Differences between 3rd & 6th Edition

caden_varn

I have just dug out my old RQ stuff - apparently I have 3rd Edition basic & advanced (I am sure I had a campaign setting or adventure thingy once upon a time, but if so it is buried somewhere). I see we are now up to 6th edition - has much changed? What benefits would I get for 6th Ed vs advanced 3rd?

6th ed or RQ6 published by the Design Mechanism (now called Mythra) is a major overhaul from RQ3  and has some very nice mechanics.

Chaosium's new edition, RuneQuest Roleplaying in Glorantha or RQG is an evolution from RQ2 that has fully integrated Runes into the engine and firmly sets the game in Glorantha

Edited by Psullie

1 hour ago, caden_varn said:

I have just dug out my old RQ stuff - apparently I have 3rd Edition basic & advanced (I am sure I had a campaign setting or adventure thingy once upon a time, but if so it is buried somewhere). I see we are now up to 6th edition - has much changed? What benefits would I get for 6th Ed vs advanced 3rd?

The key benefits of moving to a new edition (IMHO) is that it's where all the current support and "action" is.  New content, buzz, excited players, promos from publishers, from retailers, etc etc etc.  Secondarily (but you may feel otherwise) is new-and-improved rules, etc.  RQ3 is effectively a "dead" ruleset -- other than a very few die-hard fans putting stuff online, expect no new content for the game (that said, it's a perfectly usable RPG and if you're a DIY'er of game content by preference, this may be inconsequential to you!).

6th edition -- from The Design Mechanism -- has been renamed "Mythras" as Chaosium pulled the licensing for the "RuneQuest" name back in-house, for their own new edition (more on that below).  Mythras would be the title to look for & buy, although if you got a cheap backstock/used copy the 6e "RuneQuest" book is 99.9% compatible and probably 90% identical (IIRC, the only big change is a re-write clarifying (not changing) Animism magic).  There is a PDF-freebie introductory ruleset, "Mythras Imperative" (can be bought reasonably cheap if you prefer).  There used to be (in the pre-Mythras era) a much-larger "RuneQuest Essentials" PDF-freebie that TDM no longer distributes (that whole (c) issue over the "RuneQuest" name ya know?)... but if you really wanted it I'm sure Google can help you find it.

The "Imperative" rules are probably your best quick insight into whether you want to move that way, going forward; they are MUCH more concise than the older "Essentials" document.  Some RQ fans feel Mythras the best version of BRP/d100/RQ available; others do not.

Key features of Myhras/RQ6 (that distinguish it from other BRP/d100/RQ versions) include the use of "Action Points" to act within the combat-round -- skilled groups will use not only per-PC APs but consider the AP totals of their own group vs their foes, and work for strategic advantages; and the use of "Combat Effects" to shape and control battles -- these are like a much-expanded "critical/fumble" system, with much more player control.

The Mythras rules are vibrantly-alive and well-supported, though it doesn't include Glorantha (fan-run sites do support Glorantha, however, if you like the world).  TDM also offers an expanding "Mythic Earth" line of settings for Mythras -- Dark-Ages Britain; early-Renaissance Constantinople; Rome... and several more in the pipeline!  Plus their own fantasy game-world of Thennla; plus the alt-sci/sci-fi licensed "Luther Arkwright" defend-the-multiverse setting; plus the AD&D-crossover "Classic Fantasy" line; plus the post-apocalyptic/modern-urban-fantasy "After the Vampire Wars;" and 3rd-party Frostbyte offers a sci-fi toolkit-ish "M-Space" volume.  As I said... Vibrantly alive!

As Psullie notes, the new "official" RuneQuest is the brand-new one from Chaosium.  The actual printed copies are, as I understand it, currently in transit (on a container-ship) from the printer (a few boxes were Airshipped for Gen Con; expect those to sell out at the event!) .  The PDF is currently for sale directly from Chaosium, and the cost will apply directly to your purchase of the printed rulebook when it arrives at Chaosium distribution-centers.  A brand-new Bestiary book has just been locked-down to final edits, and a "GM Pack" is nearing completion.  A slipcase set of Core/Beastiary/GMPack are in pre-production stages.

The new edition is based heavily upon a RQ2/RQ3 core engine, with a LOT of tweaks and upgrades, and notable influences from other games too.  Runes become a front-and-center game element for the first time ever.  It is by far the most-Gloranthan edition or RQ ever (and a fabulously beautiful RPG, to boot!).

There will later be a "GM Book" & "Cults of Glorantha" book (50 Cults, dramatically expanding upon the 20-ish in the core book), both IIRC in mostly-written stages; and there's a BUNCH more content coming down the pipeline in various stages of advancement.

Last but not least:   Chaosium has announced a 'Runequest: Fantasy Earth" line, with the first title, "Mythic Iceland," nearing completion; AND they have signed a new author/game-designer to produce a new BRP-based Sci-Fi game.   So... ALSO vibrantly alive!

Which to choose???  Well, I have 2 answers:

1.  BOTH, of course.  Each one is great, and they are different-enough to be meaningfully-different games.

2.  If not "both" then... can't help ya, Sundance.

Edited by g33k
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Yeah just to clarify, because there are so many version of RQ rolling around these days, the latest edition of the game is, technically, RuneQuest Glorantha (RQG) which came out two months ago.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

6 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

That's not 6th Edition.

No; but given that the OP said "... now up to 6th" it's not clear if they want the TDM edition specifically, or the latest title bearing the "RQ," moniker, or what ...

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 8/1/2018 at 8:06 PM, caden_varn said:

The latest version of RuneQuest, RuneQuest Roleplaying in Glorantha by Chaosium is available as PDF, and soon to be available in print.

Check out this podcast that talks through the latest edition. It should give you a good idea about what it’s about. One of the writers (MOB) gives a good insight too. Think you’ll find it plays very similarly to RQ3 or RQ2,  but  with some changes and additions to help playability even more.

https://thegrognardfiles.com/2018/08/07/episode-22-part-2-runequest-roleplaying-in-glorantha-with-michael-obrien-aka-mob/

We could probably benefit from a Sticky Thread that lists the various incarnations of RQ, which ones are still in print, under what names, the companies behind them, what support exists for those games, and where to find it. 

To someone whose hasn't looked into RQ for a long time, or who is new to the game it could be rather confusing. 

Edited by Atgxtg
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Atgxtg said:

We could probably benefit from a Sticky Thread that lists the various incarnations of RQ, which ones are still in print, under what names, the companies behind them, what support exists for those games, and where to find it. 

To someone whose hasn't looked into RQ for a long time, or who is new to the game it could be rather confusing. 

Yah.  Despite the undoubted Chaosium pref for all attention to be on the New Shiny (and a VERY attention-worthy Shiny RQG is, too!) a disambiguation Sticky would IMHO be useful !

And maybe someone could pick up that nice flowchart (apologies to whoever created it, for forgetting who you are! That was nice work!) showing BRP versions & flavors... I'd love to see it kept up-to-date! 

C'es ne pas un .sig

14 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

The wiki would be a good home for that, see my sig.

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

3 hours ago, simonh said:

The wiki would be a good home for that, see my sig.

I disagree. In order for someone to become up to date with the versions of RQ, they would first have to become aware of the wiki, and already be aware that RQG has something to do with whatever version of RQ they are looking up.   With this site being the official Chaosium forum, it is far more likely for an old RQ fan or someone who was bought RQG to be aware of Chasoium and wind up here. Although, even a sticky thread with a link to the wiki would do the trick.

While I'm at it, some sort of FYI on RQ, and differences between editions and a little info on the major supplements (such as which one is for which RQ) would probably help. Often people look for a supplement to cover a particular genre or area, and wind up looking at or even purchasing a supplement for a different version of RQ that might not be compatible or applicable to the version of RQ that they are playing. Someone who came into the game with Mongoose's RQII could easily find an old Chaosium RQ2 product,  expect it to be written for the same exact game system, and wind up horribly confused. Some sort of FYI would help, and I think a wiki, linked in a sticky thread might be the ideal solution.