Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kolati

Cult skills

Recommended Posts

In the RQG corebook, in page 73, in cult starting skills you can read "Each cult has starting skills taught to his members. Add the listed skill bonuses to these skills. Add an additional +20% to one of these starting skills and + 15% to another...", but in the Vasana's saga (the sample character), I don't see this bonus and I think that you can get a +40 to one skill via cult is too much increase. what do you think? You take this bonus in the character generation? thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kolati said:

In the RQG corebook, in page 73, in cult starting skills you can read "Each cult has starting skills taught to his members. Add the listed skill bonuses to these skills. Add an additional +20% to one of these starting skills and + 15% to another...", but in the Vasana's saga (the sample character), I don't see this bonus and I think that you can get a +40 to one skill via cult is too much increase. what do you think? You take this bonus in the character generation? thank you.

Well spotted! It looks like I did add in these extras when creating some test characters, but you are right that Vasana definitely didn't get them. I imagine Vasana was created under an older iteration of the rules and didn't get them retro-fitted when the new bonus choices were added.

I think it's ok, and working as designed, without this +20 it would be hard to get a skill up to 100%. Maybe some people would prefer that only a few exceptional characters can reach that target, but if you make it too hard then some people will stretch to achieve it and end up with identical characters every time.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what allows you to advance to rune level a bit faster than others. Plus, there are cults whose cult skills aren't part of the listed occupations, so this is a way to get them up to a decent starting value.

Getting one cult skill at plus 40% basically shows the mutual dedication of the individual to the cult and vice versa. The cult is interested in having capable members to further the cult's agenda, and the cult member benefits from this teaching.

In Vasana's case, it looks like "Sing" received the extra plus 20%. The other 15% I cannot allocate, neither Orate nor Speak Other Language (Stormspeech) appear to have it. She does have the extra 10% on broadsword granted by the subcult. Her Meditate 5% appears to lack the skill category bonus, and I don't get how she arrived at Worship (Orlanth) 25% if the rules as described were applied.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Joerg said:

In Vasana's case, it looks like "Sing" received the extra plus 20%.

Nope, she has a final skill of 50%, which is exactly 10 each from 5 different sources: base, category, culture, occupation, and cult.

36 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Her Meditate 5% appears to lack the skill category bonus, and I don't get how she arrived at Worship (Orlanth) 25% if the rules as described were applied.

You must be looking at the interim Page 79 section, which does not yet include category modifiers. They are figured in on Page 80: "After allocating Vasana’s personal skill points and adding her skills category modifiers, Vasana’s skills are:"

Here's my version of Vasana in an older version of my character generation sheet.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...