Crazy Clockwork Contraptions

Butters

Just wondering what kind of Clockwork powered insanity people have added to their games of Clockwork and Chivalry  (Or at least tried to slip past the G.M 😋)

I'm still trying to figure out how to get one of these bad boys in. 

23.PNG

Edited by Butters
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Clockwork Device,
Spectacles of Amplitude
The lenses are set inside a copper array that is fastened to a wide leather belt that wraps around the head and buckles at the back. The small levers for controlling the length of the single brass tube are located over the right spectacle, just above the ear which allows the wearer to adjust the magnification of the device easily and fairly quickly with only the slightest whirr of clockwork as the brass tube moves back and forth. Rumours of people losing an eye to this device after a malfunction are strenuously denied by The Worshipful Company of Spectacle Makers.

Plus 20 to Perception tests involving sight.

Cost: 25 shillings
Complexity: 2
Size: 1
Hit Points: 1
Speed: 0
Armour: 0
Weapons: N/A

Edited by Butters
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

When I get round to editing all my notes from my C & C campaign (loosely following the Kingdom and Commonwealth scenarios) I probably will have the odd thing, contraption or totally weird idea to share. In the meantime check out andrewchase.com for some inspiration from his absolutely brilliant sculptures (I am using these as basis for Lady Silver combining clockwork, alchemy and witchcraft by putting living brains into mechanical bodies and I was in need of some nice high powered and difficult to skill stuff to go up against some characters who had grown somewhat in stature since the campaign started).

Yeti

2zc159uklj04.jpg

473081.jpg

andrew-chase-mechanical-metal-wolf-playing.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/11/2018 at 9:41 PM, Firebird01 said:

Todays creepy becomes tomorrows normal for your players and just because they are paranoid doesn't mean that the whole world isn't out to get them. Now to introduce them to chameleon wolves and attack squirrels.

Attack squirrels riding chameleon wolves, now there's a thought.

The only clockwork item I have tried to get into the game so far (Couldn't find a clockwork Preacher in time) was a clockwork flashbang type of device. The first prototype was just a brass tin with holes circling the top which you could set to go off at certain time intervals via a clockwork firing device whilst the second one was going to have legs.😮

One idea I am toying with is having clockwork 'batteries', essentially a pre wound clockwork spring in a canister which plugs into your clockwork weapon (e.g. rotating halberd etc.). In principle the same as power packs for power tools that you charge and then plug into the tool. Will need a bit of careful design as we don't want characters to have to much extra power to use do we.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2018 at 9:36 PM, Firebird01 said:

One idea I am toying with is having clockwork 'batteries', essentially a pre wound clockwork spring in a canister which plugs into your clockwork weapon (e.g. rotating halberd etc.). In principle the same as power packs for power tools that you charge and then plug into the tool. Will need a bit of careful design as we don't want characters to have to much extra power to use do we.

Now that is an interesting idea, it's also a great plot MacGuffin as a portable power source would be a huge game changer. 

Edited by Butters

An Alchemist and a Clockwork Preacher* get drunk one night and.......

flask spider.PNG

The glass bulb gets filled with all sorts of interesting alchemical formulas. 

*Admittedly one of them has to be let out of their prison cell first.

Edited by Butters

• 3 weeks later...

I'm wondering if a clockwork contraption could be set up to cast a spell of some sort. It's gears inscribed with symbols that pass over each other and line up in specific ways... conjugations of precious stones and other ingredients... maybe a little box to drop in a mouse to grease the wheels with blood.
There was a large scale version of such a thing in the remake of 13 Ghosts (Thir13en Ghosts)... where the whole house was a mechanical marvel, glass panes inscribed with spells... and massive gearworks in the walls and under the floors.

The idea of bringing mechanical precision to spellcasting, and allowing the spell to be cast at some later time by some unsuspecting interloper.

13+GHOSTS+6.jpg

Edited by Simlasa
  • Like 1

I Don't see why this approach could not be used, after all a lot of witchcraft spells have specific triggers associated with them so it's just a variation on that really. I have used something similar, a clockwork bomb mechanism designed to work on alchemical principles - basically loaded with philosophers stones and planted in the army laboratories and designed to start a 'critical mass' of philosophers stones instigating a chain reaction for every stone nearby - if it wasn't for those pesky characters it would have worked too!.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Simlasa said:

The idea of bringing mechanical precision to spellcasting, and allowing the spell to be cast at some later time by some unsuspecting interloper.

That is an interesting idea and it makes sense, people being the curious warmongers that they are but I had to mention this and wasn't it made by someone very similar to a Mechanical preacher?  🤪

Edited by Butters

18 hours ago, Firebird01 said:

A clockwork bomb mechanism designed to work on alchemical principles - basically loaded with philosophers stones and planted in the army laboratories

Cool idea, I always forget that those stones can be explosive, a chain reaction would be terrifying plus who knows what weird side effects such a thing could create. 

Edited by Butters

The Alchemical fire spewer,

A heretical mix of alchemy and reversed engineered clockwork.

Gun Combat
Damage, 1D8+1 (Armour applies)
Range, 12m
Load, 4
Str/Dex, 10/10
Size, L
Enc, 4
Cost, Not available to buy.
Holds four shots, fires every second round as it takes time for the clockwork bellows to pump up the systems pressure enough to fire again.

Fumble, Whoosh, wielder takes the number of shots left in the tanks as damage +1 from shrapnel.

This game needs a luck roll as a way to see if anything else ignites though I guess easy enough to decide story wise I considered that the target would need to pass a Sanity test as well after being struck by this weapon but thought that was a little too much. Also is Gun combat the correct skill or should it be Close combat to represent the area of effect? not aiming just spraying.

7a7c452f352d293ee388b72712f83104.jpg

• 3 months later...

Castlemeres Gate of Fathomless Separation, A rare contraption created by the heretical Alchemist Sir, Azazel Castlemere.
A staunch Royalist, previously only known for his debauched and hedonistic lifestyle but during the war, he led a raid deep into Parliamentarian territory which resulted in the kidnapping of several promising Clockwork Preachers from Cambridge. Instead of handing these valuable prisoners over he decided to keep them at his country mansion and using their skills he created the clockwork shell of the device. He then infused this clockwork device with the darkest of alchemical rituals. There are dark rumours that he also sacrificed the Preachers in the rituals final terrible moments.

The secret of its creation was fortunately soon lost as Castlemere mansion was destroyed four days later during a huge conflagration presumably along with its owner during a raid by persons unknown. When asked all that the local villagers could remember of that terrible night was the sound of loud ticking.

The Character moves sections of the device which changes the intricate brass designs etched into its sides all the time chanting a specific three-word mantra in Latin the Character must have been to the location they want to travel to before and keep an image of that location in their mind. When the final section is pushed into place (There will be an audible click and the  device will become hot to the touch) the Character then inserts the brass key and winds the device thirteen times, quickly placing the device onto the floor they step back as the device unfolds into a gateway which hopefully leads to the Characters chosen destination.

Persistence roll per 10 miles of distance travelled,
Pass = Sanity hit 1D4+1
Fail = Sanity hit 1D6+1 plus 1D4 damage

The G.M can use the failure to do a variety of things my quick list,

1,  Suddenly bleeding heavily from the nose and eyes the Character staggers back and away from the Gate of Fathomless Separation and falls to the floor having gone nowhere for all the pain suffered.

2, The Gate opens and the Character steps through only to reappear on the other side of the location twenty minutes later covered in shallow cuts and vomit, hopefully, he doesn't reappear with strangers now present.

3, The Gate opens and the Character steps through and arrives somewhere (Not the location they wanted) and falls 20 foot.

4, The Gate opens and the Character steps through and arrives somewhere (Not the location they wanted) and finds out that 1D3 items up to and including weapons and clothing has disappeared.

5. The Gate opens and the Character steps through and arrives somewhere (Not the location they wanted) and finds out that their appearance has changed somehow, hair, eyes or skin  a different colour, fatter or thinner or just an otherworldly air about them which causes animals to shy away from or attack them whenever they are in the Character's presence.

Or something equally bonkers it's a great MacGuffin.

gg.PNG

Edited by Butters