What settings are you planning?

Trifletraxor

I don't suppose you would care to share how you converted S1889 stuff to BRP?

I'd be really interested. :)

Me too. I loved Space 1889.

And the only rules that really suck are the combat rules (and to some extent chargen in how characteristics interact with combat). However the integration between the RPG and ship combat and miniatures rules was great.

Help kill a Trollkin here.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In no particular order of likelihood to be actually done in any form:

• Tales of the Long Night - high fantasy Island sailing through the void between worlds
  • Children of Leviathan - Gritty science fantasy battletech-ish set in the asteroid field containing Earth's last colony
  • The Shattered Lands - high fantasy post-apocalyspe in the Underdark
  • Nations of the New Blood - a relatively conventional Sword and Sorcery fantasy setting
  • Realm of Yrethe - Planetary romance Mars reimagined as the central Asian plateau and points east
  • The Last Refuge - Nightland meets the Sunset Warrior
  • Ulfland - my 1980's RQIII campaign setting, Mount Lookithat as a fantasy land...
  • Gate Warden Universe - a hard edged re-imagining of Future*World with liberal doses of Alastair Reynold's
  • After the Scouring - my current RQIII campaign, a near future SF/F post-apocalyspe game set in England

Most of these are conversions - I ran "After the Scouring" over the summer and, once we've finished the winter run of Call of Cthulhu, I'm expecting to go back to it next year, but we agreed that over the winter I'd rework it from RQIII with tweaks to BRP. Similarly, Ulfland was my RQIII campaign setting back at university in the late eighties, and was resurrected around 2001 for a D&D game, so porting it to BRP should be a synch.

Others however are just ideas I've been noodling away at but have very little concrete material (e.g. Children of Leviathan).

Plus of course there are existing worlds / settings that I've regularly said I'll run with BRP but have done little or no conversion work on (Actually, that's a fib, I've quite a lot on converting DS to RQIII and all my Gwenthia notes for actual play are for RQIII):

• Gwenthia
  • Freeport
  • Thieves World / Sanctuary
  • Ptolus
  • Star Trek (based of the FASA stuff)
  • Dark Sun
  • Space:1889
  • Skyrealms of Jorune

Cheers,

Nick

Your Alastair Reynolds/Future*World mix sounds quite the interesting idea (to me)... I'd think those were pretty divergent flavors to have in the same bowl...

It's the basic FTL mechanism and a couple of races from Future*World, and some of the background texture from the Revelation Space books - the planet Sky's Edge (as shown in Chasm City) is the closest thing to a direct influence from Reynolds. Mostly its the contrast between the planet bound cultures and the space borne ones: the Ultras and Conjoiners particularly; the sense of not so much different branches of the species as different stages along divergent evolutionary paths co-existing and interacting.

Plus I have fond memories of reading Heinlien's Tunnel in the Sky as a teenager and I'm a firm believer that the best RPG SF settings are like good TV SF settings: they are not weird, high concept extrapolations of obscure bits of current science, but rather take place "20 minutes into the future..." Perhaps not literally, but somehow, the technology and cultures are familiar enough to be quickly grasped. This is even more important in an RPG where several players and a GM need to have a shared understanding of the parameters of the world for the game to flow smoothly.

Cheers,

Nick

In no particular order of likelihood to be actually done in any form:

• Tales of the Long Night - high fantasy Island sailing through the void between worlds
  • Children of Leviathan - Gritty science fantasy battletech-ish set in the asteroid field containing Earth's last colony
  • The Shattered Lands - high fantasy post-apocalyspe in the Underdark
  • Nations of the New Blood - a relatively conventional Sword and Sorcery fantasy setting
  • Realm of Yrethe - Planetary romance Mars reimagined as the central Asian plateau and points east
  • The Last Refuge - Nightland meets the Sunset Warrior
  • Ulfland - my 1980's RQIII campaign setting, Mount Lookithat as a fantasy land...
  • Gate Warden Universe - a hard edged re-imagining of Future*World with liberal doses of Alastair Reynold's
  • After the Scouring - my current RQIII campaign, a near future SF/F post-apocalyspe game set in England

