RQG Glorantha Bestiary Corrections Thread

MOB

3 hours ago, Garry said:

So with spirit magic now dependent on CHA, has this been considered with low CHA creatures such as Tusk Riders.  Previous iterations of Tusk Riders have never been made to be Spirit Magic poor.

Good point, whilst Tusk Riders should have low APP, CHA is quite different (I'm proud of the "more than mere appearance" phrase in the rules, that's one of my contributions). They should not have such a low CHA in my opinion, a terrifying and intimidating appearance can be very useful for skills such as Intimidate. I think this one has slipped past the review that the changes to the game should entail. At the very least, the Cult of the Bloody Tusk would need to state that CHA requirement for Rune Lord status does not apply...

Edited by PhilHibbs

Actually, that raises a good question. Can an Uzdo (Great Troll) become a Death Lord of Zorak Zoran? Their species max CHA is 14. It specifically states that Karrg's Sons need a CHA of 18, but this is technically redundant since that is a basic requirement, and should only be stated if it is different to the default. Suggestion, remove that from Karrg's Sons and add a note to Death Lord stating that CHA is not required.

Likewise a Trollkin can never become a Rune Lord of anything.

Edited by PhilHibbs

Page 50

Should Men-and-a-half get any of the basic Praxian culture skills like Survival +10%, Speak (Tradetalk) +10%, and Speak Own Language (Praxian)? They all get Spirit Combat +20% as well. If Prax is a highly spiritually active place, and they are a largely shamanic people, they should probably get it as well.

For my character creation spreadsheet tool I will add an Agimori culture that gives all these.

2 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Page 50

Should Men-and-a-half get any of the basic Praxian culture skills like Survival +10%, Speak (Tradetalk) +10%, and Speak Own Language (Praxian)? They all get Spirit Combat +20% as well. If Prax is a highly spiritually active place, and they are a largely shamanic people, they should probably get it as well.

For my character creation spreadsheet tool I will add an Agimori culture that gives all these.

Assuming that they live on the Plains, I'd allow all of those.  Nothing particularly controversial that I can see there.

1 hour ago, Romain said:

p.121 Maths. Great Sea Turtle (Sofali Turtle). Damage Bonus

"Bite 2D6+2D6" the Damage Bonus should be +4D6

Bite doesn't usually get full damage bonus. Vishi Dunn's High Llama, for instance, has no bonus to its bite attack. I can't find any rule for it though. If it were me, I'd say that bite gets damage bonus based on STR only, so the llama would get 1D6. Huan To seem to get half damage bonus (2D3 vs 2D6).

p.129 Maths. Wyvern Characteristics

"CHA 2D6 Avg. 13" It should be either 2D6+6 or Avg. 7 (I surmise it's more likely to be an average of 7)

19 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Bite doesn't usually get full damage bonus. Vishi Dunn's High Llama, for instance, has no bonus to its bite attack. I can't find any rule for it though. If it were me, I'd say that bite gets damage bonus based on STR only, so the llama would get 1D6. Huan To seem to get half damage bonus (2D3 vs 2D6).

If that is so, then it's the Giant Snapping Turtle that's incorrect.

Looking at the Wyvern right now and it has its full Damage Bonus for its bite. The question remains.

p.132 Giant Centipedes. Hit Location

All the Location for Legs are marked "5/5 each" meaning each time you hit that location it's another leg with those characteristics, as per the flavor text "Giant centipedes have dozens of legs, and it is unlikely that an attacker will be able to hit the same leg twice". At least that's how i undersand it. If this is true, it's therefore weird to have that same "each" for Hit Locations such as "Midbody" or "Head".

25 minutes ago, filkertom said:

the average of 4D6 is indeed 14

We've had gamers at our group who didn't understand this, so for reference:

Total of the sides divided by the number of sides is the average.

The sides on a D6 totalled 1+2+3+4+5+6 = 21 divided by the number of sides,  6 = 3.5

3.5 x 4 = 14

(don't get caught out by d3s 🙂)

Edited by David Scott

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

30 minutes ago, filkertom said:

Um. Romain, the average of 4D6 is indeed 14, so 14+18=32 is correct, not 30.

Yes, but on my version of the bestiary it's 4D6+16 with an average of 32, hence my correction.

Edited by Romain