What settings are you planning?

Trifletraxor

I really want to run a gritty, pulpy sword & sorcery game using the Bronze Grimoire and the Wilderlands of High Fantasy box set; I think BRP/Stormbringer would do the setting much more justice than any iteration of D&D. I'd also love to run a "Mission: Impossible"-style Fading Suns game with lots of cloak & dagger stuff...

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really want to run a gritty, pulpy sword & sorcery game using the Bronze Grimoire and the Wilderlands of High Fantasy

I think it would run better with Stormbringer5 than with D&D too.

Personally, I'd love to run a tongue in cheek Mystara game. Play up the campiness and the deadliness. I'd probably go with Stormbringer5 for the base system, WoW Wizardry for magic and RQ3 Divine magic for Clerics. Mix in RQ3 Creatures book and some elbow grease and we've got some old school-like goodness.

70/420

I want to get a setting of mine off the drawing board.

It starts as a hard SF setting.They have spread through the solar system with anti-matter reaction drives, and built colonies at other stars with non-FTL travel. New technology changes the status quo. FTL becomes available. They find that they are not alone in the universe. Long term plots to end the universe, ancient empires, alien technology, are discovered and along the way a lot of questions are raised about Terrans' beginnings, relation with the universe, and possible futures.

Joseph Paul

Joseph Paul

"Nothing partys like a rental" explains the enduring popularity of prostitution.:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking around for a setting in which I could use most if not all the material said to be in the upcoming BRP book, and I think I have decided. Anyone remember the GDW game/setting produced between 1991 and 1993, Dark Conspiracy? It seems to have a place for all the power systems, etc. that Jason listed in the quick preview and I should be able to include any genre. Call of Cthulu-ish without the depressing sanity rules. A monster-hunting, X-Files sort of game with the eventual outcome in doubt and the very likely possibility the PCs can win out in a long campaign. Thoughts? If I go for it I may start a thread detailing the conversion, later.

That sounds pretty cool. I'll definitely be watching for it.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

(92/420)

Guest the Bromgrev

I'll continue hammering out my retro-tech SF setting, originally inspired by Blakes 7 but horribly mutated through influences such as Aliens, Bladerunner, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (both the 1930s B&W serial and the '79 to '81 series), C.J.Cherryh's Alliance/Union universe, Firefly/Serenity, Farscape, Kim Stanley-Robinson's Mars books, LEXX and Traveller.

Pavis-Prax using RQ3 and Greydog using HQ.

I doubt if I'll change from RQ3 to D100 unless there are major improvements.

But, I'll steal ideas from D100 and RQM.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned in my introduction - I'll be doing a Celtic-flavored fantasy using BRP/Stormbringer-type rules. To get more specific, though GURPS Celtic Myth is an important resource for me, I am NOT trying to create anything faithful to either Celtic history or Celtic mythology/folklore. I'm after more the flavor of it than the actuality of it. So it's a place where "druids" (based on historic but tweaked according to my needs/desires) practice magic and lead strange worship, etc. It's still a work-in-progress but I'll be happy to go into more detail if anyone's interested.

I'm also developing a "Cthulhu By Gaslight" campaign.

I'll continue hammering out my retro-tech SF setting, originally inspired by Blakes 7 but horribly mutated through influences such as Aliens, Bladerunner, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (both the 1930s B&W serial and the '79 to '81 series), C.J.Cherryh's Alliance/Union universe, Firefly/Serenity, Farscape, Kim Stanley-Robinson's Mars books, LEXX and Traveller.

As mentioned in my introduction - I'll be doing a Celtic-flavored fantasy using BRP/Stormbringer-type rules. To get more specific, though GURPS Celtic Myth is an important resource for me, I am NOT trying to create anything faithful to either Celtic history or Celtic mythology/folklore. I'm after more the flavor of it than the actuality of it. So it's a place where "druids" (based on historic but tweaked according to my needs/desires) practice magic and lead strange worship, etc. It's still a work-in-progress but I'll be happy to go into more detail if anyone's interested.

Would be nice to hear how your settings turn out as they both sounds pretty interesting. Are you thinking about making fanmaterial available online or something for publication?

Sverre.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

I'm also developing a "Cthulhu By Gaslight" campaign.

I am also very fond of celtic inspired adventures and the Gurps Celtic Myth sourcebook is great for this.

Would be nice to hear how your settings turn out as they both sounds pretty interesting. Are you thinking about making fanmaterial available online or something for publication?

Sverre.

Probably a no on publication, but I might stick something up on the web. I can't violate copywrights, but I could summarize some of what I've done. And, as I said, if people would like to see some of that here I'd be happy to post about it.

That would be great. A own thread about it once the system is out would be nice. :)

Sverre.

I'll start tonight (I'm at work right now - and supposed to be working ;) ).

I'll give it it's own thread, but it seems like it might be a good idea to start a new sub-forum for describing our own campaign settings. What do you think?