Most of these are conversions - I ran "After the Scouring" over the summer and (once we've finished the winter run of Call of Cthulhu) I'm expecting to go back to it next year, but we agreed that over the winter I'd rework it from RQIII with tweaks to BRP. Similarly, Ulfland was my RQIII campaign setting back at university in the late eighties, and was resurrected around 2001 for a D&D game, so porting it to BRP should be a synch.

Others however are just ideas I've been noodling away at but have very little concrete material (e.g. Children of Leviathan).

Plus of course there are existing worlds / settings that I've regularly say I'll run with BRP but have done little or no conversion work on (Actually, that's a fib, I've quite a lot on converting DS to RQIII and all my Gwenthia notes for actual play are for RQIII):

• Gwenthia
  • Freeport
  • Thieves World / Sanctuary
  • Ptolus
  • Star Trek (based of the FASA stuff)
  • Dark Sun
  • Space:1889
  • Skyrealms of Jorune

Cheers,

Nick

Not sure how much coversion you'd need to do on "Thieve's World/Sanctuary,"

as there's already an official RQ version of it (albeit out of print).

Not sure how much conversion you'd need to do on "Thieve's World/Sanctuary,"

as there's already an official RQ version of it (albeit out of print).

Which I have, but I also have all of the stuff Green Ronin did for their d20 conversion, and it would at least need some thinking through of the power levels and magic available to PC's... But its one of the easier settings to just pick up and run BRP in, I agree.

Cheers,

Nick

Originally Posted by alairduk

I don't suppose you would care to share how you converted S1889 stuff to BRP?

I'd be really interested.

Me too. I loved Space 1889.

And the only rules that really suck are the combat rules (and to some extent chargen in how characteristics interact with combat). However the integration between the RPG and ship combat and miniatures rules was great.

I used Cthulhu by Gaslight for a lot of it and commen sense for the rest. In fact, the only thing I really had to do myself was the BRP 1889 character sheet.

For the stats, make the Space 1889 character as normal, roll 2d6 and add to each stat. Multiply the skills+controlling stats x10 for a fair interpretation of the characters' skill levels. Anything else you can eyeball, or take as is from a BRP game, like weapon stats (Cthulhu By Gaslight being the obvious choice, if you can get it). This is from an article in the Transactions of the Royal Martian Geographical Society (Space 1889 fanzine) about conversion of Space 1889 to Call of Cthulhu. The article was available for free download on Heliograph's (company that did the Space 1889 reprints a few years ago) website, the last time I checked.

It's the basic FTL mechanism and a couple of races from Future*World, and some of the background texture from the Revelation Space books - the planet Sky's Edge (as shown in Chasm City) is the closest thing to a direct influence from Reynolds. Mostly its the contrast between the planet bound cultures and the space borne ones: the Ultras and Conjoiners particularly; the sense of not so much different branches of the species as different stages along divergent evolutionary paths co-existing and interacting.

I have been putting together a BRP interpretation of the Revelation Space universe for quite a while now. You're more than welcome to the character gen ideas I have so far for Conjoiners, Ultras, Demarchists etc...

River of Heaven - Science Fiction Roleplaying in the 28th Century

http://riverofheaven.d101games.co.uk/

• 4 weeks later...

Dragon Pass c. 1605, just before the Building Wall Battle, using BRP game system with HeroQuest-inspired magic (% scores for Runic Affinities, Augments rules, that sort of stuff).

My own "Chronicles of Future Earth" future fantasy dystopia set in the Venerable Autocracy of Sakara, eldest of the Springtide Civilisations. Magic and high fantasy with gods and transdimensional nasties, weird non-human races, against a background of a fall from a high science interstellar civilisation in unimaginable antiquity. Set in appx 60000AD in modern-day Spain and North Africa during a global ice age. It might need a magic system writing, or the BRP sorcery & magic rules might be nickable as is. Hope so!

