come to the river Styx.  You're dead on the other side, as the Styx is the border between the land of the living and the land of the dead.

I thought the Gates of Dusk, going down Magasta's Pool past Last Stop Island or a couple of other such passages mark that border.

The Styx permeates the Underworld, but doesn't really form the border to the Surface World.

Maybe I'm wrong, that's what I always thought.  Seems like too much work to research it on a fine sunny day however :)

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

I thought the Gates of Dusk, going down Magasta's Pool past Last Stop Island or a couple of other such passages mark that border.

The Styx permeates the Underworld, but doesn't really form the border to the Surface World.

The Gates of Dusk are the entrance into the Underworld.

Styz is the entrance into Hell.

In Glorantha, the Underworld and Hell are different, or, rather, Hell is part if the Underworld, but not all the Underworld is Hell.

The Lightbringers  - regardless which batch - are reckoned dead as soon as they pass the Gates of Dusk. The path down to the Hall of Judgement may be just a pre-Hell, but as soon as you've passed Sinjota and Kaldar, you're dead, wouldn't boom if someone put four thousand volts through you, you're bleeding demised, you're not pining and you_re passed on, you are no more, you have ceased to be, you've expired and gone to meet your maker,  you''re a stiff, if you hadn't gone down those stairs you'd be pushing up daisies, your metabolic processes are now history...

Edited by Joerg
found a transcript
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2018 at 12:07 AM, Joerg said:

The Lightbringers  - regardless which batch - are reckoned dead as soon as they pass the Gates of Dusk. The path down to the Hall of Judgement may be just a pre-Hell, but as soon as you've passed Sinjota and Kaldar, you're dead, wouldn't boom if someone put four thousand volts through you, you're bleeding demised, you're not pining and you_re passed on, you are no more, you have ceased to be, you've expired and gone to meet your maker,  you''re a stiff, if you hadn't gone down those stairs you'd be pushing up daisies, your metabolic processes are now history...

But you can get better again!

You can go through the entire destruction and reconstruction of the universe, and emerge at a New Dawn with a chosen resurrectee. The universe you emerge to is different from the one you left, as undertaking this quest will alter reality.