Does the Shiphandling skill count as Navigation?

jagerfury

Boathandling and Shiphandling skills explicitly come into play when the water craft needs to be handled in rough going. Lore skills make the point of explicitly stating the skill is knowledge and doesn't reflect ability in the subject. What skill does a Renaissance character use to get a sailing vessel to the New World and back?

• Like 1
The Vanishing Tower RPG Blog Read about my attempts at FTF RPG in the wilderness!

I rather like the crew rules in Pirates and Dragons.  They recognize the necessity of the crew working together under a captain's leadership to achieve a challenging goal like travelling to the New World and back and follow the Renaissance rule system.   For an extended sea voyage, you might want to consider them.  Bon voyage!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Butters said:

Isn't Shiphandling enough?

To me it is, but I find it odd the description of the skill doesn't say anything about Navigating across the sea. It is what I will be using. And per the Boating rules, only require the Captain to make a roll when adverse conditions exist.

• Like 1
The Vanishing Tower RPG Blog Read about my attempts at FTF RPG in the wilderness!

9 hours ago, Butters said:

Isn't Shiphandling enough?

I would think so, mainly because the Sailor profession and the NPC Sailor/Pirate example as well as the optional rules for ships do not mention any other ship related skill. Besides, introducing an additional skill for navigation would seem like skill creep to me, and therefore against the spirit of the comparatively rules-light Renaissance game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)