orlanthi cults in Umathela

Manu

Unless this has changed since the publication of the Thunder Rebels/Storm Tribe/Barbarian Adventures trilogy, one big difference should be that Heler is a more important god in Umathela than in Dragon Pass. Another, is that the Umath myths and rites could very well be more prominent among the Umathings than among the Genertelan Orlanthi.

The Orlanthi of the region anyway are mostly sheep farmers who migrated there from Maniria before it was broken and invaded, so their religion should be similar to the Manirian cults of the more isolated uncompromising inland clans, but without the strong Esrolian influences that are found in Third Age Maniria.

So I'd say similar to the Sartar cults, but without the specifically Dragon Pass ones, larger numbers of Heler worshippers, and somewhat different Ernalda and Esrola subcults and their seasonal agricultural rites. And there are probably also some minor or hero cults involving local relationships with the aldryami, some of which could be of Manirian origin (where some similar relationships exist), whilst others might be original to Umathela. Their warriors are probably a bit more violently-minded than the Sartarite ones, from the Umath influence, which in turn would colour the local cults. OTOH there would be no worship at all, not even propitiatory, of Valind or any of his children and subcults ; there might instead be a local evil heat/fire deity, strong in Fire Season, that some might worship in secret.

Personally, I'd avoid the HW/HQ era weird cult names that were made for various unofficial publications, and just keep the standard cult names -- the migration to Umathela occurred within History, so it would seem hard IMO to justify any truly radical differences ; though of course YGWV

There might be some blue-skinned Orlanthi families or individuals there BTW, but I'm very uncertain about that, and quite unsure what influence this would have on the religion.

Edited by Julian Lord
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Manu said:

I don't have the books... Then why is Heler more important in Umathela than in Dragon Pass? Because of the Monsoon?

Also, sheep is the animal of Heler. But it seems that in Umathela, Pig is the main herd animal.

Because the Umathings were originally Manirians, where the Heler cult is more important than in Sartar (even climate-wise, as the Heler winds originate from that region and are dominant there through much of the year) and because during the time of their migration, there remained an actual remnant of the ancient Helering people (who were a tribe of Orlanthi separate from but related to the Theyalans) among them. There might or there might not remain in Umathela some families or even some clans that still consider themselves to be Helerings, but about that I just don't know, except that the Helerings have all but disappeared by the end of the Third Age, except from myth and memory.

As for the Monsoon, I wouldn't call it the origin of Heler worship there (which would be Manirian), but rather as a reason why it remains lively even 1000 years after the migration. Certainly, the local Heler cult would have monsoon magic.

I won't burden you with any 90%+ irrelevant arcana ...

As for herd animals, Guide to Glorantha has :

The Orlanthi of the interior are mixed farming-pastoralists. They raise sheep, cattle, and pigs, and grow apples, barley, beans, grapes, millet, peas, and wheat. Hunting and fishing are more important sources of food than for most other Orlanthi cultures. Indeed, the Orik tribe is primarily hunter-gatherer. Timber is an important source of wealth, but in most regions trees can only be cut down with the permission of the local Aldryami.

I'm suggesting it's mostly sheep, as this isn't just normal among the Orlanthi, but in practice you'll pretty much always end up with more sheep than cattle and swine if you farm all three. (though FWIW, I have written rather unofficially about pig goddess worship in Maniria, where the geography is commonly less suitable to sheep or cattle farming than in Dragon Pass ... 😋 )

Edited by Julian Lord

5 hours ago, Manu said:

For instance, Orlanthi warriors on war galley would worship a subcult that can give them access to some Sorcery spells (I don't know yet if it would be Air/movement spells, or Water spell, as the rune chosen to master has no direct link to the Rune of the character)

My Glorantha has Orlanth Aquarius, the Wind on the Waters, that part of Orlanth that conquered the Seas and Oceans, who dove deep and fathered merfolk, who provides safe winds for sailors and calms sea-storms. I created it for two reasons, one to find a home for the Orlanth Conquers Water spells/myths and two to annoy one of the players in our RQ2 group who claimed that "Everything is about Orlanth". My version doesn't have sorcery, though.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

4 hours ago, soltakss said:

My Glorantha has Orlanth Aquarius, the Wind on the Waters, that part of Orlanth that conquered the Seas and Oceans, who dove deep and fathered merfolk, who provides safe winds for sailors and calms sea-storms. I created it for two reasons, one to find a home for the Orlanth Conquers Water spells/myths and two to annoy one of the players in our RQ2 group who claimed that "Everything is about Orlanth". My version doesn't have sorcery, though.

Not sure how relevant, but most waves in RW are made from surface winds, so there is a very literal interaction between air and water.

Makes we think of how Heimdall had "nine winnow mothers". Maybe there's some wave-nymphs who are either Orlanth's lovers or daughters?

On 11/4/2018 at 9:13 PM, Sir_Godspeed said:

Not sure how relevant, but most waves in RW are made from surface winds, so there is a very literal interaction between air and water.

Makes we think of how Heimdall had "nine winnow mothers". Maybe there's some wave-nymphs who are either Orlanth's lovers or daughters?

Very relevant. Orlanth Aquarius is one of the ways that waves are made. 

There are a lot of nymphs who were Orlanth's lovers and daughters. Wave-nymphs are just one kind. Orlanth got around and shared his love.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

2 hours ago, soltakss said:

There are a lot of nymphs who were Orlanth's lovers and daughters. Wave-nymphs are just one kind. Orlanth got around and shared his love.

Orlanth Amorous, that part of Orlanth that wore polyester suits and hung out in bars and nightculbs. Has me looking at  "Shimmer Kittens" in a whole new light. 

Edited by Atgxtg
  • Like 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.