RQG Glorantha Bestiary Corrections Thread

MOB

On 7/31/2018 at 11:01 AM, PhilHibbs said:

A lot of the bite attacks do get full damage bonus though.

I think there may be per-creature variation, without a general rule that applies to all.

Snapping turtles are infamous for having a much more dangerous bite than other turtles their size; I haven't researched it, but strongly suspect they have a jaw-structure & muscles that produce an outside DmgBonus vs many other critters their size.

Llamas, on the other hand, are generic grazers, and I wouldn't expect them to have a DmgBonus comparable to when they charge...

C'es ne pas un .sig

p.158-159 Maths. Saber-toothed Tiger Damage Bonus.

"+2D6". Should be +3D6. (STR+SIZ = 32+26=58 -> 3D6)

p.159 Maths. Shadowcats Hit Points.

"Hit Points: 11". Should be 12. Initial CON of 13, SIZ of 4 gives a -2, POW of 19 gives a +1.

p.160 Maths. Diamondback Rattlesnake Hit Points.

"Hit Points: 10". Should be 11. Initial CON of 11, SIZ of 5 gives a -1, POW of 17 gives a +1.

p.160 Maths. Esrolian Python Hit Points & Damage Bonus & Base SR.

"Hit Points: 14". Should be 15. Initial CON of 13, SIZ of 14 gives a +1, POW of 17 gives a +1.

The Python "should have" a Damage Bonus of +1D6. But I guess it's been removed on purpose?

"Base SR: 3". SIZ 14 and DEX 13 both give +2 for a SR of 4. But I'm not sure if that's how it works for creatures (?).

A pattern seems to emerge with HP. Yet the Creature Hit Points section on page 9 does point to POW being counted for creatures.

p.160 Maths. Titanotheres Hit Points.

"Hit Points: 32". Should be 33. Initial CON of 23, SIZ of 51 gives a +10, POW of 11 gives nothing.

p.161 Maths. Tuskers Base SR.

"Base SR: 10". Should be 5. SIZ 26 gives 0 and DEX 4 give 5. The "Weapons" table for the Tuskers shows correct SR for a Base SR of 5 (Base of 5 + 4 for "unarmed" attack).

P.161-162 Maths. Great Vrok Hawk Damage Bonus.

"+2D6". Should be +3D6.

It is unclear as to whether adventurers of the various races get the language skills listed in the rest of the stat block, e.g. do all Duck adventurers get Speak (Tradetalk) 25%?

Page 52:

Morokanth, for example, get Understand Herd Beast 35% under the stat block as a language, but adventurers get 20. Understand Herd Beast is not a language though! It is a Magic skill.

Edited by PhilHibbs

no starting values for newtling adventurers even if in the initial pages it was stated that 

"However, the occasional baboon, centaur, or newtling makes a refreshing change, lending an enjoyable whimsical quality to gameplay"

but still no newting "as adventurers" in the rules. Please amend :)

Page 106: Vampires.

" Vampires are greatly affected by the determined presentation of the Death Rune by one consecrated (initiate or higher) to a Death cult. The Rune causes damage on touch and acts as a focus for a highly effective Disruption spell. Forceful display of the Rune gains the individual a measure of personal protection from vampires and a method of attack also."

States that a presented rune causes damage, is a highly effective disruption rune and protects the weilder - but without defining specifically how or how much.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2018 at 6:28 AM, Nevun said:

Page 106: Vampires.

" Vampires are greatly affected by the determined presentation of the Death Rune by one consecrated (initiate or higher) to a Death cult. The Rune causes damage on touch and acts as a focus for a highly effective Disruption spell. Forceful display of the Rune gains the individual a measure of personal protection from vampires and a method of attack also."

States that a presented rune causes damage, is a highly effective disruption rune and protects the weilder - but without defining specifically how or how much.

On page 97 in the Dancers of darkness description say an explication of how affect and them are vampires or is something different?

On 7/29/2018 at 8:41 AM, jongjom said:

Page 57   "Runes: All dwarfs have the Earth and Stasis Runes at 80% or higher."       This is not compatible with:       Page 58   "Runes: All dwarfs have the Earth Rune as their primary Elemental Rune and take Stasis at least at 80%."     This is because a primary Elemental Rune is 60% (page 45 of RQ:G). Please change the text of one of these. 

Values for sample NPCs and starting adventurers are not necessarily identical.

It may be that the NPC is relatively inexperienced and the adventurer is much more extraordinary, or the reverse, with an NPC holding a lifetime of experience and the adventurer just getting started. 

• Like 1

"Lunari ite domum!"
Just in case, I mention from G+:

Splendid! Pity about some mistakes in the pseudo-Latin (Jrusteli?) eg the Dancer in Darkness should be Homo Inanita Delectii as opposed to to Homo (fine) Inanitas (f. Acc. Plural) Delectiii (Gen. of Delectiius) Happy to help with corrections

8 minutes ago, 7Tigers said:

Iain Murray (https://plus.google.com/+MichaelOBrienMOB/posts/WWxnm1hykFu)

Pity about some mistakes in the pseudo-Latin (Jrusteli?) eg the Dancer in Darkness should be Homo Inanita Delectii as opposed to to Homo (fine) Inanitas (f. Acc. Plural) Delectiii (Gen. of Delectiius)

I think this is missing an "n" for Inanitans - inanire "to drain", inanitare "to really drain", active participium present. Delectii with two i, looks like this is a case of not knowing when to stop spelling bananananana.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 hour ago, MOB said:

Please note, we will be closing this discussion thread in 24 hours—we will then complete reviewing your suggestions and send the book to print.

TYVM !

I had misunderstood a prior note from Chaosium that this step had already happened.  Reviewing that note, I can only conclude my own eagerness to see the print copy led me to mis-read what was written... apologies.

C'es ne pas un .sig

• MOB unfeatured, unpinned and locked this topic

Thank you to everyone who posted suggested corrections. 

We are now reviewing those suggested corrections to prepare files to go to printer. We will also be producing an updated PDF which will be made available to everyone who has purchased the PDF. 

Once the updated PDF has been released, we will open this thread to catch any typos or errors spotted.

We will continue to update PDFs on the Chaosium website, DriveThru RPG, and Bits & Mortar. Any later approved corrections will go into a subsequent printing of the book.

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...

Today we have released an updated PDF of the RuneQuest Core Rules, the RuneQuest Bestiary, and the Adventures Book and Resources Book from the Gamemaster Screen Pack. This incorporates any corrections made based on the previous "tribal edit" thread.

These updated PDFs are available to download from your Chaosium account or your DTRPG account.

There is a new thread to catch any typos or errors spotted in the Glorantha Bestiary. Please note them there, quoting the page number, the error, and the suggested correction. Please only use the PDF of 11 October 2018 as the review document.

nb If you have any general questions about the RuneQuest rules, ask Jason here: https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/8399-runequest-core-rules-questions

Many thanks.

• 2 years later...