What settings are you planning?

Trifletraxor

I will continue to work on my Pharos IV setting already mentioned elsewhere:

A comparatively young human colony on a water world in a remote corner of

the "Honorverse" (of David Weber's "Honor Harrington"-novels), although with

a "Traveller"-like atmosphere.

The setting was created last year with "GURPS Traveller", I then moved it to

"Cthulhu Rising", and now I will translate it into the new BRP.

Since last September we have played 66 years of the colony's history, and I

currently have about sixty pages of "canonical" material, a couple of maps,

and a lot of notes.

Until very recently I was quite proud of the sixty pages, but then someone

mentioned a setting with 600+ pages (:shocked:), and this shows that I still

have some way to go ... :o

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair this thing isn't something that just popped up...

I had started it with five pages in a spiral notebook in Algebra II back in 92-93. I added about 10 pages in 2002 and about 100 pages a year since then...

Half the book is just gear, skills and monsters without any great inspiration just there for completeness...so really it's only about 300 pages of "setting".

-STS

I have a copy of edition zero of the BRP rules, and am happy to find that most of the info about sci-fi type games in there will allow me to run a campaign set in the Revelation Space universe of Alastair Reynolds. I plan to run a campaign set pre-diaspora, around the time of Reynolds' early short stories - Great Wall of Mars, A Spy In Europa etc.

I have got character generation for factions such as Conjoiners, Demarchists, Coalition for Neural Purity, Gilgamesh-Isis etc done. Just need to get some playtesting done...

Now this I've gotta see!:thumb:

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

I'm currently using BRP Edition Zero to run a mini Hollw Earth Expedition campaign. I'm simply using the two HEX books for source material, making up my own characters and scenario, plus of course the BRP rules. The group's had a good time so far getting to Germany. Currently they are in a zepplion on their way to destiny......(oh, and Nazi smashing! :thumb: )

132/420

I am happy to stick all the docs in a subfolder off my Cthulhu Rising website as soon as it is in a legible format. I'll post a link when it is.

:)

I was wondering when modern space opera would meet BRP. Hopefully it will be a match made in heaven...or should that be space?:D

Edited by Conrad
http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

Almost a decade ago, I started running The Fallen; a game set in my own Cyberpunk world. I created my own mechanics and everything. Considering that the world has demons, angels, and the supernatural, as well as the usual Cyberpunk trappings, I realised what better system to use for it other than BRP. BRP is off the shelf, spilling with these things, ready to go. All I need to do is have one rulebook and I'm away.

I plan to continue my Star Wars campaign, moving from D6 to BRP; rather than D20 Saga Edition. With D20, even though the new Saga Edition rules are flexible to a certain degree, I've found that BRP is better suited. BRP is open ended, and allows the players to develop the skills and abilities they want. In D20, you have to wait to go up a level before you improve, no matter what skills you use or actions you undertake. Plus it's heavily geared towards combat. In BRP, you improve the skills you use, and the system allows for a role-play element to the story to become more central. I know Star Wars is action based, and BRP is rather gritty. But play-testing has gone to show how BRP is rather suited to the setting.

Nathan Baron

I plan to continue my Star Wars campaign, moving from D6 to BRP; rather than D20 Saga Edition. With D20, even though the new Saga Edition rules are flexible to a certain degree, I've found that BRP is better suited. BRP is open ended, and allows the players to develop the skills and abilities they want. In D20, you have to wait to go up a level before you improve, no matter what skills you use or actions you undertake. Plus it's heavily geared towards combat. In BRP, you improve the skills you use, and the system allows for a role-play element to the story to become more central. I know Star Wars is action based, and BRP is rather gritty. But play-testing has gone to show how BRP is rather suited to the setting.

Is moving from the WEG D6 system to BRP difficult? I don't own much in the way of SW WEG products, just Shadows of the Empire and the Imperial Sourcebook. My own experience with porting to BRP has been relatively smooth (with the exception of Shadowrun). If you have the mods you used, I would be interested in seeing them. I am always on the lookout for system port rules into BRP and D6 seems a bit flaky to me.

Also, I completely agree on the combat oriented aspects of D20...combat is something that should either be avoided or made as quick as possible to reduce the chances of PC death...not somthing that should be spread out over 40 combat rounds (which WoTC seems to bragging about in some other forums...sheesh).

-STS

Is moving from the WEG D6 system to BRP difficult? I don't own much in the way of SW WEG products, just Shadows of the Empire and the Imperial Sourcebook. My own experience with porting to BRP has been relatively smooth (with the exception of Shadowrun). If you have the mods you used, I would be interested in seeing them. I am always on the lookout for system port rules into BRP and D6 seems a bit flaky to me.

I've been running BRP Star Wars for sometime. It's only my old, existing Star Wars gaming group that needs to be converted. To make it simple, I've decided that if you have 5D in a skill, a player simply adds +50% to the relevant skill base in BRP. Working out characteristics is a little harder to do. I need to work that part out. The easiest option is re-stat the characters from scratch. Since I started working on BRP Star Wars long before the current BRP book went into production, the Force works differently. It augments existing skills. It is clear that Jason's Galactic Knight is an example of Jedi, and uses Psychic Powers. You can easily use that instead. Plus weapons, armour, and vehicles are covered in the BRP book.

Nathan Baron

I'm planning to do a game based on the computer game "STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl", the movie "Stalker", the novel "Roadside Picnic" and the RPG setting "The Zone" developed many moons ago by John Tynes.

Essentially, there'll be a Zone, where some crazy stuff is going on. Characters will be the Scavengers, Thieves, Adventurers, Looters, Killers, Explorers and Robbers raiding the zone with is ineffectually quarantined by the government. Strange artifacts and anomalies, mutants, psychic powers, and all manner of dangerous strangeness abounds inside the Zone's devastated landscape.

So basically 1D = 10% in a skill? When you get the stats converted, please post them, I'd be interested in seeing how you do it. For equipment, I assume you are just using analogues instead of direct conversion, correct?

I'm using the equipment straight out of the BRP book. One thing I must point out is, because Star Wars is very heroic, hit points are worked out using CON+SIZ as a total. BRP is a very gritty system, and can very horrific when it comes to personal combat. A critical and that's scratch one player character. That's why I doubled hit points for heroic characters. That includes major antagonists, such as Darth Vader, to represent the threat they pose. Non-heroic characters, such as Stormtroopers and the like, then keep hit points as normal. A blaster bolt should fell them easily.

For converting characteristics, here is an idea:

1D = 8

2D = 10

3D = 12

4D = 15

5D = 18

New = Original WEG

STR = Strength

DEX = Dexterity

CON = Strength

SIZ = Roll for using normal rules

INT = Knowledge + Technical divided by 2

POW = Perception + Technical divided by 2

APP = Perception + Knowledge divided by 2

Nathan Baron

Thanks, I appreciate that.

I think I'll keep hp on the low side, but everything else looks good. I was thinking of maybe starting a thread of conversions to BRP to show how easy everything it is to move to BRP.

If this can go in it, let me know so I can start collecting all of these in Word and then just cut and paste into a new thread.

-STS

That sounds ... nice! It reminds me of an old Russian movie I once saw, about a group of men penetrating a Chernobyl-like Forbidden Zone.

Read, also, Theroux's 'O-Zone' about a huge American forbidden zone.

I'm planning to do a game based on the computer game "STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl", the movie "Stalker", the novel "Roadside Picnic" and the RPG setting "The Zone" developed many moons ago by John Tynes.

Essentially, there'll be a Zone, where some crazy stuff is going on. Characters will be the Scavengers, Thieves, Adventurers, Looters, Killers, Explorers and Robbers raiding the zone with is ineffectually quarantined by the government. Strange artifacts and anomalies, mutants, psychic powers, and all manner of dangerous strangeness abounds inside the Zone's devastated landscape.

Paul Elliott

Warlords of Alexander - Roleplaying in the ruins of Alexander's Empire

Zenobia - Fantasy RPG in the Eastern Roman Empire

Zaibatsu - Fast-play Japanese cyberpunk - Gibson-style

www.geocities.com/mithrapolis/games.html

• 1 year later...

I got thinking about Stalker too (not the video game). Did you know there already is a Stalker RPG, but the slight problem is that it's in Finnish. Dunno know if it's been translated in other languages. This isn't a problem for me personally, as I am a Finn, though. So I was thinking of using the campaign bits from the Stalker RPG and apply BRP rules to it.

I am not sure what the game system of the Stalker RPG are, but apparently it is a quick, diceless system. Might be perfectly ok, but I am still interested in using BRP with it.:thumb:

• 3 months later...

Having (almost) finished my Asornok setting ("Inuit and Greenlanders", from

the point of view of a fictional Inuit nation) for Mongoose Traveller - begun

as an idea to demonstrate that this system can be used for fantasy, too - I

am now very much tempted to convert it to BRP.

This would enable me to use the Mythic Iceland supplement, once it is publi-

shed, for the Greenlander part of the setting. However, while converting the

background information would be very easy (it is already "systemless"), the

conversion of the game mechanics part would require some effort ... :ohwell:

(Charlie Chan)

But don't we already have some BRP Traveller conversion stuff in the downloads section or in the threads? And the old Futureworld (available free online) has a faux Traveller military sci fi setup you could swipe.

Of course you could avoid all this by emigrating to Vinland and becoming chummy with the Behotek. A few slugs of homebrewed wine, and all your conversion worries will fade. ;)

But don't we already have some BRP Traveller conversion stuff in the downloads section or in the threads?

True, of course. I am just too lazy to work on a project when there is no

"deadline" for it, and without an Asornok campaign on the horizon and the

Mythic Iceland supplement unlikely to be published this year, I will hardly

be able to convince myself to work on a conversion - especially when it

includes a lot of translation (I used the German version of Mongoose Tra-

veller, but there is no German version of BRP ...). :o

(Charlie Chan)