I have been planning to add a "settings" forum and a "off-topic" forum (this one would stay as a "rules" forum), but thought to wait until the book is out. I'm not sure the activity on the board would justify 3 different forums at this time, especially as most of us do not know how the final rules will turn out (magic systems etc.). Settings threads started in this forum could easily be transfered to a settings forum later when it's set up. I'll make a poll and see what the thoughts are.

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Guest the Bromgrev

Um, yeah ... thinking about it sounds about right ... :o

Kind of at a crossroads for my Straw Dogs Hawkmoon campaign, due for its annual outing in January.

Do I continue with the old Elric! hybrid that's served well for 10 years? The easy option...

Do I convert across to MRQ? Tempting, but I've been using MRQ for quite a lot recently, and a change is as good as a rest.

Do I use d100? There's so much to love about deluxe BRP, it would be a shame not to. And our Hawkmoon style is of a suitably gritty-yet-heroic kind...

Do I use Pete Nash's rather great Combat Mechanics over on the the RQ Wiki?

Choices, choices...

To be fair, the game relies so much on the characterisation and in-character arguments that we could lob bottle tops ala Prince Valiant and still have a great game, but the Inner Geek is nagging at me to get all the character sheets overhauled and to pull the whole system together.

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

I'm starting a campaign out of Knights fort on the edge of Prax in my own version of Glorantha .The game starts 2 years after the Battle of Moonbroth and conquest of Pavis.The Pharaoh worried about the Lunar empire launching a flank attack on the Holy country from Prax has order The All Seeing Eye( His intelligence agency) to make sure Lunar forces in Prax and Pavis have a interesting tour of duty there. Players include Prax and Sartar exiles, Heortling Deist, God forgot Sorcerers and even Trolls from the Shadow Plateau who may not really like each other but hate or fear the Lunar empire more.

I had long lost interest in RPG's. I absolutley loath d20, well okay loath is a bit strong. Intensely dislike is closer to the mark....

However I've always been a fan of quirky campaign settings such as Stormbringer (which we used to play a massive amount of in two campaigning groups), Call of Cthullu, Paranoia and Space 1889.

Anyway despite dropping RPG's we continued to play the Sky Galleons portion of Chadwicks excellent Space 1889 background introducing the odd roleplaying element here and there. Eventually though that dropped off too.

Very recently we have rediscovered an interest in the Sky Galleons game and have been talking about starting up a campaign again. Trouble was, the actual RPG rules for the game were dreadful.

So I decided to hunt the net to see if there was anything other than d20 based systems available. Lo and behold, it looks like my favourite system is making a big comeback!

So I can envisage a Space 1889 campaign using BRP in 2008, which fittingly marks 20 years since it's original release.

Science Fiction Role Playing in a more civilised time, flying martians, sky galleons and wacky victorian inventors, you know it all makes sense. Not to mention an evil GM could easily add in Lovecraftian horrors since it should mesh without too much trouble <maniacal laughter>

Please have this out by Christmas!

I plan to resurrect my homebrew fantasy campaign (Thonkar) that I created using RQ3 rules. Dwarves, gnomes, halfings, and elves are relatively recent colonists on the continent of Thonkar. Humanity is divided between tribal barbarians and a dominant civilized magocratic empire. The decadent mages have used their twisted arts to create a slave race. Using foul magics, they have combined animal and humans to created anthropomorphic creatures that are bi-pedal and bi-manual. The conflict arises when contact between the united colonist races make contact with the empire. The empire outwardly proposes trade and exchange, but they secretly mean to conquer the colonist races. The colonists discover the slavery of their citizens with the help of renegade Ani-men. The united colonist kingdoms go to war with the magocratic empire, and defeat the empire with the help of an Ani-men slave revolt.

BRP Ze 32/420

So I can envisage a Space 1889 campaign using BRP in 2008, which fittingly marks 20 years since it's original release.

Science Fiction Role Playing in a more civilised time, flying martians, sky galleons and wacky victorian inventors, you know it all makes sense. Not to mention an evil GM could easily add in Lovecraftian horrors since it should mesh without too much trouble

Cool... I always thought it was a great background.

Happy owner of number 226 of 420

I've currently got several campaign ideas that are churning their way through the selection process for the next game we run. Some aren't particularly appropriate for BRP for one reason or another, or have a dedicated game system we'd likely use if their chosen. A few have BRP as one of the possible systems for selection, though:

Urath: A parallel of modern day earth, where magic rather than technology is the dominant paradigm (though it doesn't entirely make up the difference). Society starts to fray as an invasion from the Chaos halfwordl throwss off the social order.

The Dark Ages: After the fall of Rome in a mystical version of our past, the Dark Age is coming, but you and your friends will do their best to protect your community from the forces that plan to take advantage of that, both human and nonhuman.

Doorways in the Sky: A game of exploration and political/military manuevering set in a future where the starts are reached by walking through stargates, and humanity is cometing with other races for stellar turf.