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

• 2 weeks later...

When the BRP book will be in my possession i will beguin my CRome adventure.

CYBER-ROME

IMPERIAL HISTORY.

Several factors played their shares in the surviving and the

prosperity of the empire. Between the Year 762 and 764

A.U.C. (AB URBA CONDITA: after the foundation of Rome)

the general Roman Drusus ordered several legions to sank

deeply in the German territory. Using a new strategy mixing

massive actions of the Roman cohort with actions of guerrilla

by professional gladiators, the legions of Drusus massacred

several thousands of barbarians. To terrify by the power of

Rome, the Germanic tribes emigrated to the east. The

frontier-wars that followed were wars of conquest rather than

of defensive actions. Major difference were noted with the history that we know of the Roman empire until the Year 914 A.U.C. The emperor Marcus Aurelius prepared to launch an expedition against Parthes when an attempt

of murders by poison left it too weakened to continue. Thus it there was no attack against Parthes and the epidemic that devastated the empire remained confine in orient. The emperor lived ten more years and

when it deceased in the Year 952 the senate appointed Aullus Germanicus as successor. The twenty Emperors that succeeded him were also appointed by the senate. They reigned efficiently and competent manner and few of them perished assassinated. Thus the Roman's legions did not suffer the

toll of the civil war and repelled easily the invasions of Huns and Goths.

In the Year 2453 A.U.C. Rome controls Europe and reaches a technological level corresponding to the Victorian era. The Empire spread, conquered Perse, Central Africa and the north of India. Expeditions to

the west discover Iceland and northern America (TERRA-NOVA). The colonization of its new territories provoked the unavoidable confrontation between the Aztec and Roman empire. To the east the empire of the throne of the dragon ( China) and Rome confronts for the southern possession of India. It is the beginning of the war without - end that will take effectively end only with the signature of the great treaty of 2743 A.U.C. After almost 300 years of a murderess struggle them three empires signed the peace and divided the planet and also the solar system. The Treaty of Rome had

for consequence to warn all open wars on earth and in the space for 150 years. It is the most long period of peace during 1000 years. There are well some frontier incidents and wars by small interposed countries but for the moment all generalized conflict danger seems to have a low probability to occur.

IMPERIAL POLITICAL SYSTEM

Rome is now the equivalent of a constitutional monarchy. Each new emperor

is chosen by the senate and is adopted by the reigning emperor. The senate is the government of the empire and the emperor alone holds more power that

this institution. But as the former is elected by a majority of senators there

few disagreements between the two landings of governments. The senatorial

system has to bases the mega - corporations, the former is generally free to

made what they want but they all have similarly certain restriction. All global

resources or all decision that would allocate all worsens it have to be

approved by a majority vote of the senate or a decree of the emperor. The

senate has a total of 50 seats, approximately 2% of the total of the wealth of

the empire costs a seat/vote. If a mega - corporation succeeded to make so much money it will replace an other with a lower total. Certain mega - corporations have several votes/seats but none has ever

succeeded to have an absolute majority. Trades and negotiations of the senates are as a bench of piranhas. , Each member is plotting to improve

its position. The small groups sell their votes or form coalitions to exert more influence. Larger groups can literally control the empire, if they find an ally or bankrupts the corporation of an adversary succeeding thus to alter the distribution of the vote. As the vote is recounted to each seconds during of

crucial sessions, the sabotage by mercenaries of a competitor can eliminate its voting right allowing you thus to pass a project of law interesting you. Players will be often committed for this sort of operation.

Obviously risks were huge because the mega - corporation that has committed you could decide to eliminate the witness to keep this operation secret.

THE EFFECTS OF GREENHOUSES.

The world temperature has increased near 5 degrees in a century with for

consequence the flood of many coastal plains but equally the transformation

of the climate in once inappropriate zones to the human implantation. Now

these great steppes and deserts are today vast granaries of wheat, what in

fact particularly supervised militarily zones because of populations

extremely poor that reside there. Paradoxically it is the pollution that

protects the great industrial zones of mortal rays of the sun. A great part of

the Roman empire and its colonies live constantly under a dome of pollution

filtering. Result: One survives in a funniness of green light, hot and Sticky, a

thick soup that veils constantly stars and rays of the sun but that allows also

to exit the day without combination anti-UV, what is not so everywhere on earth.

TOWN PLANNING

Contemporary cities of the Roman empire are composed by three

entities that amalgamates almost completely: A residential center

highly supervised where lodge a framework of the mega -

corporation that controls the city, circled by an immense suburb

where are found automatic factories and housing for clients, burst

that and there by zones not controlled by imperial authority,

where come to flee all pariahs. Many chic quarters are organized

around a forum, the vast well around of which one finds

apartments, trades and hotels. Floors are served by apparent

elevators and in most of the times. The only possible access by the

roof is the heliport. Reason this town planning is tells Fortified

Forums: the terrorism and the pollution. Inside forums, rich residents breathe the filtered and pure air and are under cover from lost bullets. Catacombs are the complex tunnels (ancient metro, sewers, terrains of parking and ancient anti-aircraft shelter. ) You can find these ones in the great Metropolis of the empire. Little by little abandoned by municipal authorities, they have become the sanctuary of the reprobate and the criminal we exclude from the great cities. Catacombs have their clean laws. It is without a doubt the

most harmful places of the planet. All residents of catacombs have a common ground: this are savage beasts, haunted by their past, often ravaged by drugs or so altered genetically they are not capable to lives

with their normal neighbor. RIPs (Regions d'Insecurite Permanente in modern Latin, permanent insecurity region) are suburbs abandoned by municipal authorities and past under the control of an or several streets or tribe gangs. RIPs do not have to be confused with catacombs, some resemblances of

order reign there( vigils, watchman (police)) and some clients reside there again. But real estates blackened and abandoned hidden dens of drugs and territory traffickers of streets' gangs, the due mortality to the delinquency beats their records.

PEOPLES

THE CLIENT

The full job is an idea totally exceeded since soon more of a century. Everyone knows and understands that a great part of the population of the empire can work only some hours by week perhaps not at all. The essentials of the production being for a long time automated, alone posted them to responsibilities and creation can guarantee the full job. This new economic order had for major consequence that two men on three could hope other thing only a permanent unemployment. This heavy situation of conflicts, was solved by the mega - corporations that decided to give to the honor watches it custom the clientele. Thus these peoples that formerly were feebly indemnified by their social assistance offices receive the foods and the shelter and also of usable purchase credits only in the corporation where they are clients. In counterpart the mega - corporations have thus force of extra in wars and consumers of basis for commercial conflicts. Consequence of this generalized clientele policy: the development of poor people suburbs all around residential and vital centers of imperial megalopolises. These grimy suburban zones give only on RIPS or on an other suburb devoted to an other mega - corporation, the frontier is generally a harmful perimeter where it does not make good to stroll. Commentators have asserted that the unemployment had been conquered in years 2810 AUC, but at what prices replied others; Never the idea of society at two speeds was at this point put in obviousness in the Roman empire.

Yes i has read Roma-Eterna but not the Romanitas trilogy,

the Romanitas look promising. I like the web page.

But Slavery is not a issue in CRome because of the unenployement and automatisation. One of the big issue in CRome is the interdiction of monotheistic religion. The reason is simple is better for the emperor to be the arbitor of numerous religion than to has in face a monolitic bloc who constitute a paralel governement a state in the state.

carnifex.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll continue hammering out my retro-tech SF setting, originally inspired by Blakes 7 but horribly mutated through influences such as Aliens, Bladerunner, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (both the 1930s B&W serial and the '79 to '81 series), C.J.Cherryh's Alliance/Union universe, Firefly/Serenity, Farscape, Kim Stanley-Robinson's Mars books, LEXX and Traveller.

