RQG Glorantha Bestiary Corrections Thread

MOB

Brought over the unofficial thread started earlier. We appreciate everyone's enthusiasm to help with tribal editing but for admin purposes we need the responses to be in a thread started by a moderator. 

___

Page 13

To start the ball rolling

Troll height page 73 (and SIZ page 75). Unless the Guide is no longer canon the males should be an average 10cm taller and their SIZ should be 3D6+8. Females should be 10cm taller too.

This will keep the male SIZ as used in RQ3, their height consistent with both old and more recent depictions of trolls, it also will be consistent with the RQ:G size chart, and it won't rubish the GtG. 

Also Kyger Litor page 80 also has the Spirit Rune in the GtG. Seems she doesn't have three Runes whilst the tusker rider god does 

___

Map key says "Ducks (Darulz)", should be Durulz

___

The duck distribution map only shows them in DP, not the Holy Country or southern Maniria.  The GtG has respective pops of 10K, 20K, and an unspecified small number.

___

Page 28, Baboon characteristics: DEX is listed as 3D6+6 but the average is listed as 13.

Page 57, Dwarf armor. "The dwarf has a 70% [chance] of being unaffected by any spell cast at them." The word 'chance' is missing.

___

Description of True Dragons on p117, "The best-known Kralorelan True Dragons are:"   - Should there be spacing used to separate out the text from the section above on the Four true dragons of DragonPass? 

When you read/scan "The four True Dragons of Dragon Pass are", it looks as though there are many more then four types mentioned. Closer inspection reveals the division, but spacing would help.

Edited by MOB
  • Thanks 1

• MOB featured and pinned this topic

p.13 "Bullstitches" should be "Bullsitches"

p.104 The pictured scorpionman has 8 legs, but the hit locations chart on p.105 only lists 6 legs.  Perhaps add note that both 6 and 8 legged varieties occur.

p.186 "Thunder Broather" should be "Thunder Brother"

Edited by jajagappa

P. 94 — the description of the spell Crack is vague and confusing. It doesn’t even state what the spell is supposed to do.

p. 122 “An exceedingly rare creature” should perhaps be “Exceedingly rare creatures”

p. 123 “eviscerated” should perhaps be “removed”?

“... mask carved with spells” IS “placed on the head...”

Edited by filkertom
Added info

p.14

The old RuneQuest modules Borderlands and River of Cradels gave me the impression, that there live Newtlings along the Zola Fel.

The Guide to Glorantha, p.440: Rogue bachelors of the newtling race live in the Praxian river valleys.

This is not reflected in the Newtlings Distribution Map.

So is the population at the Zola Fel too small to be shown in the Newtlings Distribution Map, or is this an error in the map?

31 minutes ago, Oracle said:

p.14

The old RuneQuest modules Borderlands and River of Cradels gave me the impression, that there live Newtlings along the Zola Fel.

The Guide to Glorantha, p.440: Rogue bachelors of the newtling race live in the Praxian river valleys.

This is not reflected in the Newtlings Distribution Map.

So is the population at the Zola Fel too small to be shown in the Newtlings Distribution Map, or is this an error in the map?

I think I've found the answer: the Newtlings Distribution Map does only show the distribution of  young (tadpoles) and adult Newtlings. This does exclude Bachelors (which contrary to my initial impression are not adult Newtlings), but this is the type of Newtlings, which you can find along the Zola Fel ...

So you can ignore this entry. It's not a mistake.

Edited by Oracle

P45 Giants, “Giants often use great clubs or
even tree trunks in battle, with the ability to sweep and hit many opponents at once.”

The text mentions sweep attack, but there’s no explanation on how to referee this in the book. Not sure if it’s the same in RQG, but RQ3 had a spot rule on this type of attack. 

Edited by Paid a bod yn dwp

p.8
Religion: This section briefly outlines the species’ religion, where appropriate. Included are short cult write-ups for Aldrya (the major elf deity), Cacodemon (the main ogre deity), Cult of the Bloody Tusk (the deity of the Tusk Riders), Kyger Litor (the major troll deity), Mallia (a goddess of disease worshiped by broo), and Zorak Zoran (a troll war god).

"Fiends of Cacodemon" data exists in Terrors chapter(p.195), but there is no Cacodemon Cult write-up.

• Thanks 1

p.82 in the Create Zombie spell - "This spell creates a revenant (see page 123) out of a newly slain victim."  Think this should read:  "This spell creates a zombie (see page 128) out of a newly-slain victim"

(If it just creates a revenant, then no need for a different spell since ZZ also has a Create Revenant spell)

• Thanks 1

In the Monsters sections (that seems to be mostly ordered alphabetically) True Dragons is located between Dinosaurs and Gargoyles. True Dragons seems to be sorted as if the entry previously had been named "Dragons". There's at least two possible fixes for this

1. Since the True Dragons entry also contains Dream Dragons restore Dragons as the name of the entry. This would imply also removing True Dragons from the Alphabetical Listing and adding Dragons to the same.
  2. Move the "True Dragons" entry to its correct location after Sky Bulls

I would personally recommend #1 since it makes it much easier to locate the "Dragons" entry in the book

Edited by PorkLip
  • Thanks 1

A few things about the Crimson Bat (and I do realize that a lot of this entry is from earlier write-ups, but I seriously think they should be revisited):

1. 90-meter wingspan, 20 meters nose to tail, 1K metric tons... size 180? That’s like saying a football field is only as big as one of the teams.

2. I just want to make sure— the magic/spirit absorption effect of the Glowspot means no one not a Priest or Rune Lord of the Bat has any spirit magic within 4-20 km of the Bat? (And how is that range determined?) All random spirits in the area are absorbed? That can alter a campaign instantly, conflicting with encounters for hundreds of miles in every direction.

I am beginning to think that even your stern warnings might not be enough. Given how much the Bat can completely screw up the magic over the entire region, maybe its approach should be treated as a historic event, on a par with the eruptions of Pompeii and Karakatoa, not merely a hazardous one. As wrtten, a visit from the Bat is like the drop of a neutron bomb. Depending on how long the Bat stcks around or how often it returns, the very ecology in an area could change, and whole cities — even Lunar-friendly ones — could have their commerce and magic disrupted for years, or permanently.

(I had the Bat in one campaign, once, and I had the Glowspot as about a mile radius below it. I also decided that spirit magic, rather than being negated, cost double POW to cast, and a special failure meant the POW was absorbed. (A critical failure meant that all the caster’s POW was absorbed, and they fell unconscious.) This was basically so players didn’t feel absolutely helpless in the face of the Bat. They couldn’t hope to fight it, but they could still fight its entourage.)

3. Even given the size of the Bat, I think the ticks it carries are too large and too numerous. Rather than thousands of SIZ 1D4 ticks, hundreds of SIZ 1 (maybe the size of a man’s hand) seems like plenty to me. (I’d also reduce their bite damage to 1D4 or 1D6.)

4. Given that its effect is the same as the Demoralize spell, is there any way to resist the effects of Chaos Scream?

5. Can the Eye Spit be dodged or parried? Can any armor or creature’s hide block it, even partially?

6. The chart for the Bat’s attacks says “see below” for the effects of Eye Spit and Chaos Scream, which are listed two pages earlier. Perhaps that chart was originally closer to the beginning of the description...?

Sorry if I’m getting too philosophical and/or pedantic. I just want to help make this the best it can be!

• Thanks 1