If you can, try to get a copy of the 1930's Buck Rogers newspaper strips (actually started in the late 1920's and ran for decades). It is quite a bit different from either the serial or the TV series. For the original Buck Rogers you want reprints of the two pulp stories, but going from memory I'd just worry about finding a copy of the hardback volume that reprinted a lot of the early comic strip stories. My first introduction was this book, and the serial was a major disappointment as it is very different.

One of the settings I'm looking at borrows from Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon (original Sunday Comics version, and serials), E.E. "Doc" Smith's books, the Tom Swift Jr. books, Perry Rhodan, and others. Basically I'd like to do a 1950's setting but with interplanetary travel being fairly widespread. I think it would be a blast, but I doubt my players would go for the idea.

Zane

As I just mentioned in my previous post in this thread, I'm looking at doing a sort of 1950's Interplanetary Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi is one area I really like, and I'm also interested in doing something where an Intergalactic Dark Ages is coming to a close, or possibly a human settled universe with a US vs. USSR style Cold War. I am also a big fan of grand "Space Opera" type settings, or downtrodden "Firefly" type settings.

I am also looking at various 1930's Pulp ideas, though I must admit I'd really like to try "Pulp Cthulhu" for that. My players would like me to do Delta Green. Other things that might be fun would be Cyberpunk, or Post-Holocaust (either right after, or well after), or Doctor Who.

Depending on what my players do in the next couple sessions there is a good chance that campaign will finally wind down, and I am personally leaning towards 1930's Pulp.

Zane

I'm planning on a French Revolution/Napoleonic campaign. The flavour will mainly be political intrigue, but with a sprinkling of naval battles (will use my Langton miniatures & rules) and land battles. I think it'll be a directed 'quest' type of approach for the party. Starting in Halifax Nova Scotia and ending with an audience with Napoleon himself. A good setting if you ask me as the source material is effectively limitless.

If it gets dull in any way, I might then drop in an alternative universe twist whereby the adverturers get hold of modern automatic weapons and sniper rifles >:-> That should result in some fun at Watrerloo! :thumb:

132/420

I'm planning on a French Revolution/Napoleonic campaign. The flavour will mainly be political intrigue, but with a sprinkling of naval battles (will use my Langton miniatures & rules) and land battles. I think it'll be a directed 'quest' type of approach for the party. Starting in Halifax Nova Scotia and ending with an audience with Napoleon himself. A good setting if you ask me as the source material is effectively limitless.

If it gets dull in any way, I might then drop in an alternative universe twist whereby the adverturers get hold of modern automatic weapons and sniper rifles >:-> That should result in some fun at Watrerloo! :thumb:

Who said "Time Bandits"?

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

One of the settings I am going to create when the book comes out is a planetary romance/sword and planet style setting inspired by Burroughs Barsoom, Brackett, etc... with a touch of horror.

It's a little early to announce, but the next BRP project I'm working on should make you very happy.

It's a little early to announce, but the next BRP project I'm working on should make you very happy.

How about multiple choice? :happy:

A) A John Carter RPG

B) An Edgar Rice Burroughs RPG,

C) A Pulp era RPG?

D) None of the above (:P liar!)

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

How about multiple choice? :happy:

A) A John Carter RPG

B) An Edgar Rice Burroughs RPG,

C) A Pulp era RPG?

D) None of the above (:P liar!)

It's actually closer to C or D.

Neither John Carter or ERB are really available for RPG licensing. Disney owns the rights to JC, Tarzan, and a few other properties in the ERB catalog (or so I have been informed) and they're not exactly cheap to work with.

Plus, the ERB estate is famous for overvaluing their IP when dealing with smaller licensees.

It is definitely pulpy, though, but more romantic in